Attire for Northern Isles Cruise - August

surgie

We are taking a 14-day Northern Isles cruise in early August 2019.

(Amsterdam>Newcastle upon Tyne>Edinburgh>Reykjavik >Isafjordur>Akureyri>Alesund>Bergen>Amsterdam)

I know the "dressing in layers" rule for excursions. But what does the attire on the ship tend to be for women? Are summery styles appropriate (sundresses, shorts, white jeans, etc.) I'm expecting the ports being on the cooler side so it's hard to imagine switching over to "summer clothes" on board...yet it's still August. Thanks for help.

I've found that during any cruising in cooler areas of the world that it tends to be cooler ON the ship also. So, I have tended to take appropriate clothing for that. You will probably have some days that are "warm", but I wouldn't bring a lot of clothes for that. Iceland, in my experience, has ranged from 40's with wind/rain to 70 and sunny one time. Average for Akureyri in August is 51.

Hope this helps a bit.

Linda R.

We are taking a 14-day Northern Isles cruise in early August 2019.

(Amsterdam>Newcastle upon Tyne>Edinburgh>Reykjavik >Isafjordur>Akureyri>Alesund>Bergen>Amsterdam)

I know the "dressing in layers" rule for excursions. But what does the attire on the ship tend to be for women? Are summery styles appropriate (sundresses, shorts, white jeans, etc.) I'm expecting the ports being on the cooler side so it's hard to imagine switching over to "summer clothes" on board...yet it's still August. Thanks for help.

I did a very similar cruise to yours two years ago in July and will be sailing again this August. I found I needed more t-shirts during the day and only one long sleeve top. The ship can be cool so bring a wooly type shawl. I also brought: fleece hoodie, rain/wind proof nylon jacket, gloves, tam, black dress and slacks for evening, capris (yes, I wore them more than once) and jeans. I remember sitting outside in the sun in Greenland and having to take my hoodie off. Hope this helps.

On our first trip to Northern Europe was wonderful but I packed more for "summer" and ended up buying Norwegian sweater and some other "warmer" things. The next trip I packed more long pants, long sleeved cotton tees, a fleece, light gloves, silk scarf which were all used. The ship felt on the cooler side and I was glad to have a variety of things to wear including a pashmina.

Thanks for the information, we are taking this cruise on the Zuiderdam July 5 2019. Went to Alaska, July 2017 on the Amsterdam. The weather was nice in most ports 60-70 F. but found on sea days and evenings the ship is a little cool for my wife. We live in Southern Calif. She plans to bring more winter clothes for this cruise. I hope some of the cruisers taking this cruise in 2018 will post reviews. They are a great help in planning.