Carnival Military Discount

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 05:19 PM.
#21
DC area
61 Posts
Joined Mar 2009
Originally posted by jenale80
What is the discount like with CArnival?
One example of the Carnival Discount, the Carnival Valor departing from Miami on 10 Apr 11 for a Western Caribbean cruise currently has an 8M cabin (i.e., Aft cabin with an extended balcony) regular priced at $889/pp. The military rate for that same cabin is $724/pp, that's a $165/pp savings.

Note, Carnival Super Saver sometime are less expensive (available at least 5 months from debarkation) than the military rate. However, Supper Savers carry more restrictions/penalty fees in terms of changes and or cancelations prior to final payment than the military rate.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Past Cruises:
Apr 17 - Coral Princess, Cartagena, Costa Rica, Panama Canal
Dec 16 - Carnival Elation, New Years, Bahamas
Sep 16 - Carnival Vista, Mediterranean
May 16 - Allure of the Sea, Labadee, western Caribbean
Dec 15 - Regal Princess, Western Caribbean
Sep 15 - Grandeur of the sea, Bermuda
May 15 - Carnival Splender, CTN
Aug 14 - Crown Princess, Alaska
Apr 14 - Carnival Sensation, Nassau
Dec 13 - Ruby Princess, Cozumel
Oct 13 - Carnival Glory, CTN
Apr 13 - Carnival Breeze, Nassau/Ocho Rios/Grand Turk
Dec 12- Carnival Ecstasy, Key West & Bahamas
Oct 12 - Carnival Glory, CTN
Apr 12 - Carnival Freedom, Southern Caribbean
Dec 11 - Carnival Imagination, Bahamas
Apr 11 - Carnival Valor, Western Caribbean
Oct 10 - Carnival Glory, CTN
Apr 10 - Carnival Liberty, Western Caribbean
Sep 09 - Carnival Victory, Southeastern Caribbean
Apr 09 - Carnival Sensation, Nassua Bahamas
#22
The beautiful AR Ozarks
213 Posts
Joined May 2008
I emailed to ask if Carnival is going to offer Military specials again in May this year... and I got back a 'yes we will'

So give them a call in May.

I know they have done this the past 3/4yrs for sure.
Like some of the others have stated, since we are on file as military they usually call us to tell us about the specials.
#23
Lakes Region of New Hampshire
158 Posts
Joined Mar 2011
Originally posted by TigerLady
And good luck finding a cruise that honors/gives the discount. DH and I are both retired Air Force, and have yet to find one.

Thank you BOTH for your service to our country!!!
I just learned about the existence of Cruise Critic two weeks ago when I was attempting to learn about the Spirit's repositioning cruise to Sydney. We're now booked on the first of the repositioning cruises, and I've learned a LOT on Cruise Critic!! My lasting impression is that the majority of folks who post here book their cruises through Carnival; travel agents seem to take a beating. To attempt to be helpful to you, I'll keep the list of our cruises when I post this (I usually skip it), and I'll share that only with Holland America have we not gotten a military discount--and that's because my husband is no longer active duty. Before I met and married my current husband, I was travelling as the widow of a retired USAF service member--and I always got the military discount that way too. The most important thing I have to share is that I/we have the most WONDERFUL travel agent imaginable: This lovely lady books us with all the discounts she can find (she has copies of the DD214 on file), and then SHE keeps an eye out for price reductions, files for them, and then tells us how much the fare has dropped!! As if that's not enough, we always seem to wind up with a substantial on board credit. With Holland America we wound up with a great rate because our TA found a group, and we got that group's rate without having to do anything, buy anything, or listen to anything! Cruise Critic is not the place for commercial advertising, but I believe I can tell you there are websites out there that cater to military folks, either current or former, who want to book cruises! Before I forget for the second time, are either of you members of the Air Force Association? If you are, you may want to check there; if not, then you may want to consider joining: That's how I originally found our great TA!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
LUV2CRUZ:
1986 - Sun Lines/Stella Solaris
2001 - Orient Lines/Marco Polo
2002 - Orient Lines/Crown Odyssey
2003 - Orient Lines/Marco Polo
2004 - Holland America Line/Maasdam
2004 - Princess Cruises/Pacific Princess
2004 - HebrideanIsland Cruises/Hebridean Princess
2005 - Holland America Line/Rotterdam
2006 - Celebrity Cruises/Mercury
2006 - Princess Cruises/Sapphire Princess
2006 - Princess Cruises/Sapphire Princess
2007 - Princess Cruises/Sea Princess
2008 - Princess Cruises/Sun Princess
2009 - Carnvial Cruise Line/Splendor
2009 - Carnival Cruise Line/Splendor
2009 - Carnival Cruise Line/Splendor
2011 - Holland America Line/Statendam
2012 - Carnival/Spirit (Sydney repositioning)
#24
dallas tx
472 Posts
Joined Apr 2008
we booked a mediterrean cruise 6 mths in advance. after finding the cruise critic boards and reading about military discounts i called our travel agent and requested they check to see if we could get the discount. we were given a $1500 obc. i was shocked and even more shocked when we closed our on board account that were given a cash refund on the obc that was not used. we have never gotten that kind of discount since. i am guessing that we really were overpaid for that cruise. i always ask for the military discount but it has not been very much less, maybe $50 or less.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature



ncl norway 1993
rccl adventure of the seas 2003
rccl rhapsody of the seas 2004
ccl conquest 2006
ccl freedom 2008 Mediterrean
ccl ecstasy 2009
ccl freedom 2009
ccl liberty 2011
Caribbean Princess 2012 transatlantic
ccl Fantasy 2012
#25
37 Posts
Joined May 2011
So, I'm completely new to cruising, currently working on booking our first cruise for my R&R in Sept, (In AFG at the moment) and would love to find a good TA or PVP like you guys are mentioning. If anyone wants to send me a good site or a name to ask for at Carnival, my email is th0r0ngil @ hotmail . com
#26
299 Posts
Joined Mar 2011
Originally posted by Randomnist
So, I'm completely new to cruising, currently working on booking our first cruise for my R&R in Sept, (In AFG at the moment) and would love to find a good TA or PVP like you guys are mentioning. If anyone wants to send me a good site or a name to ask for at Carnival, my email is th0r0ngil @ hotmail . com
Thank you for your service to our country!
#27
111 Posts
Joined Mar 2011
Originally posted by TigerLady
And good luck finding a cruise that honors/gives the discount. DH and I are both retired Air Force, and have yet to find one.
We went on the Carnival Inspiration and had already paid the balance, but someone told me about their discounts, so I called and they were good enought to give us a military upgrade. It always pays to call them and ask the worse that will happen is they will tell you none are available for the cruise.
Happy Cruising
#28
AZ
556 Posts
Joined May 2009
Just two weeks ago we made arrangments to travel on Carnival for June 20th. My husband was asked by the travel gal if he has military time. The % off depended on the price of the cruise. Ours is 5 days out of Long Beach and the shipboard credit is $100. After many cruises over the years this is the first time asked about military involvement.
#29
North Carolina
5 Posts
Joined Jun 2011
I'm cruising in July with Carnival and when I asked about a military discount (I'm still active duty at 22 years) the Carnival rep told me no discount for active duty, only retired...so maybe next year!LOL
#30
FL
2,887 Posts
Joined Jul 2005
Originally posted by redwolf28386
I'm cruising in July with Carnival and when I asked about a military discount (I'm still active duty at 22 years) the Carnival rep told me no discount for active duty, only retired...so maybe next year!LOL
I think you should contact your PVP or Carnival rep and check again. Whoever told you this was wrong! You have to either be active duty, retired or served two years and had an honorable discarge.

Now it might be that this particular cruise that you chose has no military discount as they are not available on all cruises.

And "Thank You" for your service!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
The question to ask yourself before you close your eyes tonight is:
"Did You Make A Difference Today?"

]






#31
Parker, CO
1,803 Posts
Joined Nov 2005
Originally posted by USAF&wife
I have seen several posts on various boards about a military discount offered by Carnival, but when I booked our cruise on their website I never saw it.

How do I get this discount?

Thanks,
Tamara
With CCL there are several ways to get a good discount. Everyone has there own opinion, here's mine: I use a CCL PVP who has been very good to us. We usually book the early saver rate which allows us to get any discounts available up until a week before the cruise. We also purchase the $100 vouchers while on board which we use on our next cruise (you DO NOT need to book a cruise at the time you purchase a voucher). The $100 you paid for the voucher goes towards your overall payment plus you get $100 OBC. Vouchers are good for 2 years and can be turned in for a full refund. Watch for the current reules because CCL has a tendency to change them as time goes on. As far as checking the rates I look at both *********** and CCL's websites to price cabins. If you have interline privileges then a CCL PVP can help you. We also have friends who gamble on the ships and they get a discount for that (not sure what it is or how much they spend on gambling).
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
40 Carnival Cruises '96-'16
Carnival Magic - 10/17
Carnival Miracle - 11/17
#32
Swansea
16 Posts
Joined Mar 2011
for us Brits - if you want the discount use princess lines - as P&O only give the discount to shareholders..... Yet they are both part of carnival....
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature


Oceana - Western Med Sept 2010
Ventura - TA Barbados Oct 2011

Grey funnel line - 1989-1996
#33
barry
168 Posts
Joined Nov 2011
Originally posted by Lebreos of gower
for us Brits - if you want the discount use princess lines - as P&O only give the discount to shareholders..... Yet they are both part of carnival....
Hi Guys
Having served more than 23 years in British Royal Air Force, would I be eligeable for the forces discount scheme operated by American cruise lines the same as ex forces personel who have served in the Canadian armed forces
#34
396 Posts
Joined Mar 2011
The Carnival Splendor is repositioning from Long Beach to Manhattan. There are three cruises involved (B2B2B):
February 3, 2013, Long Beach to Santiago
February 20, 2013, Santiago to Buenos Aires
March 3, 2013, Buenos Aires to Manhattan

Although there isn't a military discount currently being offered, if you book on the EARLY SAVER rate, you can score the discounts as they become available.

We are using the same travel agent who scored us such a great deal when Splendor repositioned to Long Beach from Fort Lauderdale in early 2009, and she told me today that she will keep checking for the military discount and credit us the difference when it becomes available. She believes that if it is not offered before Veterans Day, it will be offered then (that's when she scored us a practically giveaway price in 2008).

I check "Military Cruisers" every time I log on, and I'll post back here as soon as I learn more in case anyone is interested. If you have the time available, please consider joining us: There is an active roll call already!
#35
St. George, UT
342 Posts
Joined Oct 2010
Originally posted by MilVet
With CCL there are several ways to get a good discount. Everyone has there own opinion, here's mine: I use a CCL PVP who has been very good to us. We usually book the early saver rate which allows us to get any discounts available up until a week before the cruise. We also purchase the $100 vouchers while on board which we use on our next cruise (you DO NOT need to book a cruise at the time you purchase a voucher). The $100 you paid for the voucher goes towards your overall payment plus you get $100 OBC. Vouchers are good for 2 years and can be turned in for a full refund. Watch for the current reules because CCL has a tendency to change them as time goes on. As far as checking the rates I look at both *********** and CCL's websites to price cabins. If you have interline privileges then a CCL PVP can help you. We also have friends who gamble on the ships and they get a discount for that (not sure what it is or how much they spend on gambling).
Don't forget that by buying 100 shares of CCL stock you can get shipboard credit on every cruise line owned by Carnival. That is well worth the price of the stock, if you cruise a lot. I cruised a lot with the navy and Coast Guard but never did get cruise credits for that, dang it!!!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Orinoco, 1932, HAL, to Mexico
Nieuw Amsterdam,1938, HAL, to U.S.
Veendam,1952, HAL, to Holland
Maasdam,1960, HAL, to Holland
Noordam,1999, HAL, to Alaska
Golden Princess,2007, PCL, To Mexico
Rijndam, 2008, HAL, to Mexico
Golden Princess, 2009, PCL to Hawaii
Coral Princess, 2009, PCL to Panama
Island Princess, 2009, PCL to Alaska
Island Princess, 2009, PCL to Canada
Island Princess, 2009, PCL to San Francisco
Sapphire Princess, 2009, PCL, to Mexico
Island Princess,2010, PCL, to Alaska
Sapphire Princess,2011,PCL, to Mexico
Star Princess,2011,PCL, to Caribbean
Sapphire Princess,2011,PCL, to South Pacific
Coral Princess, 2012,PCL,East Bound Panama
Coral Princess, 2012,PCL,West Bound Panama
Crown Princess 2012,PCL, Meditteranean
Crown Princess 2012,PCL, Western Caribbean
Star Princess 2013,PCL, to Hawaii
Golden Princess 2014,PCL, S. America-Cape Horn
Sun Princess 2014,PCL, New Zealand

EMAIL
#36
kansas
11 Posts
Joined Nov 2011
Can you use military discount w/ Carnival's ES discount? Out TA is not familiar w/ this. Thanks for your help.
Lloyd- I served in Viet Nam 68 & 69.
PS Thank you to all those who serve our wonderful country, because of all that have served, we enjoy our freedom. Proud to be an American.
#37
FL
2,887 Posts
Joined Jul 2005
Originally posted by band it
Can you use military discount w/ Carnival's ES discount? Out TA is not familiar w/ this. Thanks for your help.
Lloyd- I served in Viet Nam 68 & 69.
PS Thank you to all those who serve our wonderful country, because of all that have served, we enjoy our freedom. Proud to be an American.

I'm pretty sure that you cannot combine the two. Usually the ES is less than the Military rate, but it has too many stipulations. We would never book ES for this reason. I have found that our Military rate is only about $20 more and well worth knowing we can make changes if we have to without incurring change fees. Hope this helps. Might be worth a call to Carnival and ask them just to make sure.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
The question to ask yourself before you close your eyes tonight is:
"Did You Make A Difference Today?"

]






#38
Boston, MA
2,084 Posts
Joined Mar 2010
I am not retired from the USAF, but a little over three year veteran
in the 60's. Never heard of the USAF Association.
Of course I have been out for a while..

Where can I find out about this Association?

Have gotten a Military rate on most of my Carnival cruises.
Occasionally though the ES rate was better.


[email protected]

Thanks for any help you can give.
If you e-mail me please just put
USAF in the subject line..

Thanks again.


Originally posted by MountainLakesDrive
Thank you BOTH for your service to our country!!!
I just learned about the existence of Cruise Critic two weeks ago when I was attempting to learn about the Spirit's repositioning cruise to Sydney. We're now booked on the first of the repositioning cruises, and I've learned a LOT on Cruise Critic!! My lasting impression is that the majority of folks who post here book their cruises through Carnival; travel agents seem to take a beating. To attempt to be helpful to you, I'll keep the list of our cruises when I post this (I usually skip it), and I'll share that only with Holland America have we not gotten a military discount--and that's because my husband is no longer active duty. Before I met and married my current husband, I was travelling as the widow of a retired USAF service member--and I always got the military discount that way too. The most important thing I have to share is that I/we have the most WONDERFUL travel agent imaginable: This lovely lady books us with all the discounts she can find (she has copies of the DD214 on file), and then SHE keeps an eye out for price reductions, files for them, and then tells us how much the fare has dropped!! As if that's not enough, we always seem to wind up with a substantial on board credit. With Holland America we wound up with a great rate because our TA found a group, and we got that group's rate without having to do anything, buy anything, or listen to anything! Cruise Critic is not the place for commercial advertising, but I believe I can tell you there are websites out there that cater to military folks, either current or former, who want to book cruises! Before I forget for the second time, are either of you members of the Air Force Association? If you are, you may want to check there; if not, then you may want to consider joining: That's how I originally found our great TA!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Toes in the water, Ass in the sand, Not a worry in the world, a Cold Beer in my Hand, Life is Good Today!!! Zac Brown Band!!

I have been a lot of places, but never in Cahoots. Where is that? I have however been in sane. They have no airport. You have to be driven there. I have made many trips.

Tell me, and I forget,
Show me, and I remember
Involve me, and I understand
Chinese Proverb {/B}

















NCL Escape 2/10/18
Carnival Dream, 11/26/17
Anthem of the Seas Super Bowl Cruise
February 5, 2016.
Carnival Glory, 2/11/16
Carnival Dream, 10/31/16
SS Mandalay, 7/3/16, Grenada
Carnival Breeze, 4/9/16
RCI Anthem of the Seas, 2/4/16
Princess Regal, 1/24/16
Carnival Conquest, 10/31/15
Carnival Freedom, 12/27/14

Princess Ruby, 1/24/15
Carnival Liberty, 2/15/14

Carnival Breeze, 12/15/13
Carnival Glory, 12/9/12
Carnival Glory, 2/5/12
Navigator OT Seas, 12/4/11
Carnival Glory, 2/4/11
Norwegian Dawn, 12/12/10
Carnival Fantasy, 11/4/98
Carnival Destiny, 12/14/97
NCL Norway, 4/6/94
#39
Houston
20 Posts
Joined Jun 2015
Originally posted by USAF&wife
I have seen several posts on various boards about a military discount offered by Carnival, but when I booked our cruise on their website I never saw it.

How do I get this discount?

Thanks,
Tamara


Dear USAF & Wife ...
We have enjoyed the discounts Princess offers sailing from the Port of Houston during Veteran's Day ( week of ) ... All Branches of our Military are represented on board one night during the cruise.
Hope to start a USAF ( SE Houston area ) Cruise ship page with Cruise Critic.
Nice to meet you both ... D & S in Houston ( retired USAF )
#40
Canada
13 Posts
Joined Sep 2014
Originally posted by USAF&wife
I have seen several posts on various boards about a military discount offered by Carnival, but when I booked our cruise on their website I never saw it.

How do I get this discount?

Thanks,
Tamara
You don't. Try to book a cruise, then see what kind of pricing is available. Out of 5 cruises, I got a rebate once. 2 more times the rebates were there but were actually more expensive than regular price for people who choose to let Carnival pick their room, or returning guests, or, wait for it, special foreigner rates. You could simply consider their military rebates as non existent. On my first solo cruise, 4th overall, I saved a fortune by choosing the "let Carnival decide" rate. Military rate was only available for upper decks with balcony and I don't care for those. $1300 vs $239 for a quiet room midship, I'll take the room without windows any time. When I want to see what's outside, I go outside.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature