wider doors on Princess?

DRS/NC

On my next cruise, I plan to rent a scooter for the first time. My TA has booked an HC cabin for me because I'll need the wider doorway for the scooter.

However, I don't need the accessible cabin facilities -- just the wider door. I don't want to take an HC cabin that I don't really need, but how do I get the scooter inside the cabin?

Does anyone know if any other Caribbean Princess cabin doors are wider than 21"? I'll gladly change cabins if possible!

[i need the scooter because I can't walk very far. Since I travel solo, a scooter is my safest choice.]

Thanks!

You cant be sure of being assigned a cabin where the hallway will be wide enough for you to line the scooter up to get in the door...keep your hc cabin to be sure...and enjoy!.......when i finally allowed myself to have a scooter i found it much safer and my husband worried about me so much less....

• 2 weeks later...

The FRAME of the door is 21 inches with the door OPENING in. The door usually only opens a little past 90 degrees. The resulting OPENING is only 19 1/2 inches. While there may be a possible to put a scooter inside a regular cabin, you would literally have to climb over it to move around.

We rented a scooter for my husband to use on our cruise last year for the first  time.  We also did not need or want an accessible cabin. A few posters cautioned a bit too much about the size of the doors, hallways, problems getting past carts in the hallway, etc.   However,  other posters were more encouraging, thankfully.  We used one of the two scooter companies most often mentioned on these boards. I found the agent I dealt with to be pretty knowledgeable about whether or not the average sized scooter my husband needed would fit through the cabin door of our particular type of cabin on the  particular ship  we would be cruising on. (Keep in mind there are different sizes of scooters So when you are inquiring make sure you know the width of the scooter you will renting.)  I believe you absolutely must talk to you cruise line’s accessible department as well as the company you are renting the scooter from. Don’t go by the word of just one or the other.

One thing you need to be careful of  besides the doorway size is the configuration of your cabin (if you do not have an accessible cabin). Even though we sailed on a very large, newish ship, had our bed not been located on the window side of our cabin – as opposed to the side of the cabin nearer the entry door – the parked scooter would have made it nearly impossible to get to the bathroom or door without climbing over it.  From looking at  cabin photos of our ship online, I was concerned about that. I phoned the cruise line’s accessible department and they told me they would have to email someone on the ship to see  which end of the cabin our bed would be on and would get back to me when they received the response. After a couple of weeks I had not heard anything so I contacted them again. This time I heard back in a few days. I received word that the cabin we had chosen was not the right configuration! So the cruise line gave me a choice between two other cabins where the bed was located in the right spot.  Most of the ships built within the last few years probably have doors just barely wide enough to get an average sized scooter in. However, you must pay attention to the space within snd layout of the cabin. I would worry about cruise lines that  are known to have less square footage in their average sized cabins  (like NCL). Also, smaller, older ships because those are the ones that tend to have the more narrow hallways.

Good luck getting everything straightened out! I had to really talk my husband into the scooter but he was really glad he had it.