AMA Vietnam

travrealtor

Definitely not "AMA Hype", Sheila - actual feedback.

Hi Mike,

Since you have direct knowledge of the Amakaterina, perhaps it would be a good idea to start a thread on AMA in Russia. Thus questions/comments on AMA in Russia would be focused and easily found by those who use the search function.

That would also help to focus this thread on AMA in Vietnam/Cambodia.

Again, thank you for the feedback and detailed report on AMA Mekong.

Greetings,

We are leaving Vietnam this morning, back to California. For the past two full days, we engaged Zoom for a Saigon city tour and a tour to the Cu Chi Tunnels. The tour assistance was great and, in particular for the city tour, helped us visit 12-14 stops in a single day that would have been difficult on our own. Moreover, we were able to expand our knowledge of life in Saigon from our conversations with Zoom.

On the AMALotus, we met another group that was interested in a Saigon tour and they were able to arrange city tour services from one of Zoom's colleagues after contacting Zoom via email from the AMALotus.

All in all, a great trip from start to finish.

Bob

Greetings,

We are leaving Vietnam this morning, back to California. For the past two full days, we engaged Zoom for a Saigon city tour and a tour to the Cu Chi Tunnels. The tour assistance was great and, in particular for the city tour, helped us visit 12-14 stops in a single day that would have been difficult on our own. Moreover, we were able to expand our knowledge of life in Saigon from our conversations with Zoom.

On the AMALotus, we met another group that was interested in a Saigon tour and they were able to arrange city tour services from one of Zoom's colleagues after contacting Zoom via email from the AMALotus.

All in all, a great trip from start to finish.

Bob

Bob, hope you give a review on the cruise when you return. WE do not go until July 2012 but would love to hear about the AMALotus's first cruises.

Mike, what did you mean by the Aussies think we are nuts?? What tipping are you referring to??? Tours?????? Daily tipping????? What exactly are the tips on a river cruise??? This will be our first time on a river boat.

Thanks

just put hold on this cruise for next Dec...have a few questions,,,what airline did you fly ...how long,,did you go coach or Business,,,if so did seats recline,,asked this of agent,,but said must wait for details ..just a rough guess would be nice.

Also,regarding visas,,just says in brochure to contact your consulate,,how did you do this...will contact travel agent before my 7 day hold runs out,,but always like to know details to be sure..

Will be taking first AMA cruise to Danube in May,,,but wanted to book xmas one for next year just to be safe.Will print up your review and look at it in more detail.

Mike, what did you mean by the Aussies think we are nuts?? What tipping are you referring to??? Tours?????? Daily tipping????? What exactly are the tips on a river cruise??? This will be our first time on a river boat.

Thanks

Australians (like much of the rest of the world) frown on the United States' reliance on tipping to make sure that service folks make a decent wage (there have been numerous past threads on this subject on Cruise Critic). Australians pay their service folks a decent wage, whether they're food servers, cab drivers, hotel porters, etc. In my trips to Australia, I've had service folks refuse tips, saying that they feel it's degrading. That's why many Australians (and Brits and others) are very upset about being asked to provide gratuities on cruise ships that carry mostly Americans. Recommended tips on river cruises are approximately $10 - $12 per person per day, which is split among dining staff, room stewards, etc. The cruise director is generally tipped separately (nominally $5/person/day, but variable). Tour guides and bus drivers are tipped separately - we give $2 to $3 for the guide and $1 for the driver, but again, it's voluntary and variable.

Also,regarding visas,,just says in brochure to contact your consulate,,how did you do this...will contact travel agent before my 7 day hold runs out,,but always like to know details to be sure..

We used a Vietnam "Visa on Demand" service, which is considerably less expensive than going through either the consulate or a visa service such as ZVS. Please e-mail me at mbrill*at*dc*dot*rr*dot*com for details on who I used. I would only recommend going this route if your flight in Hanoi or Ho Chi Minh city arrives during normal business hours, as you need to present your documents in a separate line at the airport in order to get your actual visa. We flew Cathay Pacific economy class from LAX to Hong Kong (13 hours), and after a 2-hour layover on Dragon Air from Hong Kong to Hanoi (2 hours). Good service and food; seats reclined as in most economy class seats. Hope this helps.

Australians (like much of the rest of the world) frown on the United States' reliance on tipping to make sure that service folks make a decent wage (there have been numerous past threads on this subject on Cruise Critic). Australians pay their service folks a decent wage, whether they're food servers, cab drivers, hotel porters, etc. In my trips to Australia, I've had service folks refuse tips, saying that they feel it's degrading. That's why many Australians (and Brits and others) are very upset about being asked to provide gratuities on cruise ships that carry mostly Americans. Recommended tips on river cruises are approximately $10 - $12 per person per day, which is split among dining staff, room stewards, etc. The cruise director is generally tipped separately (nominally $5/person/day, but variable). Tour guides and bus drivers are tipped separately - we give $2 to $3 for the guide and $1 for the driver, but again, it's voluntary and variable.

We used a Vietnam "Visa on Demand" service, which is considerably less expensive than going through either the consulate or a visa service such as ZVS. Please e-mail me at mbrill*at*dc*dot*rr*dot*com for details on who I used. I would only recommend going this route if your flight in Hanoi or Ho Chi Minh city arrives during normal business hours, as you need to present your documents in a separate line at the airport in order to get your actual visa. We flew Cathay Pacific economy class from LAX to Hong Kong (13 hours), and after a 2-hour layover on Dragon Air from Hong Kong to Hanoi (2 hours). Good service and food; seats reclined as in most economy class seats. Hope this helps.

I agree with the tipping. Much rather pay better wage and strike the tipping. Then if you don't want to use the person, or go to the restaurant, etc.. you don't have to. I am working on a banquet center now for a rehearsal dinner. REHEARSAL I must say. Food 28.95 per person. (buffet) And the tips are 20% of the bill and taxes also abover that. Shocking. OH, and the chair covers are $5 per chair also. Hmmmmm By the time we are done, we are out $1500 for a rehearsal dinner. Amazing.

By the way - I have never heard of tipping a cruise director. Why would you do that? He should be making a top wage for sure. I have heard that people are tipping the person/guide doing the excursions. I have never had anyone not take a tip for sure. Just in New Orleans - we did three tours and tipped all of them. By the way, everyone I have ever known that works a job that gets tips - complains about what they get.

Visa. The more I think about this visa the more worried I get. First of all, we will be in Barcelona, Azores, etc in April. Then IN May/June we will be in Dubai, India, Malyasia, and Singapore. So I feel I need to do something that can get me a visa quickly since I can't give me passport up and not have it for those trips. And you can't get a visa until 3 months prior. Does this service ask for your passport prior to entrance? Or did they take it all right at the airport and give it to you. Did you need photos? Fees? I think I will email you in the next few days and have you give me more information on it if you will.

FLight - first of all I better check and see what time we arrive in Vietnam (we are flying there on our own and doing some tours prior to the cruise)

We are flying with miles so bumped up to Business Class. Figured having that seat that lays almost flat is worth it. Plus, our own tvs. (hopefully lol) On all the other flights that we used business class we had individual tvs at our seat. So will see. We are using American Airlines and their partners.

By the way - I have never heard of tipping a cruise director. Why would you do that? He should be making a top wage for sure.

Visa. The more I think about this visa the more worried I get.. Does this service ask for your passport prior to entrance? Or did they take it all right at the airport and give it to you. Did you need photos? Fees? I think I will email you in the next few days and have you give me more information on it if you will.

River cruising is fundamentally different from ocean cruising -- and the tipping format is different. Yes, it is proper and expected to tip the cruise director - do not assume he makes a "top wage." There are numerous threads in the general forums regarding tipping and they get contentious. It is probably better to leave it at that.

We also used a "visa on arrival" service. Our experience may be similar to Mike's, but it provides an additional data point. The process is simple, quick, efficient and easy. We used myvietnamvisadotcom, but there are others that operate with the same procedures.

One of the advantages of "visa on arrival" is that you do not surrender your passport during the application process. There is an initial fee (paypal or credit card) and a fee upon arrival in Vietnam (payable in US dollars).

1) You do not receive an actual visa in advance, you receive an official letter of approval. The visa is issued upon arrival at the airport in Vietnam.

2) You do need to present the letter of approval, completed forms (that you will receive via email), along with a passport-type photo when you arrive in Vietnam

3) Overall cost is significantly less that using a service such as Zierer.

guess I ll have to wait till Feb.to figure this out,when air details available,,since not sure what time I d arrive there,,,maybe early or late,,,but will keep info and email for later reference.

Have 7 day hold on Dec.25 AMA lotus sailing,,and waiting for reviews to be posted...sounds great so far...:)

For those of you who have taken this tour: is there a convenient place in Vietnam or Cambodia to purchase school supplies for the orphanage? or should I bring school supplies from home? I am a bit concerned about adding the additional weight to my packing.

For those of you who have taken this tour: is there a convenient place in Vietnam or Cambodia to purchase school supplies for the orphanage? or should I bring school supplies from home? I am a bit concerned about adding the additional weight to my packing.

I purchased a box of 80 pencils from Office Depot and put them in a zip loc bag. You can bring them in your carry-on if you are concerned but they weighed a few ounces. Also, you can collect shampoos, soaps, combs, toothbrushes, etc. from your hotels beforehand and distribute these too as all of these items are desperately needed. We even took them from the boat which, if they minded, they never said anything. It seemed that they expected it. I would take some of these items with me when I went onshore and distributed what I had. When we knew for certain that we were visiting a school or village, we would bring more. Since there were so many of us, there was a large amount being handed out at one time.

I noticed a post about tipping and someone mentioned something about never tipping a cruise director. Normally I agree but on the AMA La Marguerite trip we took in February our cruise director/manager was the key to our incredible journey. He took care of everything and I mean everything-from expediting our arrival on Siem Reap through baggage and customs to ensuring that all tours left on time to ensuring that any problem on the boat was dealt with immediately. He was always there and provided us with comfort knowing we could turn to him with any problem or question. He always had an answer or solution and always, always with a smile. He was worth the tip we happily gave him.

As for other tipping, we always gave our driver a few dollars and a dollar for the boat captain on our excursions as well as a few dollars per person per day for our tour guides through each segment of the trip? We were so well looked after and when you think about it, you spend so much to take this trip, a few dollars for excellent service to people who are trying to improve their lives in a part of the world that has experienced so much horror is a blessing. If I spent $250-300 on tips over 20 days after spending so many thousands, it was well worth it.

We're going to be on the Amalotus the beginning of March. I was worried about the Visa process and so read everything carefully and saw that the process could begin 6 months in advance. In the beginning of October I called the embassy in Washington (refer to website) for the price of the double entry Visa. Armed with all the instructions I mailed my passports away and WITHIN the week they were returned with a Visa affixed to the pages.

What a relief and so easy to do. There is a warning on the Embassy website about using some websites to attain your Visa. I also use 2Fltravelers guide as my Bible for the trip.

Love reading everyones suggestions. Thank you!

Donna

Before we went to the orphanage they took us to a market where we were able to by things like paper, notebooks and other school supplies. This was in November of 2010. The prices were good and it was much easier than bringing them from home.

Jeff

AMA lotus cruisers,,,do check Returncruisers review to be posted soon,,he sent me a copy ,,very detailed and packed with info...

The visa info very helpful,,,always so many options,,good to hear passport returned with visa, in 1 wk...guess will get AMA to do Cambodian one,,as some have suggested? Have to contact my TA,,and book it...thanks all.:)

I noticed a post about tipping and someone mentioned something about never tipping a cruise director. Normally I agree but on the AMA La Marguerite trip we took in February our cruise director/manager was the key to our incredible journey. He took care of everything and I mean everything-from expediting our arrival on Siem Reap through baggage and customs to ensuring that all tours left on time to ensuring that any problem on the boat was dealt with immediately. He was always there and provided us with comfort knowing we could turn to him with any problem or question. He always had an answer or solution and always, always with a smile. He was worth the tip we happily gave him.

As for other tipping, we always gave our driver a few dollars and a dollar for the boat captain on our excursions as well as a few dollars per person per day for our tour guides through each segment of the trip? We were so well looked after and when you think about it, you spend so much to take this trip, a few dollars for excellent service to people who are trying to improve their lives in a part of the world that has experienced so much horror is a blessing. If I spent $250-300 on tips over 20 days after spending so many thousands, it was well worth it.

Your post reflected my thoughts 100%. Do you remember your Cruise Director's name? Ours was Vuong (aka Rex). I developed a serious eye infection during the journey. When we arrived in Saigon, Vuong insisted on accompanying me to a modern, well-run clinic staffed by multilingual medical personnel. This gesture was indicative of his dedication to all passengers' well-being throughout the trip.

We purchased a large bag of school supplies in WalMart prior to our departure. Our particular group wasn't afforded the opportunity to shop in Cambodia prior to visiting the orphanage.

Hey guys - since this was my first river cruise, I wasn't aware of the tipping of the cruise director and have yet to start reading up on things regarding it. I have had 52 Cruises on cruise ships though and have to admit, really only got to know 2 cruise director well on those. ONe of them I mail him a CHRISTmas card each year. ;) Anyway, just glad someone mentioned it and I ask because I might not have known this is the custom on river cruises.

OK, I need to have my hubby bring his Vietnam book on our next trip. I want to know the "for sure" on getting the visa and the time of it. Someone also said that from the date of your Visa, it expires 6 month after that date. So if you got it six months in advance it could be expiring just about the end of the cruise and/or port visit if you have one. So that worries me also.

I am so looking forward to this trip but have to admit, with so many other trips prior to it, reading this board is about the only information I have gotten. Nothing from AMA regarding rules/advice/suggestions on river cruising.

From reading more post - I am starting to wonder what the luggage weight limit problem is?? Is this regarding your flights to and from Asia? Because I was thinking you can carry 2 suitcases at 50 lbs each. Is that not the case? We have booked a junk in Ha Long Bay also and I read on here a way back that the weight limit for that is alot less. So guess I better find that out also. I sure won't to be prepared to following the rules on this trip. We have a week on our own prior to the cruise and days after the cruise so want to be sure I have everything I will need.

I greatly appreciate all the suggestions and advice.

From reading more post - I am starting to wonder what the luggage weight limit problem is?? Is this regarding your flights to and from Asia? Because I was thinking you can carry 2 suitcases at 50 lbs each. Is that not the case?

Weight limitations and excess baggage charges are particular to each airline, with variations depending upon class of service, elite status, and destination. We will be flying business class to/from Asia, so weight is not an issue there.

The weight limitation comes into play for the intra-Asia flight. Vietnam Airlines allows one checked bag weighing up to 20 kg for coach intra-Asia flights and only 7 kg for carry-on. This is the airline that AMA uses between Hanoi and Siem Reap. These limits are typical, but always check the website of the airline you will use for any particular itinerary.

Re the visa: you will specify the date of entry into Vietnam (you may arrive later but not earlier) and your expected date of departure. From the visa information site:

The most popular type of visa for Vietnam is tourist visa which is normally valid for 15-30 days.

In some cases, you can apply for a 3 month visa for tourism purpose; the procedure will be the same with 1 month visa. In other words, Vietnamese tourist visa's validity can be from 15 days to 3 months.

A one-month, multiple entry visa is sufficient for our trip; your requirements may vary depending on the length of your stay in Vietnam.

From reading more post - I am starting to wonder what the luggage weight limit problem is?? Is this regarding your flights to and from Asia? Because I was thinking you can carry 2 suitcases at 50 lbs each. Is that not the case? We have booked a junk in Ha Long Bay also and I read on here a way back that the weight limit for that is alot less. So guess I better find that out also. I sure won't to be prepared to following the rules on this trip. We have a week on our own prior to the cruise and days after the cruise so want to be sure I have everything I will need.

We flew 1st class and business so weight was not a problem The problem was the flight from Hanoi to Siem Reap on Vietnam Air. They really hassled me on my carry-on for the flight, first saying it was too heavy and then telling me it was too big. My husband was very irritated as we watched others carry 3 bags on the plane to our one 22-inch Travelpro. So he confronted the agent as he tried to stuff the bag into the contraption to show us it didn't fit. My husband made it fit as I held my breath hoping the wheel wouldn't break off. It didn't and we took it on the plane. My advice is to take 2 smaller bags if you are as nervous as I.

Oh my goodness. I never thought about our flight from Hanoi to Seim Reap. I will really need to check that out. My carry on is very heavy due to lap top and magazines and books. So that might be a problem. Do that weigh your purse and carry on or just the carry on. (purse being a personal item) We do only pack ONE bag each on all trips. It is usually a duffle bag each with $50 in each one. We just make that work. (did anyone book their flights from Hanoi to Siem Reap on their own? If so what is the cost doing it yourself?)

I remember once in Copehagen they tried to charge us $150 USD for our back pack. We were on a round trip ticket but this was back when, with American Airlines miles, you could do a stop over for up to 3 or 4 days somewhere on one of the legs. So we flew to Copenhagen from St. Louis no problem. REturn flight was Copenhagen to St. Louis with a stop over for 4 days in Paris I think it was. So Copenhagen airport wanted to call in an intercountry flight. AFter 1 1/2 hours, we convinced a manager and we didn't pay. Now I wonder if this could be the same scenario.

We have business class booked also with American Airlines and their partners. My husband is also Plantinum with American so we usually don't have to worry about how many bags just weight. I don't think I even realized with business class you don't have to worry about bag weight since we fly it so little. But come next year - I will be rereading all of the thread and figuring it out. We have 2 cruise and a land trip between now and the end of January. So hope to really figure out everything after that.

We had never heard of Hanoi kids when we booked our 10 1/2 days filled with tours, flight, etc... with a Vietnam company so we are probably commited on that. Not sure how the prices compare but it was something like $1600 per person but we picked what we wanted to see and where to go versus what AMA Waterways offered. (but lots of it are the same) It also included the Junk at Ha Long Bay and two of the days are in Saigon at the end of the cruise. Pick up from airport, drop off to Sofitel hotel, pick up from AMALotus in Saigon and drop off at the airport. Hotels in all places and some meals. We felt it was a good deal since we don't have to pay anything extra except tips, some meals, visa, and personal expenses. And I am thinking the AMA land portion was shorter and about the same price.

AMA did offer a great package but there were things we wanted to see that they did not offer. Plus, we wanted to see a lot of things relating to the Vietnam War. So those are on our list of things also. (even though reading some peoples reviews they did do a lot of what we were wanting to see) I did check and saw that on Ha Long Bay - Junk we would be with Paradise Cruise Deluxe cabin with balcony. It stops at that Surprise Cave you went to and Cua Van Fishing Village. We also go to Fairy Cave. (says we can snorkel, kayak or swim there) I am really exciting about the junk after seeing all the photos. (DO ANY OF YOU HAVE ANY PHOTOS THAT YOU CARE TO SHARE THE LINK with us?)

Anyway, we thought we had gotten the worst of it all settled (River cruise, tours, flights) lol But sounds like luggage and visa can be another worst of the issues. lol I love reading all the reviews though. Gets me more exciting.

Maybe some of you can also give an idea of what the tipping for your junk trip were and also what the tipping for tours during your land trip were. We want to be sure (being our first time) we don't offend anyone and/or miss someone that we weren't aware that was to be tipped. Also, on our China tours for a week a couple years ago, I tipped the guide $100 US and the driver $50 and once we ask our friends and everyone, they said I paid at least double. A friend had told me her and her husband was paying $80 and I thought she meant USD. But later after returning she said that was in Chinese money. Oh well, I knew they were awfully happy. lol (funny, our tours for 4 1/2 days in Beijing and then another full day in Xian was only $200 for the two of us. lol (included all entrance fees, some meals, etc.....)

Thanks everyone for giving your reviews and/or information. I know some have completed river cruises but we have not. So anything is helpful for us.

They did not weigh the bag as I recall. They lifted it and said it was too heavy. When we disputed that, they put it in that stupid contraption that measures the size. That's when my husband got "testy". Weight on the business class international flights does matter. On some airlines you can have up to 70 pounds for first class, 50 for business but can take more than 1 bag. My daughter and son in law just took business on BA and they made him fill a second small bag as his 1 piece was a little over 50 pounds.

Aas for the junk on Halong Bay I will try to post some of my pictures. I have to figure out how since I am somewhere between a novice and a dinosaur!

As for tipping, I believe that people should be rewarded for providing good service. Perhaps we tip to much at times by some standards but we think of it as positive reinforcement. We do not tip even if it is expected if the service is not good. That sends a stronger message just as tipping for good service does.

Thanks for all the tips from return cruisers. Will be on Amalotus for Xmas cruise. Leave in three weeks. Doing 2 nights with Paradise Cruises on Halong Bay. From your advise, have a day tour booked with Hanoikids in Hanoi, and have taken note of recommended restruants.

Excited Aussie.