How's the Entertainment on Veendam?

cidymom

For those recently on the Veendam, how was the entertainment? Are there shows, music events, etc. happening every evening? Still deciding between Veendam and Rotterdam for Canada New England cruise because I like the itinerary. I know the entertainment won't be the same as on Royal Carribean but I just want to know there will be some sort of entertainment each evening for the younger crowd. Thanks.

Veendam is crossing the Atlantic now as it ends HAL's final Atlantic Adventurer, it has been gone for 6 weeks. There is a high probability that most of the entertainers will be leaving when it returns to Port Everglades.

This spring, in the Ocean Bar, Ashley Wey led a trio that was good. On Eurodam this fall, The Band was in the Ocean Bar, a much different experience.

BB King's Blues does their thing in the evenings, generally well-attended if a bit too loud for my ears. There will be something in the Showroom at Sea every evening and you rarely know ahead of time who any guest performer might be in attendance.

Keep in mind that those itineraries are typically completed after schools start in the autumn, that will change the demographics to an older guest list. Most people at age 40 and under don't want to take kids from school to go to Nova Scotia or Bar Harbor.

Jim

I second that for Ashley Wey.

No BB King Blues on the Veendam; it is only on the larger ships.

igraf

...This spring, in the Ocean Bar, Ashley Wey led a trio that was good. On Eurodam this fall, The Band was in the Ocean Bar, a much different experience.

BB King's Blues does their thing in the evenings, generally well-attended if a bit too loud for my ears. There will be something in the Showroom at Sea every evening and you rarely know ahead of time who any guest performer might be in attendance. ...

Jim

For those recently on the Veendam, Thanks.

IMO Veendam is an awful ship. Showroom gets crowded because of awful seating. On a short cruise, HAL’s entertainment is uninteresting, oh on a long cruise, questionable. I have more factual issues with this ship if you are interested.

Thanks everyone for your input. It's either Veendam or Rotterdam that does the itinerary I want. I read the not so good reviews on Rotterdam recently and thought Veendam was in good shape as it was refurbished in 2016. I don't want to be on a ship that is in poor condition, such as toilets not flushing, water leaks, broken furniture, air conditioner not working, etc. I'm not picky about food but do enjoy good entertainment on any cruise. With the last post, I'm worried that I will be disappointed with the Veendam. Would Rotterdam be a better choice? Any comments? Thanks all.

I booked Veendam for the July 7th cruise to Canada, and Like you, I worry about all the negative reviews. However, I booked this strictly for the itinerary. It was the only cruise line that I could find that went to these ports in the summer. We arrive in Boston on July 4, looking forward to seeing the fireworks there. I’m trying not to worry too much about the condition of the ship, because it is such a port intensive cruise, I imagine we will just enjoy the sights, have some dinner, then relax. I’m trying to keep my expectations low, so hopefully I’ll be pleasantly surprised when we get on ship!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

IMO Veendam is an awful ship. Showroom gets crowded because of awful seating. On a short cruise, HAL’s entertainment is uninteresting, oh on a long cruise, questionable. I have more factual issues with this ship if you are interested.

We leave home tomorrow to head to Fort Lauderdale and boarding Veendam on Friday.

I would be very interested to hear your 'factual issues'.

Thanks everyone for your input. It's either Veendam or Rotterdam that does the itinerary I want. I read the not so good reviews on Rotterdam recently and thought Veendam was in good shape as it was refurbished in 2016. I don't want to be on a ship that is in poor condition, such as toilets not flushing, water leaks, broken furniture, air conditioner not working, etc. I'm not picky about food but do enjoy good entertainment on any cruise. With the last post, I'm worried that I will be disappointed with the Veendam. Would Rotterdam be a better choice? Any comments? Thanks all.

DH and I spent 42 days doing the atlantic adventure last year on Rotterdam we didn't see any of the things you mention in the above comment. We had a great time and the ship was in awesome condition! I would do it again in a heartbeat (as a matter of face we are booked on another transatlantic in 2019 if all goes well) I would go with an open mind and just enjoy the "adventure"!!!