Whale Watching in Victoria

sophieb

Wife and I have been on the PrinceOfWhales whale watching cruise. They know exactly where the orcas are and will take you there, park in their path and let them pass by the boat...

Drawback is that it may take 30-45 minutes just to get to them and then you have to get back... ;-)

Definitely recommended though.

Has anyone gone whale watching in Victoria? Any recommendations for operators? Thanks for your advice.:D

We are also thinking of this for Victoria...we are trying to decide between the zodiac trip and the larger boat trip (probably just the boys and I...DW, DD and mom are interested in seeing the Gardens). There is a three our trip at 5p or so, which will work well with our port times on the TP.

Prince of Whales is a big operator, that is very convenient to the Inner Harbor. They know where the whales are because they are notified by the shore/boat trackers- like all the other vendors.

I always go on the zodiac trips, excellent water viewing, superior to a boat in my opinion. I go mostly with the same vendor since I like their seating set up, some zodiacs are side viewing which I don't care for.

Be advised that ship tours with ports of 6pm and later, get a boat tour 1 hour shorter than the regular runs. They have less viewing percentages since the orcas need to be in a closer range.

We decided to go for the Zodiac...we are thinking about the 4pm departure with Prince of Whales. They do offer a hotel pick-up service; perhaps if enough of us book from the TP, they will pick us up at the dock!

Whale watcher, I did not see a 4pm departure with Prince of Whales. Did you talk with them directly? I like the Zodiac also - there of 4 of us. Don't know what it will take to get a dock pickup, but it's worth trying. Maybe bring it up on ROLL call.

Count me as lucky, I guess. Whenever we want to see Orca, it's frequently as easy as going to several of the local ferry terminals. Some of the resident pods seem to like to hang around there in the summer and fall--ferries and small craft (not to mention the big oceangoing vessels) have to be very careful of them. One of the babies was injured about a year and a half ago from being too friendly with the ferry.

Whale watcher, I did not see a 4pm departure with Prince of Whales. Did you talk with them directly? I like the Zodiac also - there of 4 of us. Don't know what it will take to get a dock pickup, but it's worth trying. Maybe bring it up on ROLL call.
I booked with them online...when you enter the date (July 9), you will see more time options pop up on the menu, including 16:00 (4p)...it was a little confusing, and it took me a few trys...they actually called me back this morning to confirm everything (and to make sure we realized they were in Victoria and not Vancouver). I asked about transportation, and the person who called indicated that there was a shuttle available at the dock that would take us right downtown to their location. We need to be there by 3:30pm at the latest. DW has decided to join us, but DD and mom are going to the Gardens instead.

In June we will be making our 5th cruise to Alaska and each time we have always done a Whale Watch excursion in Juneau. I am actually thinking of skipping Juneau this year and doing the evening Whale Watch in Victoria. Out of 4 Whale Excursions in Alaska only the very first one in May 2004 did we see Orcas. Are there really more Orcas in the Victoria area? Or is it by chance just like in Juneau?

Prince of Whales is a big operator, that is very convenient to the Inner Harbor. They know where the whales are because they are notified by the shore/boat trackers- like all the other vendors.

I always go on the zodiac trips, excellent water viewing, superior to a boat in my opinion. I go mostly with the same vendor since I like their seating set up, some zodiacs are side viewing which I don't care for.

Be advised that ship tours with ports of 6pm and later, get a boat tour 1 hour shorter than the regular runs. They have less viewing percentages since the orcas need to be in a closer range.

I am going to take my chances and book a whale watching cruise in Victoria even though we arrive at 6:00 p.m. It is an opportunity I don't want to miss. I might never get back that way again. . .I have seen other whales on the East Coast off of Cape Cod, that was an awesome experience, but to see Orcas in the wild would be truly unique.

In June we will be making our 5th cruise to Alaska and each time we have always done a Whale Watch excursion in Juneau. I am actually thinking of skipping Juneau this year and doing the evening Whale Watch in Victoria. Out of 4 Whale Excursions in Alaska only the very first one in May 2004 did we see Orcas. Are there really more Orcas in the Victoria area? Or is it by chance just like in Juneau?

As I already noted above. There are 3 RESIDENT southern Vancouver orca pods J K L. Do a search for more information. Juneau is transient orcas and total chance which isn't high odds. The transients have a huge range which is why you can't really track them with any predictability.

There is a whole network of spotters for the Vancouver Island resident pods- there is also a northern group, about 3 times larger than the southern.

As I already mention, the ship tours aren't the best option. If those pods are NOT within a close range of Victoria, with an hour shorter tours, they aren't going to get to them.

As I already noted above. There are 3 RESIDENT southern Vancouver orca pods J K L. Do a search for more information. Juneau is transient orcas and total chance which isn't high odds. The transients have a huge range which is why you can't really track them with any predictability.

There is a whole network of spotters for the Vancouver Island resident pods- there is also a northern group, about 3 times larger than the southern.

As I already mention, the ship tours aren't the best option. If those pods are NOT within a close range of Victoria, with an hour shorter tours, they aren't going to get to them.

Budget Queen,

We are leaving out of Vancouver for AK on May 11. Were are the Northern Pods located? Around Robson Bight? Should I call the Bridge and ask them about what time the next morning we will be passing this area? I was planning on getting up at 4:30 a.m. (May 12th) before the sun came up so that I could hopefully get a glance at them.

Thanks

Tom

Budget Queen,

We are leaving out of Vancouver for AK on May 11. Were are the Northern Pods located? Around Robson Bight? Should I call the Bridge and ask them about what time the next morning we will be passing this area? I was planning on getting up at 4:30 a.m. (May 12th) before the sun came up so that I could hopefully get a glance at them.

Thanks

Tom

Their range is all the way down to Campbell River. At that hour, your ship will NOT be detouring to Robson Bight, so it won't do you any good to call the bridge. It will be light at 4:30am where you can see, just not yet dawn, and you may already be past Robson Bight.

I overall suggest, you just get out with frorward viewing and a good pair of WIDE ANGLE binoculars and spent all your time there.

I booked with them online...when you enter the date (July 9), you will see more time options pop up on the menu, including 16:00 (4p)...it was a little confusing, and it took me a few trys...they actually called me back this morning to confirm everything (and to make sure we realized they were in Victoria and not Vancouver). I asked about transportation, and the person who called indicated that there was a shuttle available at the dock that would take us right downtown to their location. We need to be there by 3:30pm at the latest. DW has decided to join us, but DD and mom are going to the Gardens instead.

We're all booked for the 4 PM zodiac. He called backed immediately and recommended a cab as being much cheaper than the shuttle since we had 4 people or if we have time, walking for 20 minutes would be good also.

I'm looking at possibly doing whale watching in Victoria too...

We don't arrive in Victoria until 6:00. BQ, you were saying that there's less time on the tours after this time, and it sounds like less opportunity to see whales. Is it even worth it to book this tour or should we save our money and do it when we (inevitably) return someday? :)

I am going to take my chances and book a whale watching cruise in Victoria even though we arrive at 6:00 p.m. It is an opportunity I don't want to miss. I might never get back that way again. . .I have seen other whales on the East Coast off of Cape Cod, that was an awesome experience, but to see Orcas in the wild would be truly unique.

I think it's worth taking the the chance. We did an evening whale watch trip out of Victoria a couple of summers ago and it was an amazing experience. According to the naturalist onboard they had been getting to the Orcas regularly on the evening cruises and ours was no exception. It was an amazing site to see all of them around the boat. A couple even jumped completely out of the water right at the stern of our catamaran. I wish I had been aiming my camera in the right direction at that moment! It was a great trip and we got treated to a gorgeous sunset as well.

I know anytime I do a wildlife excursion there is no guarantee. It's always a gamble to a certain extent. But if you have only one opportunity I say go for it and I hope your luck will be as great as ours.

We're all booked for the 4 PM zodiac. He called backed immediately and recommended a cab as being much cheaper than the shuttle since we had 4 people or if we have time, walking for 20 minutes would be good also.
It should be a fun trip! A twenty minute walk is probably not a bad thing after 14 days on a cruise ship;)

We've been whale watching on Vancouver Island multiple times. In Victoria, we went on a June tour with Orca Spirit Adventures. This is an eco-tour company that uses a comfortable boat to take you to the orcas. Their naturalist was very knowledgeable and they have a hydrophone so that you can listen to the orcas sing.

We've been on a couple of zodiac whale watching trips up near Campbell River and Quadra Island. I found the high-speed rides to be a heart-pumping, adrenaline rush, but I don't think it would be for everyone.

One of the other nice things about the Orca Spirit experience is that you have a choice of being on deck or below deck and even in June it was a bit chilly up top. The crew also had a good selection of books on whales and binoculars for us to use.

We've been whale watching on Vancouver Island multiple times. In Victoria, we went on a June tour with Orca Spirit Adventures. This is an eco-tour company that uses a comfortable boat to take you to the orcas. Their naturalist was very knowledgeable and they have a hydrophone so that you can listen to the orcas sing.

We've been on a couple of zodiac whale watching trips up near Campbell River and Quadra Island. I found the high-speed rides to be a heart-pumping, adrenaline rush, but I don't think it would be for everyone.

One of the other nice things about the Orca Spirit experience is that you have a choice of being on deck or below deck and even in June it was a bit chilly up top. The crew also had a good selection of books on whales and binoculars for us to use.

I agree, the independent booked companies run great tours. BUT most offer their last tours at 6pm and too late for most cruise ship visitors who have to take- only the ship contracted tours which run an hour shorter. Having 25-33% of your potential transit and spotting time cut off is significant.

No question that Prince of Whales has a corner on the market but there are many others and here are a few links:

http://www.orcaspirit.com/

http://www.oceanexplorations.com/whale_watching_home.htm

http://www.greatpacificadventures.com/

http://eaglewingtours.com/

http://www.springtidecharters.com/index.html

Archived