Oahu and things to do at night

dom89

We are renting a car in Oahu. We are leaving Oahu at 11pm. Does anyone have any recommendations on what to do once the sun goes down? I have found a lot of things to do but most require the sun to be out (beach, waterfall, craters). What is there to do at night? I plan on returning the car at 10pm so that we have as much time on land. Thanks!

I wouldn't rent a car. Traffic is crazy there and public transit is good. Maitai sunset sail is fun. Check out hawaiifoodtours.com - I can't remember if they do an evening food tour? Lots of fun! Waikiki beach strip is very happening after the sun goes down. Just fun to walk and absorb all the action.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I keep reading about the traffic issues but I really want to do pearl harbor and diamond head. The cost of taxi/time waiting for public transportation seemed too much more than the hassle of renting a car. I'm also planning on doing things outside of Honolulu to avoid some of the traffic. I'll check out that food tour. Thanks!

You can always just plan a nice dinner and walk around Waikiki beach. Lots of shops if you want last minute souvenirs. We stayed at the royal Hawaiian after our cruise and there was a lot of shops and restaurants within walking distance of the hotel. Parking is high. There is public parking decks and traffic is manageable. Just plan enough time to get back to the airport. The google maps app gives you time estimates that include traffic delays.

We went to the Chief's luau at Sealife Park. It was so much fun. A pretty small crowd (I would say 150 maybe) so it was like being personal guests at the Chief's party. I think we were picked up about 4 or 4:30 (you can arrange for transportation to and from certain hotels) and I think we were back about 9:30. The food and drinks were really good, as was the entertainment.

If you are interested in a luau and don't have one planned elsewhere, I highly recommend this one.

Go to Waikiki Beach and visit some of the hotel bars along the beach. Two of our favorites are the Mai Tai Bar at the Royal Hawaiian (Pink Palace) and the Banyan Court at the Moana Surf Rider. Both are on the beach and have music and hula most evenings. Order an exotic tropical drink and sit back and relax and enjoy.

Go to Waikiki Beach and visit some of the hotel bars along the beach. Two of our favorites are the Mai Tai Bar at the Royal Hawaiian (Pink Palace) and the Banyan Court at the Moana Surf Rider. Both are on the beach and have music and hula most evenings. Order an exotic tropical drink and sit back and relax and enjoy.

I second these recommendations and add the halekulani - "house without a key" for their evening sunset cocktail show with a former miss America dancing. Stunningly lovely and you can watch the aforementioned mai tai catamaran cruise leave and come back!

And... this is a vote for doing the 10-12 night one way cruise to/from West coast of North America starting or ending in Honolulu. Then you can spend an extra week enjoying more of what Oahu offers.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by kluv2cruz

I second these recommendations and add the halekulani - "house without a key" for their evening sunset cocktail show with a former miss America dancing. Stunningly lovely and you can watch the aforementioned mai tai catamaran cruise leave and come back!

I love Kanoe, but alas she is only a former Miss Hawaii.

The House Without a Key would be my #1 spot to catch Hawaiian music, Moana Hotel #2.

The Kani Ka Pili Grille at the Outrigger Reef and the Marriott Thursday nights for the Keawe Ohana are great as well.

I love Kanoe, but alas she is only a former Miss Hawaii.

The House Without a Key would be my #1 spot to catch Hawaiian music, Moana Hotel #2.

The Kani Ka Pili Grille at the Outrigger Reef and the Marriott Thursday nights for the Keawe Ohana are great as well.

She was Miss Hawaii and competed in Miss America. So, she actually had a talent, as opposed to Miss Hawaii USA who only had to look good in a bathing suit...;)

Agree with The House Without a Key for music.

We are renting a car in Oahu. We are leaving Oahu at 11pm. Does anyone have any recommendations on what to do once the sun goes down? I have found a lot of things to do but most require the sun to be out (beach, waterfall, craters). What is there to do at night? I plan on returning the car at 10pm so that we have as much time on land. Thanks!

Since it sounds like all of your scenic touring will be done during daylight hours, why wait until 10:00 pm to return your car? Airport location? Don't forget it's a 30 minute drive back to the port. I'd ditch the car before sunset and taxi to Waikiki Beach and follow any of the excellent suggestions above, enjoying sunset, coctails, island entertainment and dinner in a nice beachfront location. It is very walkable, and a car is not necessary and in fact would be a hinderance with all the parking issues and traffic. A very quick taxi to the port when you are done.

I love the atmosphere of the House Without a Key at the Halekulani. The entertainment starts about 5:30 on the grassy lawn under the huge Kiawe tree adjacent to Waikiki Beach. You seat yourself at chairs with small coctail tables. The entertainments backs up to the beach. Pick a location to the left as you face the beach. It is shaded, and you have a view toward the performers and the setting sun. It is just magical as the sun sets through the tree and behind the performers. You can enjoy the entire evening for the price of a couple drinks and maybe a Pupu. There is a covered terrace if you want to sit at a real table and dine, but you are much further away from the view and the action.

I love the atmosphere of the House Without a Key at the Halekulani. The entertainment starts about 5:30 on the grassy lawn under the huge Kiawe tree adjacent to Waikiki Beach.

Sorry, but more bad news...... the iconic Kiawe tree fell in late August while we were there and I don't think they were able to save it.

Since it sounds like all of your scenic touring will be done during daylight hours, why wait until 10:00 pm to return your car? Airport location? Don't forget it's a 30 minute drive back to the port. I'd ditch the car before sunset and taxi to Waikiki Beach and follow any of the excellent suggestions above, enjoying sunset, coctails, island entertainment and dinner in a nice beachfront location. It is very walkable, and a car is not necessary and in fact would be a hinderance with all the parking issues and traffic. A very quick taxi to the port when you are done.

I had not thought of it that way. Thanks for the suggestion.

Sorry, but more bad news...... the iconic Kiawe tree fell in late August while we were there and I don't think they were able to save it.

OH, say it isn't so:(. I was so looking forward to being there again next year. I hate to say it, but that may change the atmosphere of this place with nothing to block the sun. Sad news.