Hotel bars restricted to guests in Singapore

4774Papa

We are staying at the

Royal Plaza on Scotts Singapore Hotel

The hotel is near the intersection of Orchard Rd and Scotts, near the Orchard MRT.

I tried to arrange with the hotel for a pre cruise get together for some cruise mates and we can only do this by booking a special event and paying through the nose.

Apparently, it appears that the hotels in Singapore restrict the use of their bars to hotel guest, with perhaps two outside guests.

Is this the practice in Singapore widespread?

We are looking at meeting at

Caveau Wines & Bar

1 Scotts Road | Shaw Centre, #02-10, Singapore, Singapore

Has anyone been to this bar?

Sorry...A little off subject...But when will you be staying at this hotel ? Would love some more experience (besides TripAdvisor) on this property. And would love to know the reason you opted for it. And if you don't mind the price you're paying and if you included breakfast and who you booked it through ?

We have it booked 5 nights pre-cruise in March...an extra night due to very early 1:00am arrival.

Thanks for any and all info you may have...sorry I have so many questions...Have never been to Singapore and this was a hard decision.

Sorry...A little off subject...But when will you be staying at this hotel ? Would love some more experience (besides TripAdvisor) on this property. And would love to know the reason you opted for it. And if you don't mind the price you're paying and if you included breakfast and who you booked it through ?

We have it booked 5 nights pre-cruise in March...an extra night due to very early 1:00am arrival.

Thanks for any and all info you may have...sorry I have so many questions...Have never been to Singapore and this was a hard decision.

I will be glad to share with you what we are paying and how I found the hotel.

We are paying 197 SGD (about $150 US) per night, which includes taxes, which I understand is an "Advance 60 Days Promotion with 38% off Best Flexible Rate."

Before I picked the hotel, studied the areas of the city and decided where we wanted to stay. Then went on kayak to get competitive prices. After picking my top five, I checked their reviews on TripAdvisor. It is a four star hotel that get an average of 4.5 on TripAdvisor.

This hotel had pretty good reviews and the price was very competitive. The hotel had all the amenities and it offers a free minibar at no cost. The hotel is near a shopping center where you can get inexpensive but good food. Also, it is near the Orchard MRT station.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g294265-d304611-Reviews-Royal_Plaza_on_Scotts-Singapore.html#REVIEWS

I will be glad to share with you what we are paying and how I found the hotel.

We are paying 197 SGD (about $150 US) per night, which includes taxes, which I understand is an "Advance 60 Days Promotion with 38% off Best Flexible Rate."

Before I picked the hotel, studied the areas of the city and decided where we wanted to stay. Then went on kayak to get competitive prices. After picking my top five, I checked their reviews on TripAdvisor. It is a four star hotel that get an average of 4.5 on TripAdvisor.

This hotel had pretty good reviews and the price was very competitive. The hotel had all the amenities and it offers a free minibar at no cost. The hotel is near a shopping center where you can get inexpensive but good food. Also, it is near the Orchard MRT station.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g294265-d304611-Reviews-Royal_Plaza_on_Scotts-Singapore.html#REVIEWS

We are paying $186.00 per night (4 nights Mon-Thurs)... $164.00 per night (one night Friday). I guess Friday is less expensive..surprise.

Our rate also includes all taxes and buffet breakfast and is also a 60 day advance reservation promotion.

We are going to be there pre-cruise early March. What month are you traveling?

I found this hotel through a few Cruise Critic posts..and researched it as well. I booked directly with the hotel but it was actually a booking agent..but the confirmation came directly from Royal Plaza.

If you are traveling before me please come back and post your experiences.

Thanks so much for all your info..best of luck and hoping we both enjoy this hotel.

We are paying $186.00 per night (4 nights Mon-Thurs)... $164.00 per night (one night Friday). I guess Friday is less expensive..surprise.

Our rate also includes all taxes and buffet breakfast and is also a 60 day advance reservation promotion.

We are going to be there pre-cruise early March. What month are you traveling?

I found this hotel through a few Cruise Critic posts..and researched it as well. I booked directly with the hotel but it was actually a booking agent..but the confirmation came directly from Royal Plaza.

If you are traveling before me please come back and post your experiences.

Thanks so much for all your info..best of luck and hoping we both enjoy this hotel.

We also booked directly with the hotel.

Our cruise on Celebrity Century starts 22 March. We arrive on 14 March and will stay in the hotel until 19 March (we are going to Malaysia for two nights), then come back to Singapore and the hotel for 21 March.

Have a great time.

Our cruise ends in Dubai and has four ports in India with another in Muscat, Oman.

To answer your original question 4774Papa:

My only Singapore hotel experience is at Raffles and they welcomed non-hotel guests at the Long Bar. I cannot imagine hotels restricting non-hotel guests. Maybe your experience is because you are having a "group" and the hotel sees an opportunity to make some money because it is an "event" of a type.

To answer your original question 4774Papa:

My only Singapore hotel experience is at Raffles and they welcomed non-hotel guests at the Long Bar. I cannot imagine hotels restricting non-hotel guests. Maybe your experience is because you are having a "group" and the hotel sees an opportunity to make some money because it is an "event" of a type.

My hotel as well as nearby hotels appear to have the same policy. OK for hotel guests with only 2 outside guests can accompany hotel guests.

We also booked directly with the hotel.

Our cruise on Celebrity Century starts 22 March. We arrive on 14 March and will stay in the hotel until 19 March (we are going to Malaysia for two nights), then come back to Singapore and the hotel for 21 March.

Have a great time.

Our cruise ends in Dubai and has four ports in India with another in Muscat, Oman.

Then it looks like we'll be there before you.

We arrive early morning 12:40am Tues March 3rd and the reason I had to book it for Monday as check in isn't until 2:00pm (much too long of a wait after a long flight LAX-SEA-NRT-SIN) and stay until our cruise RCI Mariner leaves on Saturday March 7th. We sail 7 nights Singapore-Shanghai..and will stay in Shanghai post cruise 4 nights.

You're trip sounds amazing...Enjoy !!

Edited by Ashland

are you talking like 20 or so people/ did you call and ask. .if 20 people walked into a bar and just started talking how can that be a group and i think it not legal. .the hotel trying to make money off you.. not legal as far i know.

are you talking like 20 or so people/ did you call and ask. .if 20 people walked into a bar and just started talking how can that be a group and i think it not legal. .the hotel trying to make money off you.. not legal as far i know.

I sent an email to my hotel and they referred me to a specific bar on their website that stated the rules that I mentioned earlier.

Since we may have about a dozen people, I might be able to get away with ignoring the rules, but most of the others will be coming from other hotels and it would be a bummer if they were told to leave.

You would think that a hotel would want their bar to sell as many drinks as possible, therefore having more people would be a good thing, but if the bar/restaurant filled up and hotel guests had no place to go in the hotel, they might complain.

I sent an email to my hotel and they referred me to a specific bar on their website that stated the rules that I mentioned earlier.

Since we may have about a dozen people, I might be able to get away with ignoring the rules, but most of the others will be coming from other hotels and it would be a bummer if they were told to leave.

You would think that a hotel would want their bar to sell as many drinks as possible, therefore having more people would be a good thing, but if the bar/restaurant filled up and hotel guests had no place to go in the hotel, they might complain.

U have been in Europe, Asia, S America etc more than once and never seen anyone kicked out of a bar. I tihnk your mistake was asking.. i would wander in and have others do the same. also do not- do no- wear name tags. just act normal..i go ot bars all the time and meet people- bars that are slammed with people. .go and enjoy

Edited by ellbon

Hello 4774Papa and ellbon.

I was very puzzled about this strange restriction as I have never heard about this for ANY hotel in Singapore.

4774Papa mentioned the hotel website so I went to take a look here.

http://www.royalplaza.com.sg

you will notice that while three restaurants are listed under "dining" there are no bars mentioned.

At this point perhaps it is worth mentioning that the Royal Plaza is "muslim friendly" hotel.

Digging a little deeper I discovered there was a bar in the Royal Club Lounge

http://www.royalplaza.com.sg/royal-club

this of course is not a bar in the ordinary sense but their executive lounge with free flow of food and drinks all day. you might very well understand why entry to this venue would be restricted to those staying in the hotel (and a limited number of their guests) only.

if this is the venue 4774Papa is talking about then of course it will not be a simple matter for 12 unconnected people to wander in as this place has a restricted entry. you might even need a special card just to get the lift (elevator) to get you to the floor it is located on.

on the other hand one of the dining venues turns out to be an "asian" tapas bar. where anyone could wander in from the street and get a seat as long as they buy a drink. but again it is a sit down venue rather than a stand up and mingle bar.

http://www.royalplaza.com.sg/atos

4774Papa: am I correct in my deductions?

May I know why you are restricting yourself to a bar withing this hotel. You are located at one of the busiest intersections in Singapore with many good choices within walking distance if you are willing to pay eye-watering Singapore prices for drinks.

oops! oh apologies 4774Papa, on rereading your original posting I see that you have decided on meeting at Caveau which is not in your hotel but next door. I don't know anything about this place but it has good reviews at a Singaporean recommendation site.

http://www.hungrygowhere.com/singapore/caveau_wines_and_bar/

(based on a grand total of TWO votes! LOL!)

(just btw Les Amis is one of the premier restaurant chains in Singapore. Pricey but well respected.)

If you are willing to travel (cab fares are not prohibitive if you can afford to buy drinks!) there are other parts of Singapore where you will find bars with a livelier atmosphere and lower prices. Even the more *ahem* "colourful" parts of Singapore are considered safe by western (and south east asian) standards.

Edited by photosg

Hello 4774Papa and ellbon.

I was very puzzled about this strange restriction as I have never heard about this for ANY hotel in Singapore.

4774Papa mentioned the hotel website so I went to take a look here.

http://www.royalplaza.com.sg

you will notice that while three restaurants are listed under "dining" there are no bars mentioned.

At this point perhaps it is worth mentioning that the Royal Plaza is "muslim friendly" hotel.

Digging a little deeper I discovered there was a bar in the Royal Club Lounge

http://www.royalplaza.com.sg/royal-club

this of course is not a bar in the ordinary sense but their executive lounge with free flow of food and drinks all day. you might very well understand why entry to this venue would be restricted to those staying in the hotel (and a limited number of their guests) only.

if this is the venue 4774Papa is talking about then of course it will not be a simple matter for 12 unconnected people to wander in as this place has a restricted entry. you might even need a special card just to get the lift (elevator) to get you to the floor it is located on.

on the other hand one of the dining venues turns out to be an "asian" tapas bar. where anyone could wander in from the street and get a seat as long as they buy a drink. but again it is a sit down venue rather than a stand up and mingle bar.

http://www.royalplaza.com.sg/atos

4774Papa: am I correct in my deductions?

May I know why you are restricting yourself to a bar withing this hotel. You are located at one of the busiest intersections in Singapore with many good choices within walking distance if you are willing to pay eye-watering Singapore prices for drinks.

oops! oh apologies 4774Papa, on rereading your original posting I see that you have decided on meeting at Caveau which is not in your hotel but next door. I don't know anything about this place but it has good reviews at a Singaporean recommendation site.

http://www.hungrygowhere.com/singapore/caveau_wines_and_bar/

(based on a grand total of TWO votes! LOL!)

(just btw Les Amis is one of the premier restaurant chains in Singapore. Pricey but well respected.)

If you are willing to travel (cab fares are not prohibitive if you can afford to buy drinks!) there are other parts of Singapore where you will find bars with a livelier atmosphere and lower prices. Even the more *ahem* "colourful" parts of Singapore are considered safe by western (and south east asian) standards.

photosg,

You are correct, the bars at my hotel appear to be a bar/restaurant combination. I did an extensive search for other venues. I considered going to the Grand Hyatt across the street, but it seemed to have the same policy.

The caueau winebar looked good, and that is why I settled on it.

We stayed there June 2013 after our Mariner cruise and have only great things to say about the hotel. We arrived there at 8 am after getting off the Mariner of the Seas. They gave us a room upon our arrival with no extra charge for the early check in. We stayed 4 nights and used the $10 all day subway pass to go wherever we wanted. We also did a Viator evening tour that picked us up at the hotel and brought us back at the end of the tour. We loved the location.

Jackie (and JIm)

We stayed there June 2013 after our Mariner cruise and have only great things to say about the hotel. We arrived there at 8 am after getting off the Mariner of the Seas. They gave us a room upon our arrival with no extra charge for the early check in. We stayed 4 nights and used the $10 all day subway pass to go wherever we wanted. We also did a Viator evening tour that picked us up at the hotel and brought us back at the end of the tour. We loved the location.

Jackie (and JIm)

Always nice to hear about a hotel when planning to use it. Hope we'll love it as much as you did...and our cruise on Mariner.