How much walking required to whale watch boat docks in Juneau?

LinVirginia

I contacted one vendor and was told that the dock to the whale watch boat was long and that it would be a lengthy walk, difficult for someone with breathing issues. Just wondered if anyone here had used a company where the docks are short? DH has heart problems and cannot walk far without resting. Thank you.

As far as I understand it, pretty much every vendor goes out of the same docks. Search for Auke Bay marina. I think it's about 300-400' from where the bus drops off to the top of the ramp, then a 100' ramp down to dock level, and 20-100' from there to the boats. IMHO your bigger concern is going up the ramp at the end of the tour, if the tide is low at the time.

Thank you. A very thorough reply. I think DH will have to pass on this one while I go with Grandson.

There are good whale watching options in Icy Strait Point (Hoonah), if your cruise happens to stop there. We used Glacier Winds. I don't remember it being a very long walk to the boat once the van dropped us off.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There are good whale watching options in Icy Strait Point (Hoonah), if your cruise happens to stop there. We used Glacier Winds. I don't remember it being a very long walk to the boat once the van dropped us off.

Since they opened the new floating dock in Icy Strait Point in 2016, the walk from the ship to shore along the walkway is longer than any walk to a whale watch boat in Juneau, at least the several I’ve taken in Juneau. I did see them shuttling some folks in small vehicles along the ICP walkway if they had mobility issues.

The ship's excursions with Allen Marine in Juneau - the bus takes you down onto the dock and the boats are right there. It is a short walk, but the ramp can be a bit steep coming back if the tide is low. You can check tide tables and book a tour that ends at high tide.