the dreaded bathing suit

schnoobie

no worries! There are all shapes on a cruise! I used to worry about that as well and after you see others, you will realize that you are like everyone else.

Go on to LLBean (I'm from Maine) and check out the tankini(sp?) suits. They are comfortable and have a blouse like effect but are so cute. There are other sites like Land's End that have similar suits that will fit your figure. Buy something YOU like and you'll feel great.

Pack some sunscreen, a great book, a hat and some pretty sunglasses and ENJOY your pool and chair time. OH! don't forget a foo foo drink!

These MS tankinis make me feel sassy and (almost) sexy!

Okay...had to quote you for the 'sassy' part ;)

To the OP, do you have any of those swim-suit specific stores in a mall near you? They are absolutely loaded with every different style of suit you could possibly think of, and they carry all different sizes.

I hate shopping for a swimsuit:p But I found one at Land's End that I ordered and just received it in the mail a couple of days ago - and I love it, even on my chubby lil' body!

Land's End has a virtual model that you can build according to your height and measurements. I made my model and tried various suits on her until I found one I liked. You can even match her skin tone to the one closest to you and see which colors look best. It really helped me and I love the suit I ended up with.

I'm of the mind that there are a handful of women who are actually happy with their bodies in a bathing suit...then there are the rest of us. Even thin women who many of us think look great, all they see are their own perceived flaws.

Go try on bathing suits, don't rely on internet sites until you find the style and shape that suits you the very best, only then should you buy online. I've tried on as many as 10-15 suits in a shopping day and discarded all of them. I know what looks best on me and now can shop online with a little more confidence. Lands End has good quality to their suits, Miracle Suits are great for midsection control, tankinis are a great way to cover the middle without having to wear a one piece suit. But it's like buying jeans, what looks good on one persons body can be so different on the next, there are too many styles to choose from and you need to try on even what you might not think looks good on you, you could be in for a surprise :)

I have yet to see anyone hide many flaws in a suit, even one with a skirt. Your body is just out there for all who wish to look and we just need to get over it and have a good time. Although, the cut of the neckline, leg height, shirring, tankini.... all of that can make a difference, you have to choose what you feel best in.

Trust everyone who states that you will see every body weight and shape you can imagine in all kind of bathing suits on a cruise ship.

Have you ever noticed that after a couple cruise ship cocktails' date=' you start feeling real comfy in your swimsuit?! ;)[/quote']

Hadn't thought about the cocktails......:p

I'm taking my first cruise later this month and am shopping for suits.

I'm a large waisted girl who doesn't want everything hanging out.

Great tips.

I found some water polo suits online that are very high cut - lots o' coverage.

Thanks for the positive vibes:D

I'm short, "stacked" and fluffy and I HATE shopping for swimsuits but I made myself bite the bullet last month and try. I tried on some separates at Kohls to get a feel for sizes and styles. Definitely didn't find anything instock at the store or online that I liked and didn't find anything at any "real store" that I liked that fit well. I could find tops that fit well but the colors were *blech* or the colors were great but tops didn't fit. I couldn't find ANY swim shorts at all. I like the look of the swim skirts but don't like the way they look on *me*. I looked at Chadwicks online and found an O-ring halter tankini top + swim shorts. I ordered according to what I'd tried on + the published size chart. I am SO glad I shopped their site. Since the top is a halter, I get a bit more support than just with a shelf bra (plus this one has soft cups). The shorts come up to mid-rise and the top more than covers the waist. Even my 13 yo fashion/clothes-conscious DD said that the suit looks great on.

Hope you had a great time shopping and found something.

Land's End has a virtual model that you can build according to your height and measurements. I made my model and tried various suits on her until I found one I liked. You can even match her skin tone to the one closest to you and see which colors look best. It really helped me and I love the suit I ended up with.

I love it!!! Not only skin tone but hairstyle, and even facial features.

I made my virtual model and I couldn't believe how much it looks like me.

I thought this was really cute and I found it to be very flattering and I felt confident in it. I also received compliments from other women in the pool.

http://www.jms.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce/ProductDisplay?prnbr=19194&cgnbr=7011000000

I can't get the photo to post.

I ordered this one yesterday and can't wait for it to come in! Thanks so much for the post. It is so cute and just what i've been looking for!!!!:D

I thought this was really cute and I found it to be very flattering and I felt confident in it. I also received compliments from other women in the pool.

http://www.jms.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce/ProductDisplay?prnbr=19194&cgnbr=7011000000

I can't get the photo to post.

Thank you so much for posting this. I saw the link, clicked on it and then ordered. It came in within 5 days! I tried it on and it is EXACTLY the suit i've been looking for. Now i think i'll sit out by the pool! This is the best suit ever! it is very slimming and the cut is perfect! Thanks again for sharing!

I find that Women's bathing shorts are way too short for the amount of dimpled leg they need to cover, so I bought men's board shorts, and pared it with a contrasting tankini top from Lands End. Works great - plus men get those handy little pockets you can use to store your lip gloss.:D

Thank you so much for posting this. I saw the link, clicked on it and then ordered. It came in within 5 days! I tried it on and it is EXACTLY the suit i've been looking for. Now i think i'll sit out by the pool! This is the best suit ever! it is very slimming and the cut is perfect! Thanks again for sharing!

I'm glad you liked it. It really is a cute swimsuit and very flattering.

I find that Women's bathing shorts are way too short for the amount of dimpled leg they need to cover, so I bought men's board shorts, and pared it with a contrasting tankini top from Lands End. Works great - plus men get those handy little pockets you can use to store your lip gloss.:D

I think Chadwicks also has a black board short type separate. Now that you mention it, maybe I need to look at those too or maybe just see if I can find a plain black mens pair? I like the swim shorts but maybe I'd like the longer shorts better.

I really hate the whole thing. I'm 56 and shouldn't even be concerned about it at this point. Wonder if the previous generation felt as self conscious about their bodies as we do? I really would prefer candle light in the dressing rooms. Maybe pink walls. Kind of a dimmer, gentler effect....Anyone with me on this? lol

I have had good luck buying suits from LL Bean and Chadwicks. For some reason, all suits seem to have unattractive patterns this year! I finally found two that I liked at Chadwicks and ordered them this morning. Here's hoping they fit fine as I have lost some weight but not enough to have taken me down an entire size just yet.

Archived