Truth about spring break

cabotpanther

This will be our first cruise on the Carnival Magic during 2012 spring break. Is this the worst time to cruise? Our kids are 8 and 16.

What day are you leaving? We're leaving on the 17th.

I think the kids will have a blast.

We leave out of Galveston March 18th. We are very excited. But we never do Disney during school breaks because of crowds. So I was a little worried about cruising too

Sorry, just notice you're on the Magic. We're on the Dream a day ahead of you out of Orlando. I think the kids will have a great time and I heard Carnival is awesome for teens.

We leave out of Galveston March 18th. We are very excited. But we never do Disney during school breaks because of crowds. So I was a little worried about cruising too

This is actually the week after the public school spring breaks for most of the Houston area (and maybe most of Texas), so it might not be too crowded. It will definitely be less crowded than the week before (which is when we're cruising on the Mariner out of Galveston!)! --Katie

This is actually the week after the public school spring breaks for most of the Houston area (and maybe most of Texas), so it might not be too crowded. It will definitely be less crowded than the week before (which is when we're cruising on the Mariner out of Galveston!)! --Katie

Wow that's a relief. Thanks for the info !:)

I think you're right. We are in the East Texas (Longview) area and our Spring Break is the week before (the week of the 12th).

Not to worry- have been on 4 Spring Break cruises (2 on the Splendor, a Miracle and a Valor). I have 17 year old twins that LOVE cruising during March. We've also taken a few during our Fall Break week in October along with our various exchange students. Have not seen much difference in 'bad behavior'. My kids much prefer when there are more kids in their age group. On a Spring Break cruise there will be about 250 in their group vs. 50 during Fall Break. Lots more kids for the dance parties(themed parties every night). They have organized activities for the teens but mine only do a few (scavenger hunt is a must). They will mostly sit around and talk or play cards in the O2 Club. I insist on 3 meals a day with them to 'connect'. And if they are not at an organized activity they need to leave me a message on the cabin phone or leave me a note of where they will be. They know I check on them often- I don't interrupt- just find them and 'wave'. Haven't had any problems. Tried the walkie-talkie thing- too much interference and 'chatter'. Annoying to other passengers, too! There will be one O2 sponsored 'teen only' excursion at one of the ports. We always book independent tours so haven't done this.

Safety-neither is allowed in anyone else's cabin (must wait outside in the hallway) and no one is allowed in theirs. Have never seen any teens 'wilding' in the elevators or stairwells. Definately a different 'vibe' during those weeks, though. Not crazy- just exciting and young. Sure beats the cruises with all those old people! (and I'm old!)

We've cruised over 3 Spring break weeks, and never had any issues at all. The only time we noticed it was a break week would be sailing from Baltimore - lots of college students, but the only thing that set them apart from everyone else was that they were always in the gym and running around the track. haha. I wouldn't say I noticed any behaviour that stood out as worse than any cruises we've taken at other times of year. And as someone else pointed out, not all states/districts/colleges are out at the same time, so you never know what you'll find, but I wouldn't let it deter you from cruising that week.

We are considering cruising during Spring Break again next year. This year we cruised out of Galveston on the Conquest, and had a great time. The cruise director said it was the first cruise he could remember that the Texans were actually out numbered---we Razorbacks over took the ship. I have 3 girls, ages 13, 7 and 4. There were a lot of kids on board, but we expected that. We have traveled to Disney and been on a Disney cruise in the past, and all 3 of my girls said that this was the best vacation ever! It looks like it might be another ship full of Arkansans next year, as our spring break is the week after Texas.

Glad to hear all of this:) I really hope my 16 yr old can connect with some other girls ( I know this age is difficult ) Sounds like fun !

Make sure she goes to the very first meeting for her age group. Most of the kids "group up" during that meeting. They don't necessarily participate in the ship run functions, but it seems to be the place to meet others that share your interests.

As far as keeping up with where your teens are, we always bring post it notes and leave notes on the mirror of the cabin. The rule is you better be where you say you are going to be. If you decide to go somewhere else, stop by the cabin and update the post it note. We also used the phones as they have voice messages. I have 3 kiddos (in college now) and these methods always worked for us when they were younger.

Thanks for the info about the Magic. We are sailing on the Magic March 3 (I think) sailing out of Galvaston and hoping not a huge amount of kids. And if there are a lot of kids, thats ok too...have 3 kids with the youngest in school she is watching our dogs since Ball State is out the same days when we are sailing :) We never took our kids out of school to cruise as they all were in AP classes and they didnt want to miss anything and they thanked us.

we went on the dream for spring break two years ago and my kids had a blast....we are cruising the magic on the 18th as well. my son is 16 and his friend is 15. they are a little shy sometimes but hopefully will get involved in the club 02. my daughter did. at the time she was 17 and she had a great time. as far as knowing where they are......my rule is that they have to have dinner with me....otherwise, and luckily my kids are relatively well behaved, they were out on their own. i spent a lot of time on my balcony so they knew where to find me.

i could buy the 2 way radios but for some reason i have a feeling they will always be left in the kids rooms........

have fun.......maybe we will see you. there is a roll call started. you might want to join......so far it's a little slow but it will start picking up now and then especially after christmas.

We are on the Magic on the 18th as well. I don't mind a lot of kids (we have 4, and are bringing 2 extra). But, we are from Oklahoma and I think Texas spring breaks are different than ours.

You guys should join the roll call. :D

The Dallas area's spring break is March 10-18.

This will be our first cruise on the Carnival Magic during 2012 spring break. Is this the worst time to cruise? Our kids are 8 and 16.

One of the most expensive weeks of the year to cruise, but not the worst. I've done it before and would definitely do it again, if the price is right.:)

So what are the busiest kid weeks in March and April? I know that short cruises during those months tend to be college party cruises, but what about 7 day cruises...say April 15th week? A lot of primary schhols off then or no? I know MD schools are not off. Thanks!

You can google and find several sites that will list all the College Spring Breaks.

They begin March 3 and run into mid-April. No listings public schools, but the colleges that will be on break.

Enjoy, DH is on spring break beginning March 9th and we are cruising on the Glory out of Miami!:)

Archived