"Cunardia" - Cunard Artefacts

guernseyguy

I know both the QE2 & QM2 have artefacts from Cunard history on-board, and the QV will have 'Cunardia' - anyone have any idea who is responsible for looking after these onboard - or is it handled shoreside? Reason I ask is my travelling companion on my June trans-Atlantic runs a museum, and I'd be interested in her professional opinion - and she may be interested in meeting the people on-board who do the same for Cunard. Sometimes it looks like stuff has been stuck in a case and forgotten about.....

A lot of the Cunardia onboard QE2 came from the late Peter Radmore who was very keen on Cunard souvenirs. He died a number of years ago and at quite a young age. Used to work for the National Theatre in London. I met him a few times onboard QE2 and was once invited back to his place to see some of the stuff. His home was a treasure trove to Cunard and if only they had space to display it all !!!

Some of the items for sale are from Peter Boyd Smiths shop Cobwebs in Northam Rd Southampton, Though lm sure he would fetch far better prices online..... He does go onboard several times to restock and tidy up the display, but if youve ever been to his shop you can be asured the onboard displays are very tidy.

When Mr Radmore passed away quite suddenly "Cunard" were invited to take away itmes that could be used and would be of interest.

Quite how Mr Radmore "aquired" so much items can only be guessed at, But to hear him telling the tales was quite an education.

Im quite sure had he lived longer he would have been a superb person to lecture onboard QE2, a ship he knew and loved so well, and personally it was a great honour to have known such a man.

And l know he would be proud of some of the QE2 things l managed to get my hands on:eek: but that really is another story, and probably best left there:)

cheers

Myles

As of the early 1980s, there was no (or certainly little, if any) memorablilia and artifacts publicly displayed aboard QE2, that I can remember.

Was it the era ??? "Old stuff" didn't fit in the "space age" QE2. Did Cunard & Trafalgar House truly feel "Ships have been boring long enough" (as stated in a 1969 QE2 promotional brochure), and therefore any sense of Cunard history was passe ???

• 10 months later...

My father, the late Gary Korn, had a rather extensive collection of ocean liner memorabilia. Most notably, a collection of ship's spoons some dating back to the 1800's. I arranged with the great people at Cunard, to have several of his pieces on display in "Cunardia". The Queen Mary life ring was one of his prized possessions. I will be visiting the collection during the Spring Getaway cruise. I hear they did a great job.

A lot of the Cunardia onboard QE2 came from the late Peter Radmore who was very keen on Cunard souvenirs.

And l know he would be proud of some of the QE2 things l managed to get my hands on:eek: but that really is another story, and probably best left there:)

cheers

Myles

Yeah, BIG case comes to mind ! :eek: :D

Yeah, BIG case comes to mind !

Gavin,

What ever do you mean:eek: ;) If you think lm bad, you should have seen the collection that Peter Radmore had. When l visited him in the late 80s even l was amazed at just how much he had. Afternoon tea that day was served and everything was used was Cunard items, right down to the sugar!!, even the table was from one of the old Queens.

Cunard took some of the items for the onboard displays, but where the rest of it went I have no idea.

Cheers

Myles

I know both the QE2 & QM2 have artefacts from Cunard history on-board, and the QV will have 'Cunardia' - anyone have any idea who is responsible for looking after these onboard - or is it handled shoreside? .....

Commodore Warwick (or is it ex-commodore, not sure if he keeps the title after retirement or not) is responsible for looking after 'Cunardia' on board Queen Victoria, but not sure if he has also assumed responsibility for the other ships as well.

Regards, Colin.

Was it the era ??? "Old stuff" didn't fit in the "space age" QE2. Did Cunard & Trafalgar House truly feel "Ships have been boring long enough" (as stated in a 1969 QE2 promotional brochure), and therefore any sense of Cunard history was passe ???

in 1987 she was still being sold as modern, state of the art (she still was, in many ways), ahead of her time, unique. She didn't have the same competition as now and she was still the biggest (apart from Norway)... there wasn't really much about her history on board... or not that i noticed. The Queens Room and the Grand Lounge were majorly refurbished in 1987, but not in a retro-style.

Commodore Warwick (or is it ex-commodore, not sure if he keeps the title after retirement or not) is responsible for looking after 'Cunardia' on board Queen Victoria, but not sure if he has also assumed responsibility for the other ships as well.

Regards, Colin.

Yes, Commodore Warwick is still Commodore Warwick, and always shall be.

As of the early 1980s, there was no (or certainly little, if any) memorablilia and artifacts publicly displayed aboard QE2, that I can remember.

QE2 has a fabulous collection of Cunard memorabilia onboard...has done since about 1994 refit, and more since. The Officer's Wardroom also has a fine collection. Sadly, when Cunard sold QE2 to the company in Dubai, all was sold with her. She was sold as is. VERY SAD state of affairs. QM2 has little to no memorabilia, although she does have the "Maritime Quest" with some super boards of history and replicated photos.

• 3 weeks later...
A lot of the Cunardia onboard QE2 came from the late Peter Radmore who was very keen on Cunard souvenirs. He died a number of years ago and at quite a young age. Used to work for the National Theatre in London. I met him a few times onboard QE2 and was once invited back to his place to see some of the stuff. His home was a treasure trove to Cunard and if only they had space to display it all !!!

Some of the items for sale are from Peter Boyd Smiths shop Cobwebs in Northam Rd Southampton, Though lm sure he would fetch far better prices online..... He does go onboard several times to restock and tidy up the display, but if youve ever been to his shop you can be asured the onboard displays are very tidy.

When Mr Radmore passed away quite suddenly "Cunard" were invited to take away itmes that could be used and would be of interest.

Quite how Mr Radmore "aquired" so much items can only be guessed at, But to hear him telling the tales was quite an education.

Im quite sure had he lived longer he would have been a superb person to lecture onboard QE2, a ship he knew and loved so well, and personally it was a great honour to have known such a man.

cheers

Myles

Myles

It is so nice to read your comments about Peter Radmore. Peter was a very good friend. He was just a few days younger than me. When he died he was under 50 that brought home to me how fragile we are and life is not forever.

I could write reams about Peter but I will resist. However His final trip on QE2 was a couple of months after his death. His ashes were taken to Southampron by several of his good friends and handed to the Purser. During the voyage to New York they were sprinkled somewhere in the Atlantic.

I see you are due to go on the last New York crossing. I would have liked to be on that crossing but unfortunatly I cant be. If I had a tribute made I wonder if you could take it with you and say a final farewell for me in mid atlantic.

I guess it would have to be authorised by the company and Captain. In the first instance would you be prepaired to help?

Roger

My father, the late Gary Korn, had a rather extensive collection of ocean liner memorabilia. Most notably, a collection of ship's spoons some dating back to the 1800's. I arranged with the great people at Cunard, to have several of his pieces on display in "Cunardia". The Queen Mary life ring was one of his prized possessions. I will be visiting the collection during the Spring Getaway cruise. I hear they did a great job.

CruiserAndy,

What an honour to have some of your fathers treasures in such a wonderful museum. I can certainly understand Mary's life-ring would have been one of his prized possessions. Please post some photos after your voyage.

Betsy

I bet Gavin and Myles could start-up their own Cunard museum ;)

Peter was a very good friend. He was just a few days younger than me. When he died he was under 50 that brought home to me how fragile we are and life is not forever.

I could write reams about Peter but I will resist.

Roger,

Gosh !!!! if you would be so kind as to email me, the address is at the bottom of the signiture.

Peter, well wouldnt he be laughing now if he could hear us, all this time after his passing and he is still being talked about. The Purser, if it was Jamie, along with James and the rest of that gang:eek: we can be assured the send off would be one to remember.

On our crossing in 1987 it was an incredable voyage, not least that we had a trip upstairs, but also well below as well, Peter really was a hell of a guy:D

What ever became of the rest of the collection that Cunard didnt want.

I do look forward to hearing from you very soon

Myles

• 3 months later...

I have a collection of some 800 items of liner memorabilia too, quite a bit of it Cunard. I spent hours drooling over some of the items on display on QE2. It becomes very addictive. Mine is bequeathed to the National Maritime Museum in Greenwich who apparently have very little.

Great pictures CruiserAndy

• 1 year later...
website has changed to:

www.cruiseshipstuff.com

That is a great tribute to your dad...he obviously had a passion for ocean liners.

With the Queen Elizabeth I mentioned to Cunard where they could find a period Cunard art deco Piano..along with furnishings from QE. I forwarded a lead to where letters removed from the wreck of the original QE could be found and possibly loaned to Cunard as I have found no confirmation they are in use right now. No word on wether they pursued the opportunities or not..but with so much interesting Cunardia out there it would be fun to see some of it back on a Cunard ship where the theme is history and the past.

I was alowed to keep my egg cups from breakfast in the Queens grill from the final breakfast in Dubai. Actually the crew were so busy packing they may have let me have anything? I was also given the stateroom key, folder and dressing gown, as a momento. I had to fly home and could not carry much more.

Archived