Paris-Normandy

Mooneydiva

My husband & I are on a Paris-Normandy cruise next spring, and I have a question or two about the Normandy tours from river boats. I realize that this is a new cruise for the line we're taking (AMA), but I think the answers would probably be the same.

If you take the Normandy D-Day excursions, I assume you take a motorcoach from the boat to the beaches and all. Am I correct? How long is the ride? How long do you stay?

Also, same basic questions for Honfleur. . . Motorcoach to the town & back? How long is that trip?

Thanks!

Most cruise lines bus from Rouen to the D-Day invasions sites. Grand Circle docks in Honfleur, which is closer. We went on Grand Circle, It was an all day tour of the landing sites on one day, and there was another day with about a 2.5 hour visit to the Peace Museum at Caen. The first day we went to Caen on our way to the beaches to pick up our local guide. It was about 1 hour from Honfleur to Caen, and I would estimate that it was about 2 hours from Rouen. For a trip report on this cruise see http://jackthetravelingman-seine.blogspot.com.

CBB, I read your answer on the other post. Thanks. That's what I thought, but it's good to have it verified.

Jack, I enjoyed reading your blog. I was particularly interested because we'll be there at the same time of year, and I wanted to know about the gardens in Giverny since it's so early in spring.

The D-Day excursion will probably be heart-wrenching. I had two uncles who fought there. They never talked about it.

Thank you both for your help.

Can only speak for Uniworld. Both the Normandy and Honfleur excursions are by motor coach from Rouen. Bot realitively quick (1 to 1.5 hours) and the scenery is pretty if not breathtaking. Honfleur is post card pretty. If you have some free time stop for a drink or lunch at one of the many dock side restruants. Normandy is awsome and humbling. Should be on every Americans list of places to see. Enjoy - this is a great cruise.

Jack, I enjoyed reading your blog. I was particularly interested because we'll be there at the same time of year, and I wanted to know about the gardens in Giverny since it's so early in spring.

Thank you both for your help.

You can go to giverny.com and they tell you what should be in bloom for various months. Even if the flowers might not be as spectacular as later, there is also Monet's house to visit and it is quite interesting. Also, you can walk up the road to the church where he is buried.

If you do get to Giverny (and it is wonderful...) - you might also enjoy seeing Monet's original water lily canvases. They are housed in the Orangerie - in the corner of the Tuillerie Gardens in Paris.

I did not particularly care for impressionist art until I saw these in person. Just breathtaking....

Fran

• 2 weeks later...

Check the current special for this cruise on AMA Waterways. $1000 per person discount, plus an additional 10% off this discounted price. Wow. Check the post I started on this board. But hurry, because this deal ends August 31.

Hi, We just returned from Vikings Paris to Normandy cruise. We left from Rouen. The trip to the Normandy beaches was taken by almost everyone on the ship. It is included in the cruise. There were 3 buses to the American part and 1 bus for the Canadian and Great British passenger. It Was the best part of the cruise. We toured Juno beach. there is a very good musium there. Lunch was provided at a local restaurant and then we went to the cematery above Omaha beach. We had a small ceremony there. We then had a drive down to the beach. And then it was back to the Ship it took about 1.5 hours each way.

Two "chefs" on this thread, FirstPlace and chef1943. I would like to hear what your thoughts are on the food on the river cruise.

I've done the Normandy tour with Overlord Tours and it was chilling. Being in that cemetery was overwhelming. Fantastic. Yes, I will go again.

There`s more to enjoy on this cruise than the "big name" tours. We loved Les Andelys -docked right on the town shores, Rouen itself is so beautiful. Just getting off the boat and wandering around was just a joy in the little places. Incidentally, we were amused (and delighted) by the roundabouts on the roads (not sure what you yanks call them!) they were posed with lovely items just like impressionist still life paintings- something to look out for on the bus. We just loved Normandy and plan to go back there for a land based holiday. Certainly our most beautiful river cruise

• 1 month later...
My husband & I are on a Paris-Normandy cruise next spring, and I have a question or two about the Normandy tours from river boats. I realize that this is a new cruise for the line we're taking (AMA), but I think the answers would probably be the same.

If you take the Normandy D-Day excursions, I assume you take a motorcoach from the boat to the beaches and all. Am I correct? How long is the ride? How long do you stay?

Also, same basic questions for Honfleur. . . Motorcoach to the town & back? How long is that trip?

Thanks!

Mooneydiva, we are also taking an AMA cruise from Paris to Normandy. I am looking at flights from Paris back to JFK. Do you know what time you can get off the boat? I am looking at a 10:20 flight back to US. I would like to know if we would be able to make that flight, or I should look at something else. We are on the Amalegro in September. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

We are taking our first Viking Cruise over Thanksgiving. Hoping the weather will be ok. We expect cold and perhaps rainy but fewer crowds and more time to wander. Anyone else going at that time? We are doing 2 days in Paris alone and then meeting the ship. :)

countdown.pl?image=panamacanal&name=wise woman&date=11-24-2013&text=&ship=Viking Spirit

Hi. We just booked our first Riverboat Cruise. We are sailing the Paris/Normandy route in July on Avalon. Any "lessons learned" from past cruisers on this itinerary would be much appreciated.

We are booked on our 2nd Avalon cruise for June 2014, Grand France.which includes both Paris/Normandy plus Paris/Cote D'azur..so very interested to hear how your trip goes. If its anything like our 1st one then we're all in for a fantastic time:)

Archived