Star drydock - what is planned?

NCTribeFan

Well it looks like we have 2 of those alledged water mark/steamy window suites on the cruise immediately following dry dock. Certainly hope this is fixed!!!! Will try to follow up with a post and let everyone know our experience.

Well it looks like we have 2 of those alledged water mark/steamy window suites on the cruise immediately following dry dock. Certainly hope this is fixed!!!! Will try to follow up with a post and let everyone know our experience.

Thank you! Will look forward to your posting. Have a wonderful cruise!!!

• 2 weeks later...

We just got off the Star in suite 12500. The only reason I noticed anything was because I read about it on here and was looking for it. The light streaks did not hinder our enjoyment at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

hey, sorry for the delay, work has been nuts since our return!

we were in 12530 which is one of the larger SJ suites (with the bump out windows) that only sleeps 4 (no murphy bed). its twin in 12030.

We had a few streaks on one window but it did not affect our viewing in anyway. we LOVED THIS ROOM! i concur with a prior poster, tho, the location of the large smoking area directly outside the doors to the hallway to our suite is a poor choice. while we fortunately did not get smoke in our room, it was in the hallway and got worse over the 2 week period. And you had to walk thru it every time you went to and from your room to the pool. Often, we'd cut thru the library to go out the starboard side.

the only other thing ill add is you can hear the jogging track in this room. it never woke us up, but if we were awake it would have been difficult to get to sleep. we were aware as we had read about this, but we tend to be earlier risers anyway and it never affected my nap time. but the demographic on my sailing was probably an average age of 65. so not many runners. i imagine on a caribbean sail or a younger demographic sail this would be more of an issue. but such a fab room otherwise!!!

we were victims of flooding from the pool during the infamous listing incident the last night. Our carpet was soaked pretty bad. i hope they got this dried out for whoever came in next.

hey, sorry for the delay, work has been nuts since our return!

we were in 12530 which is one of the larger SJ suites (with the bump out windows) that only sleeps 4 (no murphy bed). its twin in 12030.

We had a few streaks on one window but it did not affect our viewing in anyway. we LOVED THIS ROOM! i concur with a prior poster, tho, the location of the large smoking area directly outside the doors to the hallway to our suite is a poor choice. while we fortunately did not get smoke in our room, it was in the hallway and got worse over the 2 week period. And you had to walk thru it every time you went to and from your room to the pool. Often, we'd cut thru the library to go out the starboard side.

the only other thing ill add is you can hear the jogging track in this room. it never woke us up, but if we were awake it would have been difficult to get to sleep. we were aware as we had read about this, but we tend to be earlier risers anyway and it never affected my nap time. but the demographic on my sailing was probably an average age of 65. so not many runners. i imagine on a caribbean sail or a younger demographic sail this would be more of an issue. but such a fab room otherwise!!!

we were victims of flooding from the pool during the infamous listing incident the last night. Our carpet was soaked pretty bad. i hope they got this dried out for whoever came in next.

Welcome back...glad you enjoyed the FS! Tell me more about the "infamous listing incident the last night"...I have not heard about that :eek:

Welcome back...glad you enjoyed the FS! Tell me more about the "infamous listing incident the last night"...I have not heard about that :eek:

around 730pm the ship made a very sharp, sudden turn. we were in Gatsby's and the whole ship listed toward the port side. drinks and glassware slid off the bar, paintings at Park West toppled over, we were suspended port side for probably a good 30 seconds.

as a result, the pool and hot tubs dumped water all over the deck that leaked all into the library, and the port side hallway of the deck 12 suites. at least the first three suites got soaked carpet including ours. an elevator shaft started smoking so a Code Bravo was called. Captain Mattias came on right away and explained that the sudden turn was due to a "human error" and apologized to everyone.

around 730pm the ship made a very sharp, sudden turn. we were in Gatsby's and the whole ship listed toward the port side. drinks and glassware slid off the bar, paintings at Park West toppled over, we were suspended port side for probably a good 30 seconds.

as a result, the pool and hot tubs dumped water all over the deck that leaked all into the library, and the port side hallway of the deck 12 suites. at least the first three suites got soaked carpet including ours. an elevator shaft started smoking so a Code Bravo was called. Captain Mattias came on right away and explained that the sudden turn was due to a "human error" and apologized to everyone.

WOW...what a fright. Captain Mattias is a hoot, isn't he. He sure loves to talk on the PA. Did you ever find out what the "human error" was?

On another note...did you hear any updated news on the dry doc?

Hey Dex! Yes, we had fogged windows. In November we were in 12508 and 3 of the 4 windows were bad. I had ongoing emails from the Hotel Director about the windows since we had 3 more cruises booked in those Family Suites. He sent me a list of "the good, the bad and the ugly" windows. So on our March cruise we were in 12022 and all 4 windows were perfectly fine! We are hoping the HD's assurance that they will be fixed during drydock will be true, as we have 3 suites booked next March and one is on the "bad" list. :cool:

On another note...are you doing more MSC cruises in Yacht Club? We want to try them, but YC is always sold out on the dates we want :confused:

They were supposed to fix them during the previous drydock according to reports.

Yes, we have two booked on Seaside next year, an Eastern and a Western with the kids both times.

For what it is worth. We were in 12002 two weeks ago. We were told the windows were supposed to be addressed during the drydock.

We were in 12002 August 2011. We had 4-5 fogged. I've posted pictures of them before. Butler came in first day and said "...this just started....".

Thanks for the updates. Hope everything is completed as my wife and I are sailing out of Venice come June 17th. First time on the Star, only other Norwegian cruise was on the Epic out of Barcelona a few years back.

I just got off of the Star this morning and stayed in one of the suites on deck 12 that previously was the observation lounge. The Spinnaker Lounge is now deck 7 aft and there not one on deck 12.

What is your opinion on Star . I am going beginning of June and would like any info please

What is your opinion on Star . I am going beginning of June and would like any info please

I know you are asking someone else, but we've sailed Dawn once and Star twice. They are o.k. ships. Both were getting a bit rundown prior to their most recent drydocks but look pretty good since. The class itself is a good type. Most of the suites are pretty decent especially the ones they added on 12.

Star is our favorite. The suites are pretty decent on the 12th. We will gladly go back to the Star but she is now based in Europe most of the time. The service we got aboard the Star was superb.

Just got off, superb service again. Good size ship but big problem is lack of fwd and aft views. No crows nest nor rear facing bar. Love osheehans and the walking tracks on promenade and 13.

Sent from my iPod touch using Forums

Star is great with the right size for a cruise ship. Been on it 3 times and going again in July:

- Best itineraries

- One of fastest speed in NCL fleet - more time at port

- No reservation needed for shows - always plenty of seats available

- You can always find a table in the buffet, or a table in the main dining rooms

Only shortcoming is lack of move activities (rock climbing, ...) for teenagers. So its is best for destination cruises rather than being on ship in the Caribbean.

Star is great with the right size for a cruise ship. Been on it 3 times and going again in July:

- Best itineraries

- You can always find a table in the buffet, or a table in the main dining rooms

Only shortcoming is lack of move activities (rock climbing, ...) for teenagers. So its is best for destination cruises rather than being on ship in the Caribbean.

Have to disagree about time in port, just did a month on the Star and it was the number one complaint. Left every port mid afternoon. Always less time than other ships we were in port with.

They also had problems offloading passengers at every port and blamed the relevant port every time (if you have a problem with every port you need to look at yourselves).

Similar to the Sun, in Alaska we followed an X ship around and always had less time as well.

I enjoy the ncl onboard experience but not convinced they are a good cruise line for discovering ports.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

- Best itineraries

It may be one of the fastest in the fleet but that has nothing to do with how long in port. NCL shortened most port times 2-3 years ago speculation being on saving fuel by sailing slower.

Back from the transatlantic cruise on the very tired "Star". On a chat with captain he pointed mostly upgrade will be on the restaurant area. About child area I think they're gonna change the "Ice cream" area.

I spotted at least one group of subcontractors working during the cross. I ask at one of technician about specifically what they're doing, he was vague but his company is on the HVAC area renovation so because they're working on the after compressor area, I think they use the cross to start disassembling or replacing stuff around.

Anyway COB Marek told me they're gonna check pods seals (again) "just in case" and renovate one gen unit.

I hope they're doing something about the outdated cabin but seems not enough time.

Back from the transatlantic cruise on the very tired "Star". On a chat with captain he pointed mostly upgrade will be on the restaurant area. About child area I think they're gonna change the "Ice cream" area.

I spotted at least one group of subcontractors working during the cross. I ask at one of technician about specifically what they're doing, he was vague but his company is on the HVAC area renovation so because they're working on the after compressor area, I think they use the cross to start disassembling or replacing stuff around.

Anyway COB Marek told me they're gonna check pods seals (again) "just in case" and renovate one gen unit.

I hope they're doing something about the outdated cabin but seems not enough time.

Thank you for the update. I am going on the Star in July and while the ports excite I am scared I will be underwhelmed by a tired ship!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums