Train from Greenock to Glasgow

Terelsbell

We took the train from Greenock to Glasgow central station several years ago. It was a short walk from the cruise terminal and inexpensive. We would definitely use this means of transportation again.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Both Greenock West and greenock Central are in walking distance. Here's how to get to Greenock West. it will take around 15 minutes I think. You can also look up the timetables for the date you're in. The station you will use in Glasgow is Glasgow Central.

Come out of Ocean Terminal - you will be on Patrick Street. Cross at the traffic lights and continue up Patrick Street (with the water behind you). At the top of this street, Finnart Street crosses it (it is the 4th junction - the first one being Union Street with the lights). Turn left into Finnart Street, past the college. Turn right into Nelson Street. Take the next left into Newton Street and this will lead you round to the station.

For timetables - http://www.nationalrail.co.uk

I was born in, and lived in Greenock for 25 years. The walk to the station from the port will take about 20 minutes. Don't worry about getting lost, ask anyone and they will gladly help. There are a lot of locals who volunteer to help cruise passengers at the port , my mum is one of them , they will point you in the right direction.

• 2 months later...

It's a little bit over a mile. We walked through a mall on the way to the station on our cruise last summer. There were not a lot of stairs but there were a few. (When we walked from the cruise ship to the train station in South Queensferry, there were over 100 stairs.)

I did not notice whether there were taxis available, but there usually are in every port.

We purchased a return train ticket to Glasgow combined with the hop-on/hop-off bus ticket. It was 20 pounds per person.

We had to ask a couple of employees to make sure we had the right train back to Greenock since we hit the Glasgow train station at rush hour on the way back.

• 2 weeks later...

In my opinion, the far and away best deal in Greenock is the FREE 4 hour local tour put on by the locals. They might tell you that you can make a donation to help pay for the bus, but there is no pressure to do so. We have taken 2 different "locals" tours and they were both delightful, well organized and informative. We would do that again in a heartbeat.

Doug

In my opinion, the far and away best deal in Greenock is the FREE 4 hour local tour put on by the locals. They might tell you that you can make a donation to help pay for the bus, but there is no pressure to do so. We have taken 2 different "locals" tours and they were both delightful, well organized and informative. We would do that again in a heartbeat.

Doug

We took a taxi from the ship to the train station. It cost about 2 pounds and was very convenient. The station is outdoors but we didn't wait long for the train. When we returned there were no taxis at the station but within a minute or 2 of walking, we were able to flag one down.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Couldn't agree more. The people were so friendly. Two young ladies were our guides. Wonderful few hours.

Doug

Doug

Do you have a link for this? We've been to Glasgow and considering staying in Greenock

• 2 months later...

The free local tours are run by Inverclyde Tourist Group https://www.inverclydetouristgroup.co.uk/. Also, it’s worth a wee trip down to Gourock (bus stop is just outside the terminal in front of St Mary’s Church). This small town is full of fantastic independent shops selling lots of art and unique gifts, many of which have been created by Scottish artisans. Great coffee shops and views that are just fantastic. Bus takes around 10 mins to get there.

Imho it’s a longish walk. Definitely a solid 20 minutes. We almost missed our train and had to run.

For another option, It’s very easy to take the train to Glasgow and then switch stations via walking or connector bus and take the train to Stirling to see the castle. We took the 9:39 train arriving in Stirling at 11:04 and returned on the 2:30ish train.

The free local tours are run by Inverclyde Tourist Group https://www.inverclydetouristgroup.co.uk/. Also, it’s worth a wee trip down to Gourock (bus stop is just outside the terminal in front of St Mary’s Church). This small town is full of fantastic independent shops selling lots of art and unique gifts, many of which have been created by Scottish artisans. Great coffee shops and views that are just fantastic. Bus takes around 10 mins to get there.

Thank you for the link and the advice about Gourock