Re: Le Petit Chef

FM

Have seen the video and can’t wait to see live!

You will love it !! Video does it no justice .Just done it a few days ago . Its magical . Food was about same as main dinning room . Fab steak actually and you can mix the menus

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Three of the six of us opted to give Le Petit Chef a go last night....I did not due to a shellfish allergy. The vote was unanimous.....cosi cosi (italian for so-so). As my one friend said, "great idea, but probably in stage 1 of 5 of production". Food was good but no better than MDR they thought, and experience fun but not as good as they had hoped based on teaser video. I on the other hand really enjoyed my roast turkey dinner in MDR so it was a good night for me

When I read your response the first time, I started to reply, but then stopped myself. However, you posted again about how much you pay for specialty dining on vacation. $300-$500 per person (without drinks, I'm hoping, because a couple of bottles of expensive wine could easily drive up a bill to this level, and then it wouldn't be an apples-to-apples comparison) means you're eating at a five-star, possibly even Michelin starred restaurant. Le Petit Chef isn't one of these. It's a projection theater on your plate with a steak and lobster dinner. It's not a foodie restaurant. It's a gimmick. The menu isn't inspired; it's cliched. Now whether it's worth $55 at the top of the specialty range for Celebrity is certainly subjective, but as someone who also is happy to pay for fine dining in a restaurant with a celebrated chef and service team, I don't think the comparison is fair. It has no interest to me. I like an adventurous menu, and Le Petit Chef is not that.

I like an adventurous menu as well. But I also like a double quarter pounder with cheese. It's not one or the other... You can appreciate both. Though I'm curious what you find "adventurous" on a cruise ship? And when you find something adventurous, do you limit yourself to that menu for every meal of your cruise?

I'm not much of a wine drinker, so $300 - $500 is a pretty typical range for Michelin dining with cocktails. I don't buy expensive wines as it does nothing for me. But our last 2 Michelin star restaurant, I did opt for the wine pairing option and the bill came out to just under $1,000 for the two of us. But that's beside the point. $55 is not a lot of money for dining, especially considering the location and what a comparable experience would run at a resort or any city. Maybe cruises are such a bargain that we lose sight of what these things typically cost?

The point about the cost, is that for a tiny fraction of what great dining costs, you can do LPC. And LPC on land is $162.50. So charging $55 for it is a very fair price. I like the menu and appreciate the concept and idea. I'm most certainly not expecting Michelin dining. It's probably not something I would do more than once, but I'll definitely enjoy it for what it is. We did the Wine Lovers lunch on NCL, it was a set menu, too, with entertainment... It was a lot of fun and worth every penny. I have a hunch I'll feel similar about LPC.

LPC is about the same price as the other specialty offerings. So it's not as if you are paying a huge premium for it. And since we are also dining at the other specialty restaurants, we aren't missing anything at all. So why not enjoy a unique and different dining experience for a reasonable price while on vacation?

I like an adventurous menu as well. But I also like a double quarter pounder with cheese. It's not one or the other... You can appreciate both. Though I'm curious what you find "adventurous" on a cruise ship? And when you find something adventurous, do you limit yourself to that menu for every meal of your cruise?

I'm not much of a wine drinker, so $300 - $500 is a pretty typical range for Michelin dining with cocktails. I don't buy expensive wines as it does nothing for me. But our last 2 Michelin star restaurant, I did opt for the wine pairing option and the bill came out to just under $1,000 for the two of us. But that's beside the point. $55 is not a lot of money for dining, especially considering the location and what a comparable experience would run at a resort or any city. Maybe cruises are such a bargain that we lose sight of what these things typically cost?

The point about the cost, is that for a tiny fraction of what great dining costs, you can do LPC. And LPC on land is $162.50. So charging $55 for it is a very fair price. I like the menu and appreciate the concept and idea. I'm most certainly not expecting Michelin dining. It's probably not something I would do more than once, but I'll definitely enjoy it for what it is. We did the Wine Lovers lunch on NCL, it was a set menu, too, with entertainment... It was a lot of fun and worth every penny. I have a hunch I'll feel similar about LPC.

LPC is about the same price as the other specialty offerings. So it's not as if you are paying a huge premium for it. And since we are also dining at the other specialty restaurants, we aren't missing anything at all. So why not enjoy a unique and different dining experience for a reasonable price while on vacation?

Absolutely agree. Just done it on Silhouette few days ago . Loved it !!!

Absolutely agree. Just done it on Silhouette few days ago . Loved it !!!

Thanks! And I like the menu, so it works out. I'm looking forward to having some fun and doing something a little different for one night.

We have tried on Reflection past April. It was fun for $25/ pp., experiencing once.

Not worth $50/pp. Just my 2 cents.

We enjoy good, unusually prepared dishes and so far - Wonderland on Anthem of the Sea tops the list.

Murano always deliver very nice dining.

It has been informative reading everyone's opinion re: LPC. The last time we cruised with Celebrity was aboard the Silhouette on a two-week cruise; as we were in AquaClass we pretty well dined every evening in Blu as we were quite impressed with the cuisine and service back then. We have an upcoming cruise aboard the Edge early next year so was interested in the available Specialty Dining options.

With the limited fixed menu offering was curious what made LPC a $50 upcharge, if its uniqueness is the animated aspect. It looks quite interesting but if you have been aboard any of the Disney ships, then the experience in Animator's Palate would be very hard to beat; although I would believe that the cuisine quality is much better aboard Celebrity

But it's been quite a few years since we've been on Celebrity so I am hoping that the dining is as good as I remember ...

I understand that $55 isn't much to pay for a dinner, let alone one with built in entertainment. However, it is at the top of Celebrity's range for specialty dining if you omit the chef's table.

However, I would never pay for a meal that sounded boring, and this one does to me. It's like an upscale, prix fixe wedding meal.

What I consider adventurous on a cruise would be things like steak tartare, escargot, fish crudo, wild game, lamb, interestingly prepared vegetables, souffles, etc.

Food is very subjective. I was just thinking that my mother and father in law would find Le Petit Chef very enjoyable. I'd rather eat ethnic food any day over this menu. But that's just my choice.