Portside or Starboard?

ajmac01

No difference whatsoever. Port side doesn't mean they are going to dock with that side towards the island. So, just go with whatever room you want and whatever you miss going, you'll see coming back.

Judy

Any opinions on which side of the ship is better, port or starboard?

If you're cruising into San Juan, you might want Port, because as you enter the harbor, you'll get to the see the Fort (and take pictures) from your balcony, if you have a balcony.....

the hotel director on the conquest told me and a friend that the docking depends on if they have to run any lifeboat drills or do any maintenence on a particular side of the ship that day.

That's gorgeous!

I agree that it probably doesn't make a difference. Some ports it may, such as the above example, but overall not. What I did is look out my (starboard) balcony to see what's there, then ran up to the Lido deck before leaving the ship to see what's on the other side.

Hi Flem1064 , I must agree that picture is gorgeous and making me even more anxious we sail on the 4th from N.Y. can't wait.:cool:

If you have a port balcony at Grand Turk, you have this view:

a9c3088d.jpg

But keep in mind, most shots can be had from the upper decks also. I think in Saint Thomas, having a balcony on the port side is best, because you have a great view of Charlotte Amalie when you're docked at the port.

I have been on both port and starboard. I prefer port, mid ship. I enjoy seeing the harbor pilot get off the ship right below my balcony. Everyone cheers and the pilot usually waves good-bye to the ship. It is kinda thrilling to see that little boat bumping up against our big ship!

No difference whatsoever. Port side doesn't mean they are going to dock with that side towards the island. So, just go with whatever room you want and whatever you miss going, you'll see coming back.

Judy

I guess that makes sense.

Flem1064 your picture is gorgeous. Its the views like that and what he said about docking in St. Thomas that make me ask the original question.

I agree, either side is fine. I don't think the ship docked on the same side twice on most of my cruises. Our balcony view would sometimes be gorgeous and sometimes not so great. Just go and have a fabulous cruise!!!

Flem1064 your picture is gorgeous. Its the views like that and what he said about docking in St. Thomas that make me ask the original question.

Here's some of the pics I got while docked in St Thomas:

66694f73.jpg

18070403.jpg

On a southbound cruise from Alaska to Vancouver, woudn't it be best to be on the port side, since that it where the mountains and most of the land is located. I'm going on my first Alaska cruise in June, 2008, and I assumed port would be the better choice.:confused:

We usually pick the port side and have it on Alaska Southbound. On our way back from Hawaii we opted for the Starboard Side to have sun during the day.

We select the side based on which side you want the sun or not, comming or going. Sunsets are nice depending on thime of year and what time you dine.

Hope this helps.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...
I feel a little silly...did a search for "port/starboard" and the SEARCH wasn't working, so I started my own thread. Little did I know, this thread was directly under mine!! OOPS! :eek:

Thanks for all the helpful info anyways!! :D

Dont feel silly, I just moved it up for you. You are going to have a great time on Liberty...port or starboard :)

Archived