NCL Dawn Menus Jan 2006

nj_cruisers

Hello all:

I lurk more than I post as my DW posts more than I do.

In thanks for the info we get from you all on the cc boards, FYI, here are the new menus from the NCL Dawn.

This was our 2nd cruise on NCL Dawn. 1st being Feb. 05.

We were not impressed by the food in the main dining rooms or Bamboo. We felt the food was better last year. We did enjoy Cagneys, Le Bistro and Teppanyaki.

I could critique the food but rather not since everyone has different palates and must come to their own conclusions of what they think of the food.

For many of you who have been wanting to know... Enjoy!

http://community.webshots.com/user/nj_cruisers

When you get to my album, On each menu, Please click on "view full size" and go to RH corner of jpg and click on icon to expand to regular size to read.

Hi NJ Cruisers and thank you for posting the new menus. It all looks good to me :) I know you wanted to avoid critiquing the menu. I agree that palate preferences are individual and subjective, but in your opinion, what were some of the menu choices that stood out one way or the other?

Thanks for taking the time to photograph the menus, and post them.

Hi Shoreguy:

We knew you would appreciate this and we appreciate your wonderful posts throughout the NCL board.

We met you last year. My wife told you about the "little people".:D

We played 3 Card poker together some nights. Do you remember us?

Hi NJ Cruisers and thank you for posting the new menus. It all looks good to me :) I know you wanted to avoid critiquing the menu. I agree that palate preferences are individual and subjective, but in your opinion, what were some of the menu choices that stood out one way or the other?

Thanks for taking the time to photograph the menus, and post them.

2 things that come quickly to mind, we thought prunes in the beef consumme was odd and the fried wontons were definitely not fresh and were frozen. We felt the food was salty. DW complained of being bloated and could not get rings back on.

Funny, we also thought sides like rice, potatoes were shaped like an ice cream scooper.

Is there anything specific you want to know?

BTW, You're welcome.

Hi Shoreguy:

We knew you would appreciate this and we appreciate your wonderful posts throughout the NCL board.

We met you last year. My wife told you about the "little people".:D

We played 3 Card poker together some nights. Do you remember us?

Sure do - They will find me at that same table in about 13 days. :D

NJ Cruisers,

Yeah, I would think prunes in beef consomme a bit odd too, and ice-cream-scooped side dishes remind me of school lunch. I think most of the cruise food I have had was prefrozen anyway. I'm sure it will all be fine though. Was there anything at all you would say is a must have? Did anyone in your party have the lobster? How was it? I haven't been particularly fond of cruise lobster anyway. Were there any great desserts?

Electricon,

Leeks are an herb or vegetable in the lily family. In my opinion, they have a mild sort of oniony flavor.

We felt the food was salty. DW complained of being bloated and could not get rings back on.

If your DW drank the ship's water, then the bloating could be from the sodium in the water (the water is desalinated, but I think still contains sodium). If so, then bring/buy bottled water and no more bloating (from water, anyway!;) )

I noticed my favorite dinner, the Presidents dinner, isn't listed..... Oh well, the other dinners will have to do.... The only dinner I didn't find appetizing was the Caribbean dinner. I also noticed NCL still delivers the leg of lamb...Yummy.....

Come on 2boyzmom, try new dishes..... You never know if you'll love them if you won't try.....

I also noticed its true, most nights have have a fish and shellfish entree, and only one beef entree....

Yikes- looks like I'd only be eating in the dining room on day one and two :(

Same for me, only a few days. I'm a real picking eater, I don't do fish and only boneless chichen and boneless pork. Some of the veggie dishes sounded good.

Thanks so much for posted the menus!!!!

We're on a 8 day cruise what menu will be cut day 9? Do they serve them in the same order each cruise? We're on the Star but I know must lines have the same menu fleet wide.

Thanks again!

NJ Cruisers,

Yeah, I would think prunes in beef consomme a bit odd too, and ice-cream-scooped side dishes remind me of school lunch. I think most of the cruise food I have had was prefrozen anyway. I'm sure it will all be fine though. Was there anything at all you would say is a must have? Did anyone in your party have the lobster? How was it? I haven't been particularly fond of cruise lobster anyway. Were there any great desserts?

We ate at Cagneys 2nd night. I don't like lobster. DW had the Maine lobster and said it was steamed perfectly and it was delicious sans butter. She also got a lobster tail which was the same as served in the dr. She said it a big difference in taste. dr lobster tail was a bit rubbery. We were told the lobster tail was from the Pacific Lobster. She would agree with you about cruise lobster. I'm not a sweets eater but did like the ice cream. DW liked the chocolate desserts and cheesecakes and some of the bread puddings.

The only must haves:

We have to recommend Teppanyaki at least one night. We did the lobster/filet mignon combo. She had all the lobster and I had all the filet mignon. Very good! Janet is an excellent teppanyaki chef.

Book early as there are only 3 seatings of 18 people 5:30P, 7:30P and 9:30P. Don't be late as they will not seat you after the chef starts to cook.

Le Bistro- escargot, firestar combos, Steamed chicken with shrimp mousse, filet mignon, chocolate fondue, cheesecake (desserts change nightly here)

Cagney's- lobster, shrimp cocktail-(ask for 2, shrimp were huge and delicious), Filet mignon, NY strip (fork tender- didn't need knife to cut), lamb ribs, dessert -same as above

Hope this helps!

Everyone's different, what we like others may not. Enjoy your cruise!

If your DW drank the ship's water, then the bloating could be from the sodium in the water (the water is desalinated, but I think still contains sodium). If so, then bring/buy bottled water and no more bloating (from water, anyway!;) )

We both drank bottled water on the ship. We had canned diet soda at meals. Soda card not worth it since we did that last year and soda was flat and glasses were small.

We did not have this problem last year but I don't want to get into a debate about this.

Thank you so much for posting these menus! I wish we would have had some of these options on our Spirit cruise in November. We were so happy with the menus on NCL Sea in July (including the President's dinner) that the Spirit's menus were really disappointing to us.

Please note: These menus were for our 10 day cruise. The schedule may be different on your cruise.

On day 1 after embarkation, we asked to see the scheduled menus for the cruise so that we can make our spec rest res. We were told by the hostess at the podiums in the Atrium that the menus will change daily and they could not give us menus to look at.

We did schedule Le Bistro the 1st night as 1st night is 1/2 off cover charge.

We made our reservations based on what we remembered from last year's menus. We figure we would cancel the res if the menu in the dr looked interesting. We cancelled Le Bistro one night for Aqua.

You are all welcome. So glad I can be of help for once on this board.

I noticed my favorite dinner, the Presidents dinner, isn't listed..... Oh well, the other dinners will have to do.... The only dinner I didn't find appetizing was the Caribbean dinner. I also noticed NCL still delivers the leg of lamb...Yummy.....

We too were very disappointed as the President's Dinner was our fave as well and last year it was served as the Murder Mystery Dinner. This year the Murder Mystery Dinner was on the Caribbean night. We did sign up but passed when we found out what was for dinner.

On my recent 7 day Sun cruise, only one Freestyle menu of the three listed here were served. We saw the Bon Voyage, Captain's Gala, Italian, Caribbean, Freestyle, Farewell, and Chef's Dinner menus in that order. The Freestyle Dinner menu we saw on the Sun was the Day 8 on this list. We didn't see the other Freestyle or the Star Spangled Banner Dinner menus.

I hope this helps some as it appears these menus are being served fleet wide.

OK- call me ignorant- what's teppanyaki meal? Please tell me it's not raw anything and I'll be happy. Hold the oxtails too :)

Teppanyaki refers to the way the food is prepared. Teppanyaki tables are wrapped around a grill, and the chef stands in the middle, preparing your meal directly in front of you, and serving directly onto your plate. As a general rule, there is a bit of a performance involved while cooking! :)

If you've ever been to a Benihana (sp?) you've been to a Teppanyaki Style restaurant. Some also refer to it as Hibachi style as well.

Hope this clears things up.

Archived