Anyone on or just off a Scenic cruise this yr?

Rod,

This is our first river cruise. (Sept. 3 Amsterdam to Budapest on Scenic Jade). Looks like we may be facing issues with low water levels with the dry summer in Europe. We purposely chose the Jade as it has has a unique balcony feature. I would be disappointed if we ended up on another vessel. Too early to fret I must admit.

-Dianne

Dianne, we are also scheduled for the Scenic Jade on Sept. 3rd this year Amsterdam to Bucharest. Look forward to seeing you!

Also interested in any tips from prior Scenic passengers, it's been helpful to read what others have encountered.

Rod

The good news is that traffic seems to be flowing, with no backups in Regensburg, Passau and Vienna. The only Danube port with a lot of ships moored is Budapest, with at lead 3 viking ships docked there, The Legend, Magni & Skadi. Unfortunately, unless there is significant rain in the headwaters in Germany, low water and its associated problems tend to migrate their way downstream. Get those Bavarian rain dances going.

Alexandra,

I have been monitoring this thread and appreciate you giving first hand feedback like this. I'm not sure why you said you would not suggest it for first time river cruisers (my situation). You have done many cruises and seemed to rank it the highest. If not Scenic, then AMA? Uniworld? I like the sounds of all inclusive and real balconies.

I believe Alexandra means that the itinerary would not be her choice for a first time river cruiser. Alexandra cruised from Budapest to Bucharest as that was the only part of the Danube that she had not cruised.

She ranked Scenic highest of the cruise lines but was not impressed with the area that she cruised in.

Yes, that s right.Just not for first timers on that stretch of Danube.I knew what to expect,having read a lot of reviews of area.But quite a few newbies didn't think it was very scenic,towns not as pretty,cities big and not as impressive as say Paris.

The ship was great and really glad I upgraded to jr.balcony.Loved the perks.

So your choice for Scenic will be great.

PS.also some of the passengers had been on since Amsterdam.Many said it was a little too long.I prefer 2 wks.tops(inc.pre and post cities)esp.for newbie.Then not stuck if river crusing not your thing.Many think its like ocean ones,and then unhappy.Much smaller and low key.

Hi Alexandra, we have just received our paperwork for our cruise on Scenic Gem from Paris to Honfleur and back starting on 18th July. On th UK website and brochure this was shown as the second cruise we have now discovered that it is the first cruise. We chose the 2nd deliberately so the bugs could be ironed out but being on the 1st now is quite exciting. Scenic Gem is at the moment cruising back from Basel to Amsterdam evidently it then cruises to the North Sea were she will be taken under tow to the Seine she will now arrive a little late so we have our first night in a hotel instead of the boat. I will try to report from the boat if not will do full report when we get home.

Have still not heard from anyone else on the cruise.

Happy cruising all.

Will let you know about excursions. We have pre booked Versailles on our first day and the Normandy beaches later, just had to do that one as it's the 70th year. We also want to do the Somme, 100th this year, although in the paperwork we received with the tickets etc it does warn that it is a long journey and very emotional, Giverney is another must and will decide on the others as we cruise.

Cases sorted from the loft just got to finalise what to pack. Yippee

We are thinking about a seven day Danube Cruise (Nuremburg to Budapest), or possibly a 14 day cruise (Amsterdam to Budapest).

My impression of a typical day is:

morning tour 9 or 930 to 1130.

lunch

afternoon tour 2: 430

cocktails : 430 to 6

dinner 630 to730

possible evening entertainment.

Is that about right?

Is the boat usually docked during a tour or do you rejoin down the river?

Could I leave the boat and spend a day ashore privately and have a taxi take me to the next stop.

Edited by lpslps

On our cruise last year (Rhine from Amsterdam to Basel) we were sailing some days during the afternoon; some days the ship was docked while we were on tour, sometimes we took a bus tour to the next town and it met us there. Book it - you will enjoy it!

We are thinking about a seven day Danube Cruise (Nuremburg to Budapest), or possibly a 14 day cruise (Amsterdam to Budapest).

My impression of a typical day is:

morning tour 9 or 930 to 1130.

lunch

afternoon tour 2: 430

cocktails : 430 to 6

dinner 630 to730

possible evening entertainment.

Is that about right?

Is the boat usually docked during a tour or do you rejoin down the river?

Could I leave the boat and spend a day ashore privately and have a taxi take me to the next stop.

Your times seem pretty much on target with our experiences with a couple exceptions.

Many days just had a morning tour, afternoon on your own. You can maximize your time, and sample local specialities, by skipping lunch on board. Head off on you own, grab a meal in town and tour.

Similarly, you can stay on shore past the "cocktail hour." Just be certain of the all aboard time.

The boat rarely drops you one place and pick you up in another. When it does, you are free to make your way on your own. If you decide to do this, be certain of the times (on one of our trips the pick up stop was a very short one to pick up bus trippers) docking location and have the ship's telephone number. I recommend you talk to your cruise staff before doing this, you want to be certain your plan is doable.

You probably will spend closer to two hours at dinner.

We tend to head off on our own and skip lunch on board. We let our Program Director know our plans, sometimes you get great hints, and verify the time we need to be back.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Allexandra, will do a full review soon, but apart from not docking in Honfleur and spending one night in a Paris hotel the cruise was wonderful, the ship superb and the crew fantastic, restraunt staff attentive and very good at remembering your preferences, the bar staff execeptional very good martini' s and non-alcoholic cocktails they also remembered your preferences, our maid was brilliant and we did not use our butler for some reason, the cabin was as good as we have had a bit larger as we went for a deluxe balcony and it was worth it. The cruise director was not as good as we have had in the past but this was the first by Scenic on this route. I would say it was a busier cruise than we have had before but the variety of choice for excursions was good. A note for others Scenic does have tables for two in the dinning room and the chef caters extremely well for those with specific diatary needs and the food was very good along with the choice of wines.

There was also a special trip organised on the visit to the Normandy beaches day for one couple with a personal reason for going to the Canadian/British Cemertary. All in all a busy but special holiday.

Hi Allexandra, will do a full review soon, but apart from not docking in Honfleur and spending one night in a Paris hotel the cruise was wonderful, the ship superb and the crew fantastic, restraunt staff attentive and very good at remembering your preferences, the bar staff execeptional very good martini' s and non-alcoholic cocktails they also remembered your preferences, our maid was brilliant and we did not use our butler for some reason, the cabin was as good as we have had a bit larger as we went for a deluxe balcony and it was worth it. The cruise director was not as good as we have had in the past but this was the first by Scenic on this route. I would say it was a busier cruise than we have had before but the variety of choice for excursions was good. A note for others Scenic does have tables for two in the dinning room and the chef caters extremely well for those with specific diatary needs and the food was very good along with the choice of wines.

There was also a special trip organised on the visit to the Normandy beaches day for one couple with a personal reason for going to the Canadian/British Cemertary. All in all a busy but special holiday.

We are making our own way to to the ship as we are arriving by rail from Brugge. What area does the Gem berth in Paris?

May I offer some advice re docking space. To be on safe side,and learn from my past experience.DO CONTACT river company directly for latest info and get your ships phone number.These things can change at last minute and I almost missed a ship because of it.Get specifics,not general dock info.It can be VERY confusing.

Have fun and let us know all the details.

Please post your fantastic review of Scenic Gem northern France review here.

Also, maybe a host can figure out why the Gem is not listed for her to post under member review section of Scenic?

The review is under Scenic roll call section.

There are so few current reviews.lets not get this one lost.

Scenic Gem – Gems of the Seine 1st French Cruise

Day 1 – We travelled to Paris by Eurostar and were collected by car from directly opposite the main entrance of the Gar de Nord along with four other passengers and transferred to the Hotel Scribe where we had been previously informed that we were to stay for one night as the ship would not be ready for us. As we booked in we were told that a provisional booking had been made for another night in case the ship was still not ready, not good. We were also handed a letter by the Scenic representatives there to say that we would not be docking in Honfleur as promised but in Le Havre, why was I not surprised. Our room was typical of a Paris hotel trying to be 5* compact and bijou. Before dinner we had what I suppose could be called a port talk with a difference firstly by one of the Senior Scenic executives from their Swiss office, basically he explained the transporting or towing of Scenic Gem from Holland to France, very interesting and the returning the ship to cruise status from being marinised was the reason for the only one (yippee) night in the hotel and that it was French bureaucracy that meant the change of dock, not a surprise. If any of you are interested in watching where your cruise ship is on Marine Traffic it was obvious that things were not as they should be. Although the Dutch authorities had stipulated a top speed of 7 knots the Gem had been towed at times at 9 knots due we told of the calm (for once) waters of the Channel. It was good that a senior person in the organisation conveyed these messages and did not leave it to someone lower down in the pecking order as it were, it put me in a much better mood and so decided this was my holiday and I intended to enjoy it, which I did, very much so.

Day 2 – Straight from the hotel we went on our first excursion our cases were taken straight to the ship which was moored at Port de Javel Bas about 2 miles from the Eiffel tower about 9 minutes drive depending on Paris traffic. Our choice was Versailles, it was very hot and I had been a bit concerned that being a Saturday and holiday time it would be crowded yes it was but going in by the group entrance and after a quirky start our tour guide who was very good we were fine he managed to steer us through with only a couple of traffic jams of the people variety. Then straight to the ship were we got our bearings and unpacked the Gem is lovely our cabin superb and another surprise we went on a glass topped river boat for dinner whilst cruising the Seine, I expect to give the chef and his team a bit more time to sort themselves out but nevertheless a good experience, back to the ship to sample the bar several of us stayed up late as we cruised out of Paris. The bar staff are excellent dry martinis superb and I noticed they had the brand of dry sherry I prefer (never seen it on other Scenic ships) the barman said do you prefer it chilled as I do he immediately placed a bottle in the fridge, set up for my aperitif for the rest of the cruise.

Day 3 – Les Andelys we chose the tour to Lyons la Foret a pretty little village and the cider tasting. Well the tasting or should I say the tour of the orchard was such good fun we were the second group to tour the orchard after first seeing the cider vats etc. the weather became a little over cast as we went out to the two trailers being towed behind a very ancient tractor sitting back to back and after ascertaining that the tractor was a 50 year old Massy of we set as the rain started I must say the weather was very hot and humid and got wetter huge drops of rain fell as we got faster and faster, it was the fastest tour of an orchard ever everyone laughing as our tour guide Ann Marie (more of her later) tried to explain things through our Taylor made devices what eventually cracked us all up was ‘the taller trees are so that the cows can graze under them and the shorter ones they cannot’ I think it lost a little in the translation. On our speedy return to the tasting barn all of the Scenic staff, guides, cruise director and a couple of others were so concerned that we had got cold etc., but no it was so hot we were already drying off had never been in any danger and were still laughing. On our return to the ship we were handed warm towels and a hot drink a really nice thought but not necessary a short stop at the bar for a coffee or other libation was all that was needed. The group that went to Castle Galliard had a rare treat as there was a re-enactment group at the castle, swords, long-bows and costumes. Six of us at dinner this evening decided to book La Amour

Day 4 – Rouen, we chose the walking tour, note if you are there on a Monday morning the Cathedral is closed for cleaning but as we were moored so close a quick walk in the afternoon would work. Our tour guide was Ann Marie she was delightful a bit of an air head if you can say that about someone who speaks English so well very talkative and always concerned for your welfare pointing out dodgy walking areas steps etc and if she has lost anyone, she didn’t. We learnt so much about the history and everything else about Rouen we nearly went into overload but it was very interesting and done in an exceptional way. The group that went to the pastry institute had a wonderful time and came away with recipes and very sweet teeth. In the afternoon we snoozed on the sun deck apart from the evening our first down time.

Day 5 – Our rest the day before was a good idea as we had chosen the trip to the Somme for our excursion today, in the paperwork we received before the cruise Scenic had warned us that this would be a long day we left early 8.00 and it was quite a coach journey we had all been given poppies to place on graves if we wished, a few people who did not want to do the trip asked me to place poppies for them (so very, very moving). We first went to the National Australian Memorial in Villers-Bretoneaux the day was overcast which made it even more thought provoking it is higher than the surrounding area and I suppose because of the weather very bleak. We then went to a nearby school that is supported by and Australian State (sorry cannot remember which one) here there is a very good museum, note go to the end of the museum first as there is a continuous film running I only managed to see a bit as I had run out of time but those who saw it said it was very good. We then went for lunch at an excellent restaurant 3 course typical French, some complained that it was to long and could have been shorter maybe a buffet, I suppose it did make the day longer. We then went to Thiepval the British/French Memorial what a place it was designed by Lutyens it sits on a hill and is there as if he meant it never to move. Again poppies it was very difficult to keep a stiff upper lip at both of these places but I am so glad I went.

Day 6 – Cruise to Le Havre when we reached the Pont de Tancarville we left the Seine and onto a canal as we entered the last lock before mooring up the upper gate failed the weather was very good the cruise director (more of her later) announced that if they could not fix it in time the buses would pick us up from the lock side so and interested large group of passengers gathered on the foredeck liberally supplied with libations from the excellent bar staff to watch operations, soon a group of maintenance staff arrived to decide what was wrong along with our French captain ( we seemed to have two the other was Dutch and much more in tune with the passengers) and as the road across the lock was closed with the traffic diverted, on the other side a group of French police. I just thought it serves the French right for not letting us dock in Honfleur. Well after much discussion and disappearing down holes they found that a steel hawser had broken, it took about two hours but it got mended to cheers from the passenger audience, bowing from the maintenance crew and smiles! from the police we then proceeded around the corner to our docking position. Then our excursion to Honfleur beautiful a hot day an excellent guide a cider by the inner harbour to watch the world go by the only thing to have been better was to have docked there. It was about half an hour by bus and as we went over the Pont de Normandy and the Seine estuary it brought home what we had missed, although I am still having a really good time. Scenic put on a coach for anyone who wanted to return to Honfleur in the evening but as there was a really excellent swing band on board we decided not to go. By the way Le Havre has certainly cleaned up since I was last there.

Day 7 – Normandy beaches day, another early start, as we weren’t in Honfleur made an hour longer. I hope that this day will be sorted by the time anyone else does the trip and that they learn. Buses on route do a slow pass by some of the beaches not good if you’re on the other side of the bus. We got to Arromanches to see the museum which was a bit of a farce the organisation could have been much better but the film about the Mulberry Harbours was fascinating we had quite a bit of free time there a we bit to much I think. Then onto Pont de Hoc, note if you are a little unsafe on your pins or the weather is a tad inclement be careful, it is very interesting but very exposed. Then onto lunch another excellent restaurant and typical 3 course meal, one lovely surprise a couple, Canadian had an very good reason to visit the British/Canadian Cemetery and we had not seen them all morning but they joined us for lunch Scenic had taken them there by taxi, wonderful. We then went to the American Cemetery, large, immaculate and very moving there was a veteran there with a huge audience of youngsters hanging on to his every word. I must say though the facilities there left an awful lot to be desired. At this point I would like to say that I wish Scenic had looked at the demographic of their customers there were four Americans in this cruise out of 110 mostly Australians and Canadians with about 20 British, changing the places visited would not have taken a lot of work and I was told the only reason we went to the American Cemetery was because it was the largest also I think because Scenic is pushing in the USA don’t get me wrong I still placed 6 poppies and took pictures of each one I placed. By the time we reached the ship there was no time to change for dinner but as most of us had the same problem it did not matter.

Day 8 – Caudebec-en-Caux we chose to visit the textile museum at Bolbec went to find the bus and found we were the only two going evidently two others were and changed their mind (was it something we said?). So us two, Ann Marie our guide and the Scenic trainee cruise director plus driver in a Mercedes set off. If you’re interested in old machinery and textiles do go it was a fascinating experience some of the machinery was from the late 1800s and still working. In the afternoon we cruised to Vernon and Ann Marie explained all about the Normandy farming and way of life which again I was unsure of but turned out to be quite interesting and absorbing. I must point out that our American contingent did not seem to mix very well at all and kept themselves to themselves but during the talk one of them decided to take a business call at the back of the lounge, now we all know that he does not trust someone etc it took a wonderful Australian to point out to him the error of his ways, politely and he removed himself.

Day 9 – Vernon another early start but not to far to go as we chose Giverney, I had thought again, the time of year and a Saturday would make for large crowds but getting to Monet’s house early ensured a quite time to start and even pictures of that bridge with no one in the frame. It was beautiful the gardens and the house no wonder he was inspired. When we left the line waiting was quite long after a few of us had a coffee at our leisure we returned to the ship to prepare for the evening concert. Another slight hiccup with the bus as we sailed passed the entrance so had to find a turn and make our way back, talk about tight squeeze, not much gap between bus and gate posts but we made it without a scratch. Nibbles and bubbly on the terrace of the slightly run down Chateaux to start then a excellent string quartet, they played all well known classics a foot tapping hand clapping time in a very hot elegant room was over to soon. so another squeeze through the gates and back to the ship, quite a few people dressed up a tad and most of the men who wore sports jackets removed them because of the heat.

Day 10 – Conflans we chose to go to Auvers-sur-Oise, Van Gogh’s last home. Here is one of the reasons we did not think our Cruise director was nearly as good as the ones we have had before. At the previous nights port talk she waxed lyrical about Chantilly castle and then said that on the Van Gogh trip we would only see his small room with nothing in it, 30 people booked for this visit and only 15 went including her. The trip was superb our guide was very good and her English and knowledge excellent. we first went to see a marvellous statue of the man himself then to the church that he painted on to the fields where he took his life and to the cemetery where he is buried next to his brother. We then went to the restaurant where he had a room but before seeing it there is an excellent film about him which goes a long way to explaining his troubled mind and life something not to be missed we then looked at his room on its own nothing at all but when you know the background, everything. After we had a wonder round, there are interpretive boards around the village by the sites that he painted with an image of the painting included. We had a beer and then back to the bus where everyone asked our Cruise Director whether she had changed her mind or not, she actually admitted that she had and would now recommend the excursion. this evening we cruised into Paris whilst having the farewell dinner and as we did not have a crew show we had a crew disco, not that interesting but it was a bit of fun guessing who was dressed up, they did look so different out of uniform.

Day 11 – Return home by Eurostar the station was very busy but as the previous day the Tour de France ended in Paris it was not a surprise.

During the cruise the hotel manager did a lesson in napkin folding and Crepe Suzette making he has excellent presentation skills and his staff could not be faulted, I thought I had seen every form of towel figures but never expected ET on the bed. Our cabin was serviced at least twice a day and there was never anything that was not replaced. The food was excellent there was only one meat at a meal I was not happy with and they changed it immediately, the choice of wine was quite varied and not only French the attention of the staff at all meals was unobtrusive but professional you could always catch someone’s eye if required, non of this of its not my table. The bar staff went above and beyond to the extent that I had to take a photograph of one member as one of our new friends said if she couldn’t put him in her handbag she must have a picture, duly sent. Even the maritime crew surpassed those on other cruises as the language skills seemed to be a bit better in fact one of them who had previously been on the southern France cruise waxed so lyrical about it we decided to book for next year. The only niggle was that this was an all inclusive cruise and the night and food in the hotel although of course paid for by Scenic anything extra was not but again Scenic came up trumps and this hiccup has been fully resolved. Regardless of the challenges thrown up by a first cruise we really enjoyed ourselves.

With your paperwork you receive a map of the Seine and in your cabin is a book with all the places explained that Scenic visit in France great reading.

Sorry this is so long but so much to say also Scenic Gem is not listed in the Scenic list for the review board so could not post it there.

The bus trip there took a little over one & a half hours made easier by our trip guide who explained about the areas we were passing through, the weather was overcast and the scenery very rural typical Northern France countryside with smaller cemetery's and other notable spots pointed out as we drove. It does give a good in-site into what the guys faced 100 years ago. We returned to the ship with just enough time to change for dinner but it was tight.