Anyone on or just off a Scenic cruise this yr?

We did talk tone passenger who ordered room service breakfast,he said the eggs were cold by the time they received them. Might have just been a bad day. The only part of the cruise we were a bit disappointed in were some of the cocktails,the martinis were great,but others not so much may have had the worst piña Colada ever. The room mini bar is always well stocked . I will add more tips when I think of them,or feel free to ask away. Have a great cruise

Just got my new full brochure from Scenic.SO many great new places to see.

Surprised at how some of the itinerary has changed.For instance,one I m taking in 2 wks.has dropped Transylvania and Constanta.Seeing Dracula s castle and viewing Black Sea 2 of the main reasons I booked it.

Wonder why?Not too popular,political probs in region,will never know for sure it seems.Will ask on this one.Glad I booked NOW.

Bordeaux and N.France also look good next yr.(booked May 28 on that one then).:)

Can anyone fill me in on the holding room at the Marriott Budapest. Our Flight arrives at 10:30 and we have a transport to Marriott prior to the embark at 3:00. Is the room secure? Can we store our bags? and walk about the town? Anyone know what this holding room is all about please.....

I suspect it's very much the same as what we experienced in Amsterdam last year while awaiting transport to our Scenic ship. You bring your bags, check in and then your bags are taken from you and next time you see them is onboard the ship in your room. They had coffee, juices, snacks available for those waiting. Once the ship is ready for boarding, they put you on buses and take you to the ship.

I suspect it's very much the same as what we experienced in Amsterdam last year while awaiting transport to our Scenic ship. You bring your bags, check in and then your bags are taken from you and next time you see them is onboard the ship in your room. They had coffee, juices, snacks available for those waiting. Once the ship is ready for boarding, they put you on buses and take you to the ship.

Are you expected to stay in the wait room? or can you wander about the city and come back?

Just finished, this week, a Danube river cruise from Budapest to Germany. We had terrific weather and it really makes a difference. Here are my quick tips: get off the ship and spend time in the towns; if in Vienna go see an opera at the State Opera House even if you're not into opera; take a bike ride offered by most ships; spend a lot of time on the top sun deck the view is incredible. Drink the local beers!

Just finished, this week, a Danube river cruise from Budapest to Germany. We had terrific weather and it really makes a difference. Here are my quick tips: get off the ship and spend time in the towns; if in Vienna go see an opera at the State Opera House even if you're not into opera; take a bike ride offered by most ships; spend a lot of time on the top sun deck the view is incredible. Drink the local beers!

We get on in just a couple of days. Thanks for the tips. We will be sure to drink beer, ride a bike and sit on top and watch the castle go by......I am so excited!!

We just had a cruise on Scenic Gem from Basel to Amsterdam which finished last Wednesday, May 28th. The ship is lovely, but as it is so new, and probably the crew are too, there were a few problems.

You have a choice of table at dinner, but no choice of time. Our "private" grumpy, no-personality butler told us you have to be there at 7 p.m. or you may not get your appetizer as the courses are served in order all at the same time. The service is terribly slow - I don't consider 2-1/2 hours for a normal dinner to be great! You spend a lot of time waiting and the food is only mediocre - nothing special and not always hot! Their excuse was they have a small kitchen! The Table la Rive degustation dinner was wonderful though - you expect that one to take a long time. Dinner at Portobello had better food but still took up the major part of the evening! Our grumpy butler was a server and apparently just as grumpy in that job.

Ask for a tutorial on the shower - it is obviously brand new and quite complicated.

Hopefully by the time of your cruise they will have helmets to go with the bikes (as stated in their literature) - they forgot to load them on our cruise!! Not good from a safety perspective. Also, the bikes are a little touchy in accelerating so be careful after stopping -especially if you are at a traffic light!

Lunch at the River Café near the bow is nicer than in the formal dining room - you can take your food out on the bow deck if the weather is nice. A limited selection but great salad bar and usually a pasta and another hot plate, good soup, and a selection of desserts.

At breakfast, it is mostly buffet, but there are items on the menu which can be ordered directly from the kitchen - some people didn't realize this.

We have travelled on AMA as well and it seems just that bit better - even without all-inclusive drinks!

We usually take cruises on Windstar - quite a cut above Scenic - but obviously a different kind of cruising!

Are you saying that on AMA there is more than one sitting for dinner?

It doesn't mention that on the website.

No, AMA (like most river cruise ships) has one seating for dinner. I think smallshiprider was referring to the overall experience (of the food, or of the cruise).

Hi Smallshiprider, we are on Scenic Gem for its second Seine cruise, hope we don't get your butler, though I am surprised have never come across a grumpy crew member before, occasionally miffed may be. Also I quite like a long relaxed dinner especially in good company but of course not cold food.

A few questions if I may - are the windows to the balcony sliding or folding? In what way was the shower challenging? What kind of suite did you have and was it on the Diamond deck?

Thank you for your review.

Will write a review on our return so you can check if anything has changed as everything settles down.

Are you saying that on AMA there is more than one sitting for dinner?

It doesn't mention that on the website.

It's not that there is more than one sitting - it is that you are free to go to dinner at whatever time during dining room hours - we usually went between 7 and 7:30 anyway, but others showed up later and still got fed.

Scenic didn't show the dining information in their brochure either.

Hi Smallshiprider, we are on Scenic Gem for its second Seine cruise, hope we don't get your butler, though I am surprised have never come across a grumpy crew member before, occasionally miffed may be. Also I quite like a long relaxed dinner especially in good company but of course not cold food.

A few questions if I may - are the windows to the balcony sliding or folding? In what way was the shower challenging? What kind of suite did you have and was it on the Diamond deck?

Thank you for your review.

Will write a review on our return so you can check if anything has changed as everything settles down.

The windows to the balcony are sliding with one that can be left open at the right hand side (in our room at least) so you are not constantly opening and closing them. This can be done because of the powered glass that raises to close off the balcony at the railing - so you can still sit on the balcony when it is raining.

We had a private deluxe balcony suite on the Danube deck. The showers are obviously the latest thing and have about six different settings including different colours shining through the water - some people said that their butler gave them guidance on how to use it - not ours (he was too busy giving us the rules that must be followed!). Other people also mentioned that when they went to the Portobello restaurant, after one course they had put several plates on top of each other (easier for the server, no?) but he angrily told them that was his job and to leave them alone!

Often in the morning some of the servers had hangovers as well so were not very happy - too much drinking of the wine left in the bottles at night!

We don't mind a relaxed dinner either but when you are in a port and thinking of a walk after dinner, having dinner not end till after 9:30 a.m. is a bit annoying.

Personally I pretty sure I would not put up with that kind of attitude and would have tried to do something about it. Thanks for the info, so they have not changed the doors as they seem to have on the new Opal for instance. Having traveled before on Scenic I have never had a Butler dish out rules make suggestions yes and be extremely helpful but not be dictatorial. The showers sound interesting to say the least. In the small print of the brochure it does say dining single with open seating, we found that some servers were more commpitant than others so chose our seats accordingly. If you find the website of the company that seems to supply the majority of river cruise staff I am sure that drinking to excess or showing signs of overindulgence was a sackable offence cannot think of the site now.

Wow, does not sound great.Hope ours next week is much improved.Not on Gem and hope its just because its NEW?

Hope you complained about the problems so that they can be fixed,,,hopefully.

Not surprised about dinner times, in 11 river cruises always preferred you get there at 7 or near(even 2 AMA s I ve been one).Dinners ALWAYS tend to be slow,but usually pretty good(and hot,of course).

You had a typo above,said 9 30 AM not PM.Wow,must have FELT that long?haha

When you PAY for luxury,5 star you tend to EXPECT it,I agree.This will be my first Scenic,and hopefully NOT my last.(as I put a deposit down for the Gem next May,but if not up to par ,,,will cancel.

We never had any problem with the food being cold when on the jade last month. Our balconey windows were the kind that slide down then folded so the whole room was exposed. as for the shower the lights can be left off, and found it easy to operate. as for 5 star , who decides what is 5 star and what is the standard for it. myself i am not a gourmet or wine expert but i found all food and wine excellent to me,maybe others will not? our service was great some wait staff are better then others of course,but none were terrible or showed signs of being hungover. As for the butler, besides him explaining things in the room we never used him we just went and got coffee or drinks ourself. Like all the other staff always greeted us warmly and politely ,with a smile.

Other people also mentioned that when they went to the Portobello restaurant, after one course they had put several plates on top of each other (easier for the server, no?) but he angrily told them that was his job and to leave them alone!

Stacking plates is a huge no, no at any restaurant. Contrary to what everyone thinks, it is not easier for the server as they are trained to remove in a certain order. However, it wasn't proper for the waiter to react that way.

...You have a choice of table at dinner, but no choice of time. Our "private" grumpy, no-personality butler told us you have to be there at 7 p.m. or you may not get your appetizer as the courses are served in order all at the same time. ...

That's different than what a Scenic regional sales manager said during a TA presentation webinar. He indicated that it's "not a cattle call", and you can show up anytime during the dining hours. Listen at time 17:40 in this link:

But he did not exactly say that you would get all courses if coming later.

I hope our upcoming Sept. experience on the Jade is better.

Edited by AZCruiserguy

Consider this scenario a full compliment of passengers arrive in the dinning room at the appointed hour! How long would dinner take then? All 126 guests making their choices for all courses then deciding which wine to try first. I think this butler was very new or he was trying put a spanner in the works. My other half feels sure that his antics would have been noticed and steps taken to rectify the situation especially if the hotel manager was worth his salt.

Okay the later you arrive may make your preferred seat more difficult to find but hey oh you could find some new friends.

As dinner in the Crystal dinning room and Portabello's is river cruising's version of silver service than plate stacking could be considered a no, no.

As Gem is smaller than most other river cruise ships is the difference noticeable and was the cruise director on the ball?

I wonder when Gem is being transferred to the Saine?

Happy cruising all.

We are, or were, just about to book the Scenic Ruby for the 1st July 2015 Amsterdam to Budapest. It is our first River cruise and the intention is to book early as there seem to be some offers about. We chose Scenic as it seemed to be of good quality and calls:confused: at Rudesheim on the 4th July, hopefully to coincide with the "Rhine on Fire" celebrations. However I have now read some awful reviews of the line on TA as well as some Australian sites. Normally I would discount a few bad reviews amongst many as they can be down to personal experience but in this instance there are too many to simply ignore. There are 3 or 4 alternatives but my wife would really like to be in Rudesheim on the 4th. Any info based on experience of this and alternatives would be most welcome.