Question for veteran Alaskan cruisers

Kowale

I am taking my first cruise to Alaska on the Radiance OTS inJune 2018 and will be visiting Ketchikan, Icy Straight Point, Juneau, Skagway,and Seward. What do you suggest as a “must-do” excursion in each of theseports?

I am taking my first cruise to Alaska on the Radiance OTS inJune 2018 and will be visiting Ketchikan, Icy Straight Point, Juneau, Skagway,and Seward. What do you suggest as a “must-do” excursion in each of theseports?

There is a wealth of info in the Alaska port of call forum: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55

I can see where this is going and perhaps I need to clarify...

I did check out the ports of call forum and there are tons of descriptions of exciting tours, but the pat answer seems to be "it all depends on what interests you." That is the problem. It ALL interests me!

What I am saying is, if you had to pick the ONE thing that you have done before and would definitely do again, what would it be? For instance, we have heard from multiple friends that the Mendenhall Ice Cave Adventure is the greatest, most awesome, incredible, once-in-a-lifetime experience. So that is the general consensus for Juneau.

I was born and raised in Alaska (I'm a third generation). There are a lot of things to do in each port and since I've been numerous times, I always seem to take advantage of a different excursion.

Anyway, here are some of MY favorite things:

Ketchikan - Saxman Native Village or kayaking and chocolates at Ketchi Candies

Icy Straight Point - I believe here you're just cruising - no stops

Juneau - Mendenhall Glacier or Mount Roberts Tramway and a drink/food at Red Dog Saloon

Skagway - White Pass Rail and a drink/food at Red Onion Saloon

Seward- Alaska SeaLife Center and a meal at Ray's Waterfront

I included food stops, because, well...that's always important too! ;)

I can see where this is going and perhaps I need to clarify...

I did check out the ports of call forum and there are tons of descriptions of exciting tours, but the pat answer seems to be "it all depends on what interests you." That is the problem. It ALL interests me!

What I am saying is, if you had to pick the ONE thing that you have done before and would definitely do again, what would it be? For instance, we have heard from multiple friends that the Mendenhall Ice Cave Adventure is the greatest, most awesome, incredible, once-in-a-lifetime experience. So that is the general consensus for Juneau.

My favorites of the ports I've visited that are on your itinerary:

Ketchikan - Misty Fijords by boat

Skagway - Yukon and White Pass RR

Juneau - Mt. Roberts Tram

Roz

In Ketchikan we have enjoyed going Salmon Fishing.

In Juneau we have enjoyed visiting Mendenhall Glacier or going on a small vessel seeing whales. Time permitting there are some museums to visit in the city.

If you like to walk in Seward we enjoyed walking along the water into town and visiting the Sea Life Center. We will walk the town afterwards and walk back to the pier on a different route.

Keith

Icy Straight Point -- have been here a few times. You anchor here and take tenders to shore. We have done the whale watching excursion a couple of times and loved it. Saw lots of whales. We also took the bus into Hoonah.

Juneau -- flight seeing over the glaciers -- either by helicopter or float plane. You can also take the Blue Bus out to Mendenhal Glacier and walk the trails. This bus takes you right to the Visitor's Center -- the city bus drops you off way down the road from the Glacier. There is also Mount Robert's Tram -- you can buy the tickets the day you get there.

Skagway -- take the White Pass & Yukon train -- beautiful scenery. You are usually here for quite a few hours so you will have time to walk around the town.

Ketchikan -- Saxman Village, Totem Bight -- great tours. You can also walk to Creek Street -- take the tram to the top. Stop by Dolly's House.