steveaaaaaaaaa... John's response

*Mach*

John answered your question today:

steveaaaaa Asked:

John, please reply.

A recent blog posting of yours ended up on cruise critic and it was still not clear to some of us and I am hoping you could end a long running debate regarding auto-tips.

The CCL website states…

For your convenience, we automatically charge the gratuities for dining and stateroom staff to your onboard Sail & Sign account. The total amount is $10.00 per guest, per day (our recommended guideline) as follows:

$ 3.50 per Day Stateroom Services

$ 5.50 per Day Dining Room Services

So my question/s is…….At the end of the cruise using the auto-tip method from my Amex credit card, does the room steward get the whole $3.50 per day per person and does my waiter and the assistant waiter get the whole $5.50? Because your website uses the terms “Housekeeping services” and “Dining room services” and not the term “room steward” and waiter/asst. waiter respectively.

So, are deductions for the fees associated with an Amex card or other credit card deducted from the auto-tip and whether there are floor supervisors or chief housekeepers, ECT also getting a small percentage from the $10 per day?

Thank you in advance

Steve

John Says:

Hello Steve

Sorry if I was not clear in my earlier answer but I will try to be this time. The tipping amounts of $3.50 and $ 5.50 per day per person are paid 100% with no deductions only to the service staff and not in any way shape or form to supervisors, management or anyone else at Carnival. Any fees associated with using Amex or another credit card are enveloped by the company and not deducted at all from the service staffs gratuities. What you kindly pay is what they receive…….the end.

I hope this clarifies your concerns but if not please let me know and I will be happy to help in anyway I can. My apologies for not being clear before.

Best wishes

John

And so we have the answer... the tips go 100% to those who so well deserve them!! Good news!!

Yes and no? I think Steve asked how much does the cabin steward get of the $3.50 and john answered, its all paid to the "service staff", so we dont know how its broken down?

I did assume that was the case when I had trouble getting my cabin cleaned, so I didnt change my tip because I knew it didnt all go to the cabin steward who was the one screwing up and the one I was talking to, didnt want his helpers to suffer.

This doesnt say how much goes to the cabin steward in particular.

....are paid 100% with no deductions only to the service staff

Yes and no? I think Steve asked how much does the cabin steward get of the $3.50 and john answered, its all paid to the "service staff", so we dont know how its broken down?

I did assume that was the case when I had trouble getting my cabin cleaned, so I didnt change my tip because I knew it didnt all go to the cabin steward who was the one screwing up and the one I was talking to, didnt want his helpers to suffer.

This doesnt say how much goes to the cabin steward in particular.

I asked this question once of a cabin steward and was told that she got $2.50 and $1.00 went to her assistant but it was up to them how much to share with the assistant...

Now, this apparently isn't written in stone or is an official policy... it was just what I was told.

:)

Wow.... such micro managing of this gratuity topic, i.e who exactly gets what and how much, etc....... amazing ! :rolleyes:

There are so many people behind the scenes we are not in contact with that may be getting a small portion of this, and maybe not. It's their money to distribute as warranted or required by their contract. As long as the cruiseline is not gaining profits from it, it really makes no difference at all to me.

Wow.... such micro managing of this gratuity topic, i.e who exactly gets what and how much, etc....... amazing ! :rolleyes:

There are so many people behind the scenes we are not in contact with that may be getting a small portion of this, and maybe not. It's their money to distribute as warranted or required by their contract. As long as the cruiseline is not gaining profits from it, it really makes no difference at all to me.

And it should be no ones business. I would never go on a cruiseship and ask anyone, staff or guest how much they made.

All I gotta say is, thank God I am not married to Steveaaaaaaaa. That kind of micromanaging would drive me out of my mind :eek:

I didnt read it all. I think you all are jumping to the wrong conclusions though. Seems like some wanted to remove tips because they thought that Carnival was taking a cut of the automatic tips and Steve and some were on Carnival's side and trying to find a way to prove to them that Carnival was not taking a cut of the tips, they were all going to the workers.

Steve was FOR keeping the auto tips in place and not removing them.

And it should be no ones business. I would never go on a cruiseship and ask anyone, staff or guest how much they made.

I aggree.... How much did you tip ? How much was your S & S Bill.... Did you get cheap airfare ? Did your TA send you a gift ? How much OBC do you have ? How much did you pay for your cruise ??? :D

NONE OF MY BUSINESS !!! :eek::eek::eek:

I aggree.... How much did you tip ? How much was your S & S Bill.... Did you get cheap airfare ? Did your TA send you a gift ? How much OBC do you have ? How much did you pay for your cruise ??? :D

NONE OF MY BUSINESS !!! :eek::eek::eek:

This is not about that at all.......you had to be following Mach's and Steves threads..........

I didnt read it all. I think you all are jumping to the wrong conclusions though. Seems like some wanted to remove tips because they thought that Carnival was taking a cut of the automatic tips and Steve and some were on Carnival's side and trying to find a way to prove to them that Carnival was not taking a cut of the tips, they were all going to the workers.

Never accused him of wanting them removed.... I merely said why such micro mangement of who get's what.... if a passenger wants to know this answer regarding who gets what, let them go and get their answer themselves !

Seems like you and I cannot just agree on anything lately :rolleyes::eek:

No worries.... Enjoy all your cruises the way you see fit !

All I gotta say is, thank God I am not married to Steveaaaaaaaa. That kind of micromanaging would drive me out of my mind :eek:

Now, c'mon... this is not a bash Steveaaaa thread. I saw John's response in the blog and I know that Steve does not read it frequently. He's told us that.

I wanted to make sure that Steve saw the answer regarding any credit card fees that may be associated with a tip done via credit card.

I know this entire thing has gotten very granular but we now have a question asked answered!!!

Oh, I'm aware, firefly!! I've been following the never-ending thread. What came across loud and clear in Steveaaaaaaaaa's posts was that he wanted an accountability down to the last microcent. I have to assume that if Carnival was taking a cut of that money (especially a high enough percentage to make a difference) there would not be long term employees on board. My last steward had been with Carnival 6 years and my waiter had been with them 7 years. Before that, I'd had a waiter on the Fascination that had been with them for 10 years. Logic tells you that they are not getting screwed over as Steve wanted to prove to the last microcent. And even so, life is just too short to worry about microcents, IMHO. Again, am very grateful that Steveaaaaaaaa has a wife other than Vanessa L :D

Now, c'mon... this is not a bash Steveaaaa thread. I saw John's response in the blog and I know that Steve does not read it frequently. He's told us that.

I wanted to make sure that Steve saw the answer regarding any credit card fees that may be associated with a tip done via credit card.

I know this entire thing has gotten very granular but we now have a question asked answered!!!

Not a bash, Mach (and btw, thanks for clearing this up!). Just very glad that I don't live my life in micro minutes. He can live however he wants. :)

Now, can we find out how many 20's, 10's, 5's, 1's, and all coin denominations go to each of the tippees, and on what day at what hour, in what size envelope, faced up or down? :eek:

He is probably equally as glad.

What is the problem with him wanting to know the real truth? No one seems to have a problem with the lies that are told over and over as gospel.

If I ask you "how you are" and you answer "I like bacon and eggs", well that is probably true, but you did not answer my question.

And while I do not think it is intentional, I think that is how John is answering some of the questions. He is answering truthful, just not answering the question asked.

Never accused him of wanting them removed.... I merely said why such micro mangement of who get's what.... if a passenger wants to know this answer regarding who gets what, let them go and get their answer themselves !

I never said you did say that..... please reread. I said SOME wanted to remove the autotips. How did you go from that to I thought you were one who said it.

I knew tipping was a hot button topic, but geez. It does seem like folks are getting carried away to me here. Lets not put words in people's mouths that arent being said.

I know now why I read a few tipping posts and get disgusted and move on and dont go back.

Now, can we find out how many 20's, 10's, 5's, 1's, and all coin denominations go to each of the tippees, and on what day at what hour, in what size envelope, faced up or down? :eek:

coins? :eek: now you are baiting people Pete...LOL :p:D

Well I can not speak for Steveaaaa, but as for me, if I hand my server a tip what happens to that tip after it leaves my hand, I have no control over. BUT, if the "boss" of where ever I am wants me to give him the whole amount so he can pass it out as he sees fit, then I do want to know EXACTLY where that tip is going.

Because at that point, what he (the boss) thinks is appropriate division of the money may not be what I (the tipper) feels is appropriate.

When "the boss" decides how my tip money is spread out, then I have a right to know is anything taken off the top for "processing fee", is it being split with people I have no interest in tipping, and other things. If I have decided to reward my server with $3.50 for his good job serving me, then I expect him to get $3.50 no matter who is passing the tip out.

I asked this question once of a cabin steward and was told that she got $2.50 and $1.00 went to her assistant but it was up to them how much to share with the assistant...

Now, this apparently isn't written in stone or is an official policy... it was just what I was told.

Thanks Mach!

This is very similar to what waiters do here in land based restaurants. That $5 you gave the waitress? Chances are she has to take a portion of it and share with any number of people including the bartender, busboy, hostess, food runner, expediter, etc.

No one is worried about that when they eat out and leave a tip here! Not sure why there is such concern on a ship. :confused:

Does it matter???? :confused:

As a side note, I seriously doubt (despite John or Mach's 'efforts') that those that have issue with the auto tip will change their tune.

As a side note, I seriously doubt (despite John or Mach's 'efforts') that those that have issue with the auto tip will change their tune.

Sure does not matter in my eyes and I think you said it best... Those that have issues with the auto tip are going to probably keep their stance on this topic and tip as they feel appropriate..... Makes sense to me.

I disagree. Steve was searching for an answer to a question that has plagued this site over and over. I, quite frankly, appreciate his initiative...thanks Steve!!;)

BTW, would you mind his micromanaging...as your husband...if he ensured that he bought you the highest-quality diamond tennis bracelet possible.

Doesnt matter to me. I have never removed auto tips as I have said, not even when it might have been warranted with poor service. I never said I cared either. I was just saying that I dont think John answered the question of who gets what, only that "service staff" gets it. I was replying to how John answered the question, not that I care one whit.

Since Im one who doesnt care, not sure why you quoted me either?? ... and then asked me in particular if it matters .... nope, not to me.

Not to me. It's $10.00 per day...chicken feed. Let's CRUISE:D

Archived