CC Guest Book Missing QM2

hcrane

Cruise Critic guest book missing on QM2:eek:

Read that the guest book has disappeared - should we investigate getting a new one?

Maybe someone has a guest book laying about that has not been used?

Read that the guest book has disappeared - should we investigate getting a new one?

Missing guest book? :eek:Sounds like a case for Inspector Dim of the Yard!

Hcrane, please forgive my ignorance, but I haven't heard about a Cruise Critic guest book on QM2 prior to your post. Any background info would be appreciated. Thanks. -Salacia

Where did you read it had disappeared??

Oh my.. I just had a thought...........the Sep 3 Canada/New England sailing???????

The Guest Book was kept behind the librarian's desk. We would reclaim the book and pass it around for signing at our get-togethers.

Oh my.. I just had a thought...........the Sep 3 Canada/New England sailing???????

The Guest Book was kept behind the librarian's desk. We would reclaim the book and pass it around for signing at our get-togethers.

In that case, any member who signs the Guest Book with their forename and surname is fairly easily identified and located by anyone who views the Guest Book. Hopefully, members are security-conscious enough to sign with their on-screen name only.

I seem to recall, a woman on CC named Sylvia would routinely remind us to sign the book. Her avitar or signature was a cat.

I've signed it three times. I'll miss it :(. I loved reading other cc members' thoughts.

I seem to recall, a woman on CC named Sylvia would routinely remind us to sign the book. Her avitar or signature was a cat.

I've signed it three times. I'll miss it :(. I loved reading other cc members' thoughts.

Sealegs, I can understand the sentimental value the guest book might hold for loyal Cunard CC members. But for anyone with nefarious purposes, the value of having that book just long enough to copy, is quite different if it contained any information that would enable identifying the personal information of QM2 CC passengers. Not only would that be of concern to CC members, but also to Cunard.

Hcrane, has CC and Cunard been advised that this guestbook has (according to what you have reported reading) gone missing? Out of an abundance of caution and in view of upcoming events in connection with the launching, I believe Cunard should be advised, even if the guestbook should resurface.

Sealegs, I can understand the sentimental value the guest book might hold for loyal Cunard CC members. But for anyone with nefarious purposes, the value of having that book just long enough to copy, is quite different if it contained any information that would enable identifying the personal information of QM2 CC passengers. Not only would that be of concern to CC members, but also to Cunard.

Hcrane, has CC and Cunard been advised that this guestbook has (according to what you have reported reading) gone missing? Out of an abundance of caution and in view of upcoming events in connection with the launching, I believe Cunard should be advised, even if the guestbook should resurface.

S,

there are, or were, CC books on all the ships. The QE2 one was, I believe, reclaimed before she went to her untimely and lingering death in Dubai.

The vast majority of people signed with their Boardnames because anything else would have been totally meaningless to other CC members for whose interest the books were maintained. I don't believe that the books represent a threat to personal security, at least not one that is any more serious than that posed by similar visitors' books in hotels, guest houses, historic buildings and other heritage sites or, indeed, by the visitors' "books" maintained on many personal websites. I think that it is likely that far more personal information could be collected and collated from this very site by anyone of malign intent.

As the Scots tend to say, in their usual optimistic fashion, "I'm sure it'll turn up before a five pound note!"

J

Hi Lonnie.

How great to see you here again. Hope you and Howie are doing well and not as crazy busy as I recall.

I will also miss the book. Every voyage I go to the library to sign and end up sitting down for a while and reading it. I enjoy recognizing so many passengers, as well as the many comments they put down.

Jeanne

Bluemarble, thanks for that link. From what I read there, the guestbook was always available to anyone who wanted to sign and/or read it. I also noted that, members were advised to sign with both their "boardnames" and their real names (post #67). Apparently, photos of the actual pages were posted on the internet at some point.

So I guess if the cat's out of the bag, it's been out from the get-go.

Salacia

For all posters and no one in particular: The Cruise Critic Guest Books on the QE2 and the QM2 have never been a secret and shouldn't be a surprise to any seasoned Cunarder. I regret that the CC Guest Book has "gone missing" on the QM2, but it is not a sinister plot to destroy Western Civilization. It sounds like petty theft. Placing real first names with a boardname is common practice on the Roll Calls, which are used by most Cruise Critic posters who actually plan and book sailings on Cunard or other cruise lines. But sometimes people like to appear to be something they aren't --- poseurs. With the Guest Book on the whole it seems people wanted to be honest and straightforward --- some chose to use full names, and that is/was their business. No problem with this has ever been reported on www.cruisecritic.com as far as I know. Making mountains out of molehills is not really a constructive obsession.

Salacia...since you're relatively new here I can understand you not knowing about the famous "log book". It's been a part of the CC forum almost since the beginning of QM2 and has been a popular place for members to pen their pleasure at sailing on that marvelous ship.

it was full of names of forum friends from past years expressing their joy on their voyages...word of it was pretty regularly spread by member Cusyl who has been missing for some time now, who urged us all not to forget to sign it. It was decided to keep it safe with the Librarian and usually one roll call member would volunteer to bring it to the meet and greet for all to sign easily. I have done it many times. With Cusyl no longer on here regularly I'm guessing many new people never had the chance to hear of it...pity...Cusyl kept us all on our toes and I miss her periodic reminders.

It's not a vehicle for any kind of abuses, merely musings by many of us or just signatures to mark your presence on QM2. Some online friends ( hi Jeanne!!) left messages for others to find as they browsed the pages since their last trip.

I am truly sad to hear it's gone missing and hope that it will be found onboard somewhere or perhaps went home by accident with a member and will be returned on their next trip. It was a special part connection between CC members and QM2. We must keep asking for it as we board. Hopefully it will find its way home.

Cheers, Penny

[b]

Penny’s Affair to Remember QM2 Review

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=471053

November 10,2007...the “Affair” continued...did it ever!

October 16,2008...the “Affair” goes transatlantic as we sail in tandem with the grand QE2 on her final transatlantic voyage...what a thrill!

December 9, 2008....the “Affair” resumes again....Life is good!

July 30, 2009....transatlantic again...some “Affairs” just get better

August 7, 2009....the “Affair” goes on...this time “home” to Norway

Feb. 7, 2010....the “Affair” takes a sunny detour when Penny meets a Princess

Aug 14, 2010....the “Affair” returns to Norway, all the way to the top!

2011...North to Alaska!! A wilderness tour and cruise....sorry Cunard.[/b]

FWIW, I looked up Cusyl's profile, and her most recent activity was September 8 and her most recent post was August 8:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=25532913&highlight=#post25532913

Her most recent post on the Cunard board is:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=23457789&highlight=#post23457789

I hope she is doing ok.

Roy

FWIW, I looked up Cusyl's profile, and her most recent activity was September 8 and her most recent post was August 8:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=25532913&highlight=#post25532913

Her most recent post on the Cunard board is:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=23457789&highlight=#post23457789

I hope she is doing ok.

Roy

Thanks for looking Roy....I was gone August and early Sept and missed her posting. I hope she's Ok too as she was always so helpful to so many and was always diligent in reminding us to sign the log book.

Cheers, Penny

Penny’s Affair to Remember QM2 Review

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=471053

November 10,2007...the “Affair” continued...did it ever!

October 16,2008...the “Affair” goes transatlantic as we sail in tandem with the grand QE2 on her final transatlantic voyage...what a thrill!

December 9, 2008....the “Affair” resumes again....Life is good!

July 30, 2009....transatlantic again...some “Affairs” just get better

August 7, 2009....the “Affair” goes on...this time “home” to Norway

Feb. 7, 2010....the “Affair” takes a sunny detour when Penny meets a Princess

Aug 14, 2010....the “Affair” returns to Norway, all the way to the top!

2011...North to Alaska!! A wilderness tour and cruise....sorry Cunard.

Cruachan and Patwell, thank you for sharing that history. I join you in hoping that the guest book is soon found. And I agree that signing the guest book with "board name" (and first name if desired) poses little or no security concern. Cruise Critic does warn about protecting personal information, so it follows that anyone who chooses to sign with both their first/last names as well as their "board names" is savvy enough to know they are making that information public.

As for safeguarding the guestbook in the future, I suppose the same practice used for checking out any other library book could be used (if Cunard agreed), but there would be disadvantages to that too... anyway, I understand that this is a matter best handled by more experienced board members.:)

Regards,

Salacia

Cruachan and Patwell, thank you for sharing that history.

I understand that this is a matter best handled by more experienced board members.:)

Regards,

Salacia

Good move S. Best not comment on subjects you have no knowledge of.

Regards

Judy

Well I have knowledge of this: the attitude and responses of some board members is downright nasty and becoming more and more apparent on a variety of topics.

Regards,

Salacia

My sincere apologies S. My comments are not meant to offend. We have always made it our pleasure to sign the guest book which was held in the library.

Am so sad to hear that this log/book has been removed.

Best, Judy

Well I have knowledge of this: the attitude and responses of some board members is downright nasty and becoming more and more apparent on a variety of topics.

Regards,

Salacia

Yes, it can get like that sometimes. But stick at it, and don't ge downhearted. Goodwill and affability usually triumph in the end :D:D:D

J

Hmmmmmmmmm.......Does anyone know when and where it was last seen? I wrote in it in February, but that's a while back.

Maybe Babette is on to something here. It would be interesting to know more about its disappearance.:confused:

Archived