Tell me about hiring a tour operation in Acapulco...

MaiTaiMary

Seems like hiring a tour operation in Acapulco is the way to go. I've never done this before, so I have a lot of questions. :D

~It'll just be me and my DH. Do companies offer private tours or will we be with other people? If we're with other people, how does that work? Do we all have to decide where to as a group or... :confused:

~What is the going rate? We arrive at noon and were thinking about 4 hours or so?

~What are the "must see" places in Acapulco? I was thinking we'd drive around for the afternoon, then end up at the cliff diving place for dinner and drinks. (there is a restaurant where the cliff divers are, right? will this be so crowded at dinner time that it won't be fun??)

~How does the payment work? I don't feel comfortable paying before hand, yet I want to make sure there is somebody there waiting for us when we get off the ship.

Any other tips?? :)

thanks!!

We used Sebastian Hernandez while we were in Acapulco. It was just myself and my mom and she has some problems keeping up at times especially in the heat and humidity so I wanted a private tour. It was 96 degrees the day we were there in early March! He was waiting for us when we got off the ship. We just payed him cash the day of the tour. It was $50 pp for about a 5 hour tour. We saw Chapel of the Peace, Flamingo Hotel, Diego Rivera mural house and the cliff divers. We also went shopping for a bit. The tour was supposed to be 4 hours, but we ran over and there was no problem, we never felt rushed. His english is excellent and we felt very safe. I found him after reading trip advisor--they have other recommendations for drivers in Acapulco. His e-mail is eskp_rsh@hotmail.com if you are interested.

There are lots of drivers waiting at the pier in Acapulco that are a little bit cheaper, but I wanted to make sure that we were in an airconditioned car and that the driver spoke english. He says he is a certified driver (don't know exactly what that means, he had to take some sort of a test about the history of the area ect...if that means anything to you!)

No problems with Sebastian!

Hope this helps!

Thanks. :)

I have a number of people I'm going to contact (based on recommendations here). I'm really just trying to get a better idea how the whole tour thing works so I can ask some intelligent questions when I contact them. :o

What other "must see" places should we put on our list?

We aren't in a hurry as we won't be in Acapulco until April of 2011, but I would be interested in a private tour also. We will be flying in two days before our PC cruise Acapulco - Fort Lauderdale and would like a tour the day before we cruise. We won't have the time constraints we usually have while cruising. Also, our cruise leaves at 8 PM the next day, so we would have all day the day we embark. I was thinking we could see the fort that day. Any suggestions for a tour on our free day? We would be willing to hang around the hotel or relax on the beach in the morning and then tour in the afternoon. I know we want to see the cliff divers. Are they best to see in the afternoon or evening? Or should we head out of town one day to see Taxco or other attractions farther away?

We weren't able to see the cliff divers in the night because our ship left. I have seen pictures and it looks fabulous! I enjoyed watching them climb the cliffs and you couldn't see that if you went at night--maybe you could do both day and night dives if you have time. The chapel of the peace was beautiful and the parrotts were outside in the trees screeching--awsome sounds if you have never heard a large flock before.

There are lots of tour operators available--I am sure they would be more than happy to suggest some activities if you just let them know what you want to do.

I would suggest doing some research on the port and get an idea of what you want and then ask one of the guides to give you a price and some other suggestions. I have always found that if you use a recommended guide that they will go out of their way to ensure you have a good time!

• 2 weeks later...

I can suggest an excellent tour guide for you in Acapulco,We used his services in april 09(myself + wife from thew UK + another couple from the USA - also CC members).I still keep posting as i think it is important for CC members to give an honest opinion of their experiance with a tour company they have used, wether it is negative or positive.If you would like any details i`m willing to share the experiance of a wonderful day spent with this tour guide who will tailor make the tour to your preferences if required.

I can suggest an excellent tour guide for you in Acapulco,We used his services in april 09(myself + wife from thew UK + another couple from the USA - also CC members).I still keep posting as i think it is important for CC members to give an honest opinion of their experiance with a tour company they have used, wether it is negative or positive.If you would like any details i`m willing to share the experiance of a wonderful day spent with this tour guide who will tailor make the tour to your preferences if required.

Yes! Please share.:D

Coral Princess - Ft Lauderdale > Acapulco 2009:

REF :- 2 nights stay in Acapulco post cruise:

At first i was apprehensive about booking an independant tour on line ,having first read some reviews and contacting different operaters in Acapulco we ( wife + myself from the UK, + another couple from the USA also CC members ) decided to book a post cruise tour of Acapulco with a company by the name of TOUR BY VAN. I contacted the company by email and corresponded with a gentleman by the name of Rudy Fregoso. He always replied swifty to my questions + concerns and even sent me a copy of his tour operatives licence + insurance. we had transfers from the terminal to our hotel built in our holiday cost with Princess Cruises which we decided not to take as having corresponded with Rudy before leaving the UK we decided to go straight on a tour after disembarking ( not to waste time as we were only in Acapulco for 2 nights ). Rudy assured us that our luggage woul be perfectly safe and that it would be supervised at all times WHICH IT WAS! If we wanted he was prepared to take us to our hotel. True to his word Rudy was waiting for us to disembark at the port, he speaks excellent english and what he doesn`t know about Acapulco probably isn`t worth knowing about. During the tour we stopped for lunch at a typical mexican restaurant ( El Zoritto great food which Rudy recommended ) At no time did he pressure us into anything not even the choice of the restaurant, as he says you decide it`s your tour he will give suggestions if you require but he won`t take you to his friends shop etc ( you know what i mean ! ) The transport he provided was very clean with air con and he also provides compimentary drinks.He took us on a wonderful tour of Acapulco our particular tour lasted approx 7hrs with no hidden or extra costs and you PAY FOR AT THE END OF THE TOUR ,he took us to places we hadn`t discussed in our itinary which we found to be a pleasant and interesting suprise. If you wanted Rudy will tailor make a tour to your requirements.Rudy is very proud of his country and his city Acapulco and is a very informative guide,curtious and can`t do enough for you.I would highly recommend his services and i would definately use his services again no question. In my opinion you cannot go wrong!!!

info@toubyvan.com

http://*********.com

Thank you goldf8h. I have heard a lot of good things about this particualr operator. I saw on his website that he does airport pickups. Did he mention anything about that to you? How did you go to the airport from your hotel? We are doing the same itinerary in reverse and would like to have an tour operator we can use for a couple of days.:)

It`s a pleasure sunny AZ girl, what i would suggest is that you email Rudy and he will promptly answer any questions you may have,and one things for sure he`s somebody you can depend on - he won`t let you down. As for my tour at the end he dropped us off at the reception of our hotel (Acapulco Fairmont Princess ).Our transfer to the airport was included in our holiday cost with Princess Cruises,but i wouldn`t have hesitated in hiring Rudy of Tour By Van to take us to the airport if it wasn`t. As i`ve already said we can highly recommend his services wether it`s to and from the airport or anywhere else for that matter while your in Acapulco. Have a great vacation!!

kind regards , goldfi8h

Coral Princess - Ft Lauderdale > Acapulco 2009:

REF :- 2 nights stay in Acapulco post cruise:

At first i was apprehensive about booking an independant tour on line ,having first read some reviews and contacting different operaters in Acapulco we ( wife + myself from the UK, + another couple from the USA also CC members ) decided to book a post cruise tour of Acapulco with a company by the name of TOUR BY VAN. I contacted the company by email and corresponded with a gentleman by the name of Rudy Fregoso. He always replied swifty to my questions + concerns and even sent me a copy of his tour operatives licence + insurance. ........In my opinion you cannot go wrong!!!

info@toubyvan.com

http://*********.com

Goldfi8h, thanks for the recommendation about Rudy. I got a response from him within 3 minutes! He was VERY informative, pleasant and well-written. He's going to customize a tour for us (2). His prices are very good too. So anyone thinking about using a tour guide in Acapulco, email Rudy at www.tour by van.com.

I also would like to say that Rudy is no doubt customer service oriented. I contacted him about customizing a tour just for our group of 15. I told him what I wanted to do, and he immediately emailed me back with an itinerary with a great price. Will go the extra mile for you. :) Robert

• 2 weeks later...

Do any of the tour companies offer private tours for only 2 people? I'm just wondering how that works if we have a van full of people and everybody wants to do something different.

So the suggestions for things to do are:

~Chapel of the Peace

~Flamingo Hotel

~Diego Rivera mural house

~cliff divers

~shopping

Anything else?

Also, has anybody just hired a tour operator for only 2-3 hours?? There just doesn't seem to be a lot in the area that interests us. I think we'd like to just drive around a bit, then maybe get dropped off someplace for lunch, see the cliff drivers and have a drink, then call it a day.

Again... thanks for the recommendations for specific companies, but I already have a list of the popular companies from other threads. I'm more just trying to get an idea of what we want to do so I know what questions to ask when I contact these people. Thanks! :D

Do any of the tour companies offer private tours for only 2 people? I'm just wondering how that works if we have a van full of people and everybody wants to do something different.

~Chapel of the Peace

~Flamingo Hotel

~cliff divers

~shopping

Anything else?

Also, has anybody just hired a tour operator for only 2-3 hours?? There just doesn't seem to be a lot in the area that interests us. I think we'd like to just drive around a bit, then maybe get dropped off someplace for lunch, see the cliff drivers and have a drink, then call it a day.

Again... thanks for the recommendations for specific companies, but I already have a list of the popular companies from other threads. I'm more just trying to get an idea of what we want to do so I know what questions to ask when I contact these people. Thanks! :D

Rudy will also customize a tour for two people. Just let him know where you want to go and he will give you a price. His tours are on a sliding scale depending on how many are in the van. His price was the most reasonable of all the operators I contacted for two people.

~Chapel of the Peace

~Flamingo Hotel

~cliff divers

~shopping

Anything else?

We are using Rosie in November, don't have her contact info right off the bat, but she will take just 2 of you and customize to whatever you want. She comes highly recommended and responds to email quickly. I'll try to dig that up, or I'm sure someone else will.

We are using Rosie in November, don't have her contact info right off the bat, but she will take just 2 of you and customize to whatever you want. She comes highly recommended and responds to email quickly. I'll try to dig that up, or I'm sure someone else will.

Hi,we are using Rosie this Oct and she has been very prompt at responding to my emails.Her website addy is www.acapulcorosiestours.com and her email is dew_days@hotmail.com;)

We have had the pleasure of using Rosie - and I have to say she is TOP NOTCH! We were very impressed - she will take 2, 4 or 6 depending on whatever you wish and for as long as you wish. She will customize the trip for you. She has air conditioned vans and had a cooler of cold drinks - most welcoming! I highly recommend her.:)

MaiTaiMary,

We, too, have booked Rudy with Tour By Van for our visit in October. He replies quickly to emails and quoted me a reasonable price for just the two of us to see the sites that we chose. We're looking forward to our visit, knowing it will be spent exactly how we want to spend it! Plus, he is so nice in his emails that I'm sure we'll have a good time talking with him as well! It's worth it to email him with your questions and see what he has to say.

To answer some of your questions:

You can book just the two of you for a private tour, or you can book with a group. My understanding is that you can either gather up your own group, or you can be placed in a group that is interested in seeing the same sites as you. When you request information, just mention that you'd like a private tour or that you're interested in joining a group if they have one available. They'll let you know from there. (each company probably has their own 'rule' on this...but that's the general idea) Keep in mind that you'll pay a little more for a private tour....but you'll also do exactly what you want and you won't have to wait for anyone.

It's really impossible to give you a rate, because each guide has their own rates and your price could depend on where you go. A good guide will be happy to give you a quote.

As far as payment, at least with Rudy....you pay at the end of your tour. By reserving the day & time, he's guaranteeing you that he'll be there to pick you up. These guides depend on us to keep them in business, so if they say they'll be there, they will be there. They know that if they don't do as they promise, word will get out (CC is a great example) and people will stop booking them. They want us to enjoy our time with them and write good things about them when we get home.

If you book with a company that asks for any money up front, be sure to find out, first, what their policy is on refunds. If the ship doesn't make it to that port for some reason...will you get a full refund? Also, research the boards and see what others have to say about that company. If you don't find anything or if you find negative, you might want to reconsider using them. Personally, I prefer companies that allow me to pay at the end.

Enjoy your cruise! :)

So far I've gotten a quote of $150 for a 3-4 hour tour for my husband and myself.

"The tour will include the following sites:

- Chapel of Peace

- Los Flamingos Hotel (Home of the Hollywood Gang of the 1950´s) panoramic view and museum.

- High Cliff Divers Show

- Princess Hotel

- Downtown Acapulco and Flea Market

I can suggest that you have lunch at a mexican restaurant where you can enjoy the delicious

mexican food."

Does that seem reasonable? :confused:

I thought it was a little pricey.

Still waiting to hear back from a few other companies to compare.

So far I've gotten a quote of $150 for a 3-4 hour tour for my husband and myself.

"The tour will include the following sites:

- Chapel of Peace

- Los Flamingos Hotel (Home of the Hollywood Gang of the 1950´s) panoramic view and museum.

- High Cliff Divers Show

- Princess Hotel

- Downtown Acapulco and Flea Market

I can suggest that you have lunch at a mexican restaurant where you can enjoy the delicious

mexican food."

Does that seem reasonable? :confused:

I thought it was a little pricey.

Still waiting to hear back from a few other companies to compare.

That is what we were quoted for a 6 hour tour with Rudy for this coming Nov for DW and myself. So for a 3-4 hour tour that would be a little bit pricey.

After reading some of the favorable comments about Rudy, I went ahead and contacted him regarding our upcoming call at Acapulco (26 Oct 09). I concur with the others who said he is very quick to reply. He has been easy to work with as we try to finalize what we want to do / see at this port. Each time he has given some good suggestions to make the stop a highlight of the cruise. Although we haven't finalized a deal, I am 99% sure that Rudy will be our guide when we get there.

Deb and Paul

Hey Goldfi8h,

Is that the e-mail for Rudy the tour guy at the bottom of your post? I tried to send a e-mail to him regarding what I would liek to see & do in December, but it came back as e-mail address unknown. Please help!

Thnx,

Tim

Hey Goldfi8h,

Is that the e-mail for Rudy the tour guy at the bottom of your post? I tried to send a e-mail to him regarding what I would liek to see & do in December, but it came back as e-mail address unknown. Please help!

it is: info at tour by van dot com :)

Archived