Any under 25-40s Solo Cruisers??

Lvnmylife85

Hey fellow Solo Cruisers!

I've recently booked my 2nd solo cruise, this one on the NCL Breakaway to celebrate my 28th birthday. Celebrated solo on the NCL Jewel for my 25th. It was okay...Breakaway lured me in with their solo cabins (no singles supplement) and studio lounge. (Tough to find people in this age group when they're jsut finishing school, tackling student loans, becoming first time homebuyers, paying off weddings and having children.-All of my friends)

I can't help but wonder if the cruise market will grab the attention of more younger adults as I did wind up feeling like I had to converse with many older retirees on my last sailing. Maybe it was the Ship/Cruiseline, maybe it was the time of year (Early December) when most Grads are still in school. I know a lot of singles like to sail on Carnival for the fun, but with most of their carribean sailings only leaving from Florida I'd prefer the NY Port with no airfare!

It'd be nice to connect with some folks that you have a ton of things in common with and look forward to keeping in touch long after the wonderful vacation has ended. :o

I'm 29 and going on my first solo in a few weeks on the Norwegian Epic. The studios and lounge definitely drew me in. I was also considering a cruise on the Allure of the Seas or Oasis of the Seas, but couldn't justify the extra $1,000 they would cost for similar destinations.

If I enjoy my cruise on the Epic, I am planning to try out the Breakaway. You'll have to write a review of the Breakaway when you get back for everyone.

I really think the invention of the studios and studio lounge was genius on the part of Norwegian. It is going to attract younger solo travelers such as us. I'm sure you'll have a great time on the Breakaway.

Hi there. I'm 39 and thinking about doing the Breakaway in 2014 or 2015. The studio cabins sound appealing to me, especially with the lounge area, sounds like it will be a good way to meet other solo people. Most of my friends and family are married with kids and although I can sometimes talk someone into going on vacation with me, I want the freedom to go when it is convenient for me. Plus, when I am with my friends I tend to let them run with the conversation, whereas when I am by myself meeting new people I might be a little more sociable. Solo cruising seems like the best route for me to take. I look forward to any Breakaway reviews!!

Trixie :D

@hotchibonnie

Did you connect with anyone on your Roll Call before the trip? Granted it can be hit or miss with regard to personalities but there might be a chance that there's someone closer to your age that you might connect with.

You might also want to check out Happy Hour on the ships and at least take a peak at the solo gatherings in the evenings.

I'm 37 and have done 4 cruises solo and many land trips. I found that if you're in the spots that younger people venture into there's usually someone cool to spend time around if you're interested; and please don't discount the retirees. Some of them are pretty cool people that have and are living some amazing lives! :)

Hi there. I'm 39 and thinking about doing the Breakaway in 2014 or 2015. The studio cabins sound appealing to me, especially with the lounge area, sounds like it will be a good way to meet other solo people. Most of my friends and family are married with kids and although I can sometimes talk someone into going on vacation with me, I want the freedom to go when it is convenient for me. Plus, when I am with my friends I tend to let them run with the conversation, whereas when I am by myself meeting new people I might be a little more sociable. Solo cruising seems like the best route for me to take. I look forward to any Breakaway reviews!!

Trixie :D

I experienced a little of that on my last cruise. I booked it solo, but the travel agent's step-daughter was a girl I went to high school and college with... so when she found out that I had booked a cruise, she decided to go, too. We both had our own studio cabins and everything, so we weren't with each other 24/7 or anything, but whenever we were with other people... well... she's....a little on the wild side (for instance, she kept telling me I needed to "get drunk and have some fun"...), so whenever she was around, I kind of felt like I had to hold back a bit more than I normally would. Not to mention that I was always kind of praying she wouldn't embarrass me too badly since everyone knew that we had come together. XD

I'm usually very outgoing, and I wasn't a wallflower by any means, but I did occasionally feel like it was her vacation and I had tagged along, rather than the reverse.

Needless to say, I am really looking forward to being completely solo this go around. Just hope we have another great group of solos!

I'm also considering booking the Breakaway for fall of 2014. Haven't completely decided yet... but I'm very, very tempted. I just wish the itineraries were more desirable.

Oh, btw, I'm 34. Eek. lol

I'm 38 & going on my 3rd solo cruise in November. Like at lot of you, I could not find anyone to go with me for various reasons(friends are married, have kids, etc.). Decided I would try solo cruising because I did not want to wait for anyone to be able to go with me. Love the freedom I have when I do.

Usually cruise Carnival but would eventually like to go on NCL's ships that have the solo cabins.

I'm 29 and going on my first solo in a few weeks on the Norwegian Epic. The studios and lounge definitely drew me in. I was also considering a cruise on the Allure of the Seas or Oasis of the Seas, but couldn't justify the extra $1,000 they would cost for similar destinations.

If I enjoy my cruise on the Epic, I am planning to try out the Breakaway. You'll have to write a review of the Breakaway when you get back for everyone.

I really think the invention of the studios and studio lounge was genius on the part of Norwegian. It is going to attract younger solo travelers such as us. I'm sure you'll have a great time on the Breakaway.

Hey Zavtak,

I'll be sure to write an amazing review on the Breakaway after my sailing.

I experienced a little of that on my last cruise. I booked it solo, but the travel agent's step-daughter was a girl I went to high school and college with... so when she found out that I had booked a cruise, she decided to go, too. We both had our own studio cabins and everything, so we weren't with each other 24/7 or anything, but whenever we were with other people... well... she's....a little on the wild side (for instance, she kept telling me I needed to "get drunk and have some fun"...), so whenever she was around, I kind of felt like I had to hold back a bit more than I normally would. Not to mention that I was always kind of praying she wouldn't embarrass me too badly since everyone knew that we had come together. XD

I'm usually very outgoing, and I wasn't a wallflower by any means, but I did occasionally feel like it was her vacation and I had tagged along, rather than the reverse.

Needless to say, I am really looking forward to being completely solo this go around. Just hope we have another great group of solos!

I'm also considering booking the Breakaway for fall of 2014. Haven't completely decided yet... but I'm very, very tempted. I just wish the itineraries were more desirable.

Oh, btw, I'm 34. Eek. lol

dreamr,

Sorry your cruise experience wasn't as great as you would've liked it to be. I have booked solo, but have a friend that has recently told me she plans on coming along. I don't know how true this is yet, but I'm hoping i have just as much fun and since I'll be losing my access to the studio lounge hope I can still meet other solo travelers in the midst of the 4000 other cruisers. lol

@hotchibonnie

Did you connect with anyone on your Roll Call before the trip? Granted it can be hit or miss with regard to personalities but there might be a chance that there's someone closer to your age that you might connect with.

You might also want to check out Happy Hour on the ships and at least take a peak at the solo gatherings in the evenings.

I'm 37 and have done 4 cruises solo and many land trips. I found that if you're in the spots that younger people venture into there's usually someone cool to spend time around if you're interested; and please don't discount the retirees. Some of them are pretty cool people that have and are living some amazing lives! :)

Hey Xenagurl,

Yup, I'm an active member on my roll call, (Although its kinda dead over there right now with 297 days to go before sailing). I'll be sure to look out for the solo gatherings on the daily schedules and I hope there are a good amount of them. Didn't see many on my NCL Jewel sailing and the ones they had there weren't many people attending. Hopefully that will change with the Breakaway and Epic ships. :)

:)

Hi,

I'm 31 and taking my first solo cruise on the RCI Navigator of the Seas in September in Europe. I'm pretty excited about it. I'm not sure what kind of crows to expect but with my ipod and a book I'll make my own fun happen. :D

Hi Princess Jen,

I hear ya! I plan on loading up my Kindle for poolside enjoyment and ipod for the gym!

Hey Xenagurl,

Yup, I'm an active member on my roll call, (Although its kinda dead over there right now with 297 days to go before sailing). I'll be sure to look out for the solo gatherings on the daily schedules and I hope there are a good amount of them. Didn't see many on my NCL Jewel sailing and the ones they had there weren't many people attending. Hopefully that will change with the Breakaway and Epic ships. :)

When I was on the Epic in November, there was a meeting in the Studio Lounge every evening at 5:30 pm. Solos that weren't staying in the studio cabins were also welcome to join in, as the door to the lounge was propped open during the 'meeting'. A lot of us went to dinner together afterward, around 6:15ish. :)

When I was on the Epic in November, there was a meeting in the Studio Lounge every evening at 5:30 pm. Solos that weren't staying in the studio cabins were also welcome to join in, as the door to the lounge was propped open during the 'meeting'. A lot of us went to dinner together afterward, around 6:15ish. :)

That sounds great Deana!..just in case I decide to upgrade to that Balcony at the last minute, I still won't miss out on meeting other solos! Something to definitely look forward to.

Hey Xenagurl,

I think that the Epic and Breakaway do/will attract a younger set. I think that you'll have a wonderful time. I hope that you meet lots of cool people!

I've recently booked my 2nd solo cruise, this one on the NCL Breakaway to celebrate my 28th birthday. Celebrated solo on the NCL Jewel for my 25th. It was okay...Breakaway lured me in with their solo cabins (no singles supplement) and studio lounge. (Tough to find people in this age group when they're jsut finishing school, tackling student loans, becoming first time homebuyers, paying off weddings and having children.-All of my friends)

I can't help but wonder if the cruise market will grab the attention of more younger adults as I did wind up feeling like I had to converse with many older retirees on my last sailing. Maybe it was the Ship/Cruiseline, maybe it was the time of year (Early December) when most Grads are still in school. I know a lot of singles like to sail on Carnival for the fun, but with most of their carribean sailings only leaving from Florida I'd prefer the NY Port with no airfare!

It'd be nice to connect with some folks that you have a ton of things in common with and look forward to keeping in touch long after the wonderful vacation has ended. :o

I did the Jewel as well and hated it solo. To this day I regret wasting the money and it upsets me that I didn't have a good time. However, the Epic was fantastic. Going from NY for me is better as well, no airfare, just a buss or train to NYC where I go often anyway.

I am still going to read some reviews before making a payment but I think the Breakaway is much better for a solo then the Jewel.

I did the Jewel as well and hated it solo. To this day I regret wasting the money and it upsets me that I didn't have a good time. However, the Epic was fantastic. Going from NY for me is better as well, no airfare, just a buss or train to NYC where I go often anyway.

I am still going to read some reviews before making a payment but I think the Breakaway is much better for a solo then the Jewel.

I'm glad someone understands my pain lol

Zactak and HowardK...

Based on what you have posted here, you both seem to be local to the Philadelphia area (just my assumption).

NJ here.. looking to do a solo cruise for the first time. Any advice for a good cruise from a local port (NY/NJ; MD?) I know the Breakaway has the solo cabins... Seem so tiny!

Thanks

Zactak and HowardK...

Based on what you have posted here, you both seem to be local to the Philadelphia area (just my assumption).

NJ here.. looking to do a solo cruise for the first time. Any advice for a good cruise from a local port (NY/NJ; MD?) I know the Breakaway has the solo cabins... Seem so tiny!

Thanks

Hi Laney,

I know your message was directed towards Zactak and HowardK, but I'm actually doing a solo cabin on the Breakaway from NY in December. If you look at the solo cabin as far as square footage goes for one person, its actually more than if you were sharing an inside or so with another person. If I'm lucky enough I'll only be going to my cabin to shower, change attire, and sleep. :)

I'm 36, and I've just come back from my second solo cruise - I LOVE cruising solo, and the age range of the other cruisers doesn't really matter to me......

I've been sticking to the smaller ships - the bigger ones kinda intimidate me. *lol*

Hi Laney,

I know your message was directed towards Zactak and HowardK, but I'm actually doing a solo cabin on the Breakaway from NY in December. If you look at the solo cabin as far as square footage goes for one person, its actually more than if you were sharing an inside or so with another person. If I'm lucky enough I'll only be going to my cabin to shower, change attire, and sleep. :)

I appreciate your input!!! I looked into the solo cabins already.. and the price was more than I expected.. I know they say 'no single supplement' but the cost is still higher than one person's cost if two were in an inside or ocean view (i think makes sense?!)

I agree that cabin is to shower dress and sleep.. i still don't want to be cramped.. i think the major downer for me was looking at the shower. silly i know i know

As a side.. i have a single booking on explorer of the seas 9nights out of Bayonne in April 2014... was just over $1800 for a Promenade view inside... when I priced out the solo cabins.. it was like $1400 for 7 nights... bigger room.. same per night cost...

As a side.. i have a single booking on explorer of the seas 9nights out of Bayonne in April 2014... was just over $1800 for a Promenade view inside... when I priced out the solo cabins.. it was like $1400 for 7 nights... bigger room.. same per night cost...

Well, I could be wrong, but if you're comparing Explorer of the Seas to Breakaway... that's a 13 year old ship being compared to one that hasn't even been released yet. So yeah, the prices for Breakaway are going to be a lot higher right now?

Also, keep in mind that with the studio cabins also comes the Studio Lounge, which is awesome. There are solo meetings in there, and snacks throughout the day. I thought it was nice to be able to grab some milk and cookies on my way back to my cabin at night. Or, if I wasn't in the mood to go all the way to the buffet or one of the dining rooms, I could just go to the Lounge and grab a sandwich or salad, etc.

Plus, you get a "solo director" who really helps the solo travelers mingle with each other, and if you need any help with specialty reservations, etc, they can assist you.

Our solo director, Fernando, was awesome! He's currently on vacation, but I'm really hoping that he'll be on the Epic in January! I'd love to hang out with him again!

As you can tell, I've stayed in a studio cabin on the Epic, and I didn't think it was bad at all. Like hotchibonnie said, you actually get more space per person in a studio than you would if two people were in an inside cabin. So it's honestly not as small as it sounds.

And take it from a curvy chick... the shower is not that bad either. My last cruise was my very first cruise ever, and I had gotten a bit worried that the showers would be too small, and that I'd barely fit through the hallways and doorways (LOL - and I'm not THAT big!). Everything was a lot bigger in person than people online had made them out to be! lol

Well, I could be wrong, but if you're comparing Explorer of the Seas to Breakaway... that's a 13 year old ship being compared to one that hasn't even been released yet. So yeah, the prices for Breakaway are going to be a lot higher right now?

I know the two ships are apples and oranges.. I was just offering a per night cost comparison for two cruises leaving in same area. Glad you enjoyed the studio cabin and social lounges.. I am sure I will give them a try on the Breakaway.. but not at the current cost for the current intineraries.

You might be in luck on this sailing :) Is it Decemeber yet ?

Archived