Just off the Sky to Cuba 6/4/18

This was my first cruise with NCL.

If you were to read my first review which was on Carnival you would see I was not overly thrilled with the cruise. In hindsight, I was expecting so much more and was disappointed. I had spent hundreds of hours on these boards and thought I knew what I was getting into. I was wrong. I went into my cruise with NCL figuring it was going to be about the same as carnival. I was going to the port, not the ship.

So here we go.....

I arrive a little after 1 pm and had to stand in line for approx 45 minutes. I do think they could make it more comfortable while you are waiting to check in. Or better yet, make it so you can check in at the airport as you can carnival. We did get to go straight onto the ship. Luggage was arriving at the rooms by the time I got on board.

The NCL Sky is a smaller older ship. It was very clean. The staff was non stop cleaning. I told the person running the buffets that I wish my staff worked 1/2 as hard. There was no leaning, only cleaning.

ship.jpg"></a>

I had a balcony. Originally I had booked an inside but I had called asking if I could move my room and was told the price had gone down. They would not refund my money but they would upgrade me. I probably could have gotten on board credit but figured what the heck, I would take the balcony.

The room was ok. Felt small but clean. With 2 people in there I think it would have felt very crowded. If they had a 3rd on the couch, there would have been no place to walk.

cabin.jpg

HINT, take a picture of your room number with your camera, it is not on your card and there are a zillion doors all looking the same.

Funny story, was walking behind a man going to our cabins, he stopped at my door and put in the card, and was puzzled it did not work... I watch him do it twice and then smiled and said I think you have the wrong room.. I took out my card and said, let's see if mine works :) It of course did. He was in the room next to me LOL He was so embarrassed :)

Food: Food is subjective. I am not into the fancy dining room experience, Since I travel solo I am already paying double for the trip, I am not going to spend more for pretentious food that I won't eat.

I ate at the buffets.

If you are a Whole food plant based no oil eater, you will starve without compromising. They did have a few vegetarian dished on the buffet each day but soaked in oil. They do have a decent veggie burger. The fruit was still not in season, was very hit and miss. Cantaloupe was hard and not edible. The watermelon was not quite ripe so was not as good as it should be. There were no bananas! I asked for some and they show up but they did not have them the rest of the time.

For meat eaters, you will be fine. tons of fat, fried foods, full of sugar for you.

Will post the activity sheets tonight, need to go to work.

The bed was like a rock. My poor room steward put 2 egg crates on it, I could barely walk in the mornings.

The showers are very small. I am a very little person so it was fine for me but for these people with the big barrel bellies, I can't imagine they would be comfortable.

The gym was nice and was hoping even at 6 in the morning.

There was an adult only pool.

We were lucky there were not a lot of kids on the ship. I suspect it was because we were going to Cuba.

Getting off I sat out on the outside deck right where we would be disembarking about an hour before it was time to get off (Most were eating breakfast) was the 5th off the ship, straight out of customs and off the ship.

I did a tour with Blexie Google Tours with Blexie Havana, you will find it.. not sure if I can put the link ... It was great. Was in an air conditioned 1956 car that was in immaculate condition. They took me every where I wanted to go. The tour guide knew his history very well, was able to answer all my questions, spoke English as well as I did. We went to an authentic Cuban restaurant for lunch.

Cuba is a very very poor country. The ships are really making a positive change for them.

There were many homeless animals on the streets, that broke my heart, I run an animal shelter, wanted to take them all back with me.

The weather was rocky most nights but nice during the day.

If you want to see more of the activity sheets, just ask. I kept them.

All and all, I am glad I went. Would I ever go on NCL Sky again? no... I sincerely doubt it. But I would give NCL another try. Hope their beds are better on other ships. I would rate the cruise a 6 out of 10.

Wanted to add, The internet was adequate but make sure you remember to turn it off, It is NOT unlimited.. If you purchase 100 minutes that will be gone very quickly if you do not turn off the internet after using.

Also if you buy the water package, The 12 pack of bottles are HUGE bottles. 6 are great for one person. I had waters left over.

Thanks for the review. I’d love to hear more about Cuba. Any photos?

Pam and I are hoping to take the Sky to Cuba in the next 12 months.

The Sky happens to be one of our favorite ships. We’ve been on her many times.

We just got off of the NCLs newest, the Bliss, and I can’t say that the cabins are much bigger on there. The glass enclosed showers are certainly nicer on the Bliss though. Although the best shower arrangement was our obstructed ocean view cabin on the NCL Star that had a full sized shower with glass doors a large vanity and a glass door enclosed commode on the other side of the vanity.

As for the boarding process I have found that NCL has been consistently faster than Carnival out of Miami.

With Carnival no matter how early we show up, after going through security, we get herded into a holding area on the second floor where we wait in an crowded space while group numbers are called.

With the Sky the only line up is to get to the check in desk. After that you are straight onboard. No group numbers to wait for. The check in line works pretty quickly from our experience having gone through it so many times. In the general line 15-20 minutes tops from parking to boarding. Even faster though the Latitudes Rewards line. But we always try to get there early. I would say that the 45 minute wait you had on your boarding day was the exception rather than the norm.

Also as far as dining is concerned the two main dining rooms on the Sky that are included in your cruise fare. No extra charges in those dining areas unless you order certain specialty wines or something like lobster.

Anyway, I do look forward to hearing more about Cuba and perhaps seeing some photos!

Here are some random pictures. I did not take lots because I was using my phone and could not see the screen in the sun :(

The architecture of some parts of the country are amazing!!

cuba1.jpg

A shot from the balcony. This county is such a confusion :) Look at the gold steeple of the church, yet the port building is falling apart. They are working on the port building.

cuba2.jpg

This cemetery is crazy huge!! Over 2 MILLION souls are there. They are on top of each other.

cuba3.jpg

Inside the chapel at the cemetery. They do services weekly packing 700 people into this tiny space. Look at the amazing stain glass window!

cuba4.jpg

For meat eaters, you will be fine. tons of fat, fried foods, full of sugar for you.

Too bad you don't eat in the main dining room. You sound like a fun table mate.

I was on Starboard side,

Some more random pictures

cuba5.jpg

Isn't this church beautiful?

cuba6.jpg

There was a garden across from the ship that had this amazing plaque honoring Princess Diana.

cuba7.jpg

The park next to the church had some interesting artwork

cuba9.jpg

As for the boarding process I have found that NCL has been consistently faster than Carnival out of Miami.

With Carnival no matter how early we show up, after going through security, we get herded into a holding area on the second floor where we wait in an crowded space while group numbers are called.

Also as far as dining is concerned the two main dining rooms on the Sky that are included in your cruise fare. No extra charges in those dining areas unless you order certain specialty wines or something like lobster.

I found a secret with Carnival is to check in at the airport. That gets you going in group 1 behind the FFTF etc. I am ok with the holding area, you can sit verses standing on concrete like NCL

I do not like main dining room, I am not pretentious and into the fancy dishes nor many of the snobs that like to eat in the main dining room. I am a simple person and good with the buffet. I did look at their menu and there was nothing on it I would eat.

Keep in mind, I eat whole food, plant based. Which means, fruits, vegetables, grains, legumes... no sugar, no oil. :) I have healed my health eating real food :) 62 years old and on zero meds, BP is 100/70 and lost 50 pounds. I will continue eating this way :)

Oh BTW, Make sure to carry some TP with you (Kleenex) You may find some bathrooms do NOT have TP

AND when you are exchanging your money, get a few coins to tip in the bathrooms. Some have an attendant and they expect you to tip.

Also there are some women in costume when you first come across the street from your ship that will be trying to get you to pose with them for pictures. They expect you to pay.

There is also a guy with a silly costume with his dog trying to get you to take his picture, he expects you to give a donation too.

Get some coins so you are not handing them $5. with bills.

• 1 month later...
AWESOME!! Ive been trying to figure out if/where they adult only area is. Do you remember which deck or how to find it?

It is actually right next to the other pool ... you have 2 pools and hot tubs. One is marked adults only. Not sure on a regular cruise if that would be respected. On the Cuba cruise, there were very few children.