Self Disembarkation from the Escape

I have never done this, but for those of you who have, does self disembarkation really expedite the process of getting of the ship? Are you the first ones off the ship? Is there any backup the customs area?

Thinking about trying this but I am interested in what you have to say.

Thank you!

I did this in April out of Miami on the Escape and yes I was one of the first people off of the ship. I had a 10:45am flight to catch so that is why I did self assist. I was also the 4th person in line for customs and made it to the airport around 7:45am. I have done this on all cruise lines whenever I have an early flight to catch and it has worked every time.

I have never done this, but for those of you who have, does self disembarkation really expedite the process of getting of the ship? Are you the first ones off the ship? Is there any backup the customs area?

Thinking about trying this but I am interested in what you have to say.

Thank you!

You can disembark as soon as the ship is cleared by customs. It takes a while for them to unload bags in the baggage hall, so walking off is faster.

2000of your new friends gave the same idea. Unless you are in line very early, there will be a mob scene for a while. If you are not in a rush, avoid the crowds.

Also, you have to be able to move your own bags to the ship, down the gangway, through the terminal, down the escalators to baggage claim, and to customs and border patrol. There were a lot of people who think that they can handle their luggage, and struggle and block the gangway trying to maneuver their bags themselves.

Again, unless you have an early flight or need to get moving quickly, have a leisurely breakfast, enjoy your last hours on the ship, and let the porters carry your bags to shore.

I was very happy with self-disembarkation leaving the Escape on 7/8. Our family (2 adults, 2 teens) had orange tags that we picked up on Friday afternoon for the 8:00 am departure group. On Sunday morning, we were up at dawn to see the arrival past Lady Liberty and up the Hudson. We had breakfast at the Garden Cafe and went back to our rooms to pack our toiletries and make a last sweep of the cabins. Our group was called at 7:50, we took an elevator from 10 to 7, and joined the queue snaking through the Manhattan Room. We were off the ship by 8:10, and sitting in our car in the adjacent garage by 8:35. There were numerous agents working in the terminal and it could not have gone more smoothly. That said, we each only had 1 suitcase and 1 carry on, and did not have to assist any babies, elderly, or other special needs in our group. YMMV

• 2 weeks later...

It was super easy. We sailed this past June, it was our 6th cruise and we have never done the self disembarkation but this year we drove to NYC and wanted to get an early start for home. We took the first groups color, had a nice sit down breakfast, and by this time they were calling colors. We were off the ship, through customs, and in a cab within 20 minutes! We will go this route every time in the future. We had 2 large bags, a small bag, plus a bag for our snorkel equipment. Hubby and I had no problem getting everything moved.

We just departed Sunday. No custom line, you don't even have to fill the form out any more if you do not exceed the custom limits. We were on the street waiting to be picked up by 8:15am.

We always do self-disembarkation, and make every effort to be one of the first off the ship. It's rare that we see much of a line at Customs, especially since they no longer require a form -- the agent scans your passport, sometimes asks one or two questions, and you're out the door.

Off the Escape in Miami last February, we were probably halfway home to Daytona Beach while there were still people on the ship waiting to get off.

We did self-embark on the Escape earlier this year....super easy! Just have to get up early and carry all of your bags as other posters have noted.

While I liked the self-carry option, we are not going to use it on our next cruise. I purposely booked a later flight so that we can take our time and relax that morning. We are also in a suite so want to be able to enjoy that last suite breakfast.

We did self-embark on the Escape earlier this year....super easy! Just have to get up early and carry all of your bags as other posters have noted.

While I liked the self-carry option, we are not going to use it on our next cruise. I purposely booked a later flight so that we can take our time and relax that morning. We are also in a suite so want to be able to enjoy that last suite breakfast.

If you put your bags out the night before, what is the latest that you can leave the ship? If I want to carry off my bags myself, does the time you need to get off differ?

Did it in May- usually I am 3 or 4th in line but this time was around 30th and was still on the street by 8.

I believe I got in line to leave around 6:45 or so. Others I know waited until the end an got off easy after the rush around 10:30 or so but I prefer early