Yes..another "This is my last cruise with Carnival" Thread

zenful6219

I have a cruise for two people in one stateroom scheduled on Carnival Dream for May 18, 2013. Unfortunately, I didn't book Early Saver and for that "privilege" paid a bit more. Now that we're within the cancellation penalty phase, many of my fellow Dreamers are getting price drops and OBCs. Many of them have the same stateroom category. At last count, some people are now effectively paying almost $300 less than I am for the same category! I even did a mock booking and found a room just three doors down the hall from mine that was $430 cheaper.

Although I knew it would probably be a wasted effort, I called Carnival to discuss the issue. Mostly I called because others in my same situation claimed they had received at least a refund of the difference. For some odd reason, Carnival will not give OBC to people in our situation.

After being on the telephone with Carnival for 35 minutes, and the representative trying to accommodate the price reductions, the line disconnected while I was on hold. It was not my phone that disconnected. Rather, it was on their end.

So, I called again, made my way through their voice-recognition/menu system, and after 3-4 minutes got to speak with a different person. I explained everything all over again. While the new representative was very pleasant, she also very pleasantly informed me that there wasn't anything she could for me.

Bottom line, and I shared this with her as well before hanging up, it may be the practice of a cruise line to penalize people like myself by charging them $300 more than someone else for the exact category, but that doesn't mean I have to patronize that cruise line. And, it may be that other cruise lines do the same thing. If so, well then maybe they can just cruise without my money.

I am not happy with Carnival. I am within the penalty phase, so will not cancel. But I am 99.9% certain I will never cruise with Carnival again.

Those that book Early Saver are risking a nonrefundable deposit (with a charge to change dates, etc) to get that price protection. I was willing to take that chance, but not everyone wants to do so. Other fares without that price protection are fully refundable (up until the final payment date). Airlines don't refund the price difference if someone books a lower fare than me, so I'm glad Carnival offers this as an option via Early Saver. If I wasn't happy with the price I paid (this is true for any product or service), I simply won't purchase it.

So, correct me if I'm wrong...you booked a cruise. You DID NOT book Early Saver but you want OBC for the difference on the now "discounted" room category?

It doesn't work that way. You book Early Saver and get that price protection. If you don't book Early Saver, you don't have price protection. Period. Sorry, but Carnival isn't at fault. At least you're cruising out of a port with that chance of a price drop. Galveston never price drops!

I take it you have never bought a car before. Not all things in life are fair. The people that booked Early Saver gave up options you had, they have restrictions as you do. Just because it doesn't work in you favor, does not mean that it is wrong o dishonest.

You don't say what category room you are in (that I recall), but if a category above yours has dropped in price to what you paid for your category, you can still get the upgrade. You won't get onboard credit but can upgrade. So check out some prices of cabins higher in category than what you have.

Maggie

It does suck, but I never book the early saver fares because I feel more comfortable being able to cancel before final payment. It is a bummer because, yes there have been lots of price drops I have missed, but I know going in when I book my fare that, that is a good possibility.

What I don't like is how Carnival treats people differently depending on who you get on the phone. I do believe that they have given people (who have not booked early saver) obc or something else for the price difference and don't give it to others. That's not fair.

But when you book the non early saver you know going in that you are not going to get the price drop difference after final payment, which I'm sure Carnival waits for that date to pass before really dropping fares.

I have in the past been able to get a room upgrade when calling to ask about the fare difference, but I think I just got lucky and was very persisent while being nice.

Maybe try to call back one more time, but don't let it ruin your vacation! Go, have a good time!

You had your chance to book Early Saver, you declined for whatever reason and are now literally paying the price for it. Don't blame Carnival or their reps for the decision you made or their policies.

I'd be upset with Carnival if they bent the rules for you and gave you the onboard credit.

I have a cruise for two people in one stateroom scheduled on Carnival Dream for May 18, 2013. Unfortunately, I didn't book Early Saver and for that "privilege" paid a bit more. Now that we're within the cancellation penalty phase, many of my fellow Dreamers are getting price drops and OBCs. Many of them have the same stateroom category. At last count, some people are now effectively paying almost $300 less than I am for the same category! I even did a mock booking and found a room just three doors down the hall from mine that was $430 cheaper.

Although I knew it would probably be a wasted effort, I called Carnival to discuss the issue. Mostly I called because others in my same situation claimed they had received at least a refund of the difference. For some odd reason, Carnival will not give OBC to people in our situation.

After being on the telephone with Carnival for 35 minutes, and the representative trying to accommodate the price reductions, the line disconnected while I was on hold. It was not my phone that disconnected. Rather, it was on their end.

So, I called again, made my way through their voice-recognition/menu system, and after 3-4 minutes got to speak with a different person. I explained everything all over again. While the new representative was very pleasant, she also very pleasantly informed me that there wasn't anything she could for me.

Bottom line, and I shared this with her as well before hanging up, it may be the practice of a cruise line to penalize people like myself by charging them $300 more than someone else for the exact category, but that doesn't mean I have to patronize that cruise line. And, it may be that other cruise lines do the same thing. If so, well then maybe they can just cruise without my money.

I am not happy with Carnival. I am within the penalty phase, so will not cancel. But I am 99.9% certain I will never cruise with Carnival again.

My question to you is, why did you not choose early saver? If you did, then you would not have this thread started. Most of the folks that get OBC are the ones who most likely booked Early Saver, or changed before the penalty.

I had always booked what ever rate I felt I could afford, and had always had a wonderful cruise. Then I joined this forum and really understood what all those deals actually were. Now I book early Saver! I have to admit you have to continually check pricing, because it does change quite often, but when you can save, it feels good.

I would put all that anger behind you, and anxiously await all the fun you are going to have on the cruise, then the next time book the early saver rate. :)

You say you are 99% sure you will never cruise with Carnival again because of their policies, I get that. Will you cruise on another line? What other lines offer price protection for every customer regardless of how and when they booked and with absolutely no restrictions? I would certainly be interested in checking them out!

I am sorry that you are "not happy with Carnival".

But it really sounds like you wants the benefits ES and whatever rate you chose - the refundable deposit AND the price protection. Sorry...but it just doesn't work that way!

YOU made the choice when you booked not to choose ES which would have given you the price protection. Not sure how now that can be Carnivals fault.:o

You didn't book that rate for a reason so I wouldn't be upset. I prefer the peace of mind knowing that if I have to cancel I will have less issues. I usually try to get past guest or military rates and I never pay more than what I think the cruise is worth.

For some odd reason, Carnival will not give OBC to people in our situation.

That "odd" reason is that you didn't book a qualifying rate. I know you may think you're being penalized, but if Carnival made an exception with you, then they would need to make an exception with everyone else. It would be unfair for those who took a risk by booking Early Saver.

Have you thought about upgrading to a higher category? Although Carnival will not give you a refund or OBC, they'll give you the option of moving to a higher category. I don't book Early Saver EVER, but I have taken advantage of category upgrades on our last two Carnival cruises when the rates dropped after final payment...:)

The OP's situation is similar to booking airfare via the airline's website and then winding up seated next to the person who spends half th flight bragging about the great deal on hotwire that got the round trip for 1/3 of the one way fare. Flight Attendent isn't going to give you an extra pillow or blankety or free cocktail to make up the difference.

You had your chance to book Early Saver, you declined for whatever reason and are now literally paying the price for it. Don't blame Carnival or their reps for the decision you made or their policies.

I'd be upset with Carnival if they bent the rules for you and gave you the onboard credit

Excellent point!

to penalize people like myself by charging them $300 more than someone else for the exact category,

I think you would be hard pressed to find any two sets of people on a cruise or an airplane (and possibly even in a hotel!) who paid the same rate for the exact same product.

If you wanted price protection, you could have booked Early Saver. But then, if you had wanted to cancel, would you have been complaining about how you didn't get your deposit refunded?

So, correct me if I'm wrong...you booked a cruise. You DID NOT book Early Saver but you want OBC for the difference on the now "discounted" room category?

It doesn't work that way. You book Early Saver and get that price protection. If you don't book Early Saver, you don't have price protection. Period. Sorry, but Carnival isn't at fault. At least you're cruising out of a port with that chance of a price drop. Galveston never price drops!

I was lucky last July had $1,369 OBC on the Magic out of Galveston. So it does happen, you just have to check daily for price drops.

You were the one who purposely chose not to do Early Saver....don't blame Carnival when your decision turned out to be a poor one. They did give you the choice. If you chose not to do Early Saver then why would you even look after final payment??? You knew the rules when you booked the other rate.

I'm sure there are plenty of people on my cruise who've gotten OBC too. I'm not among them, but I wasn't expecting any. I clearly knew the product restrictions when I booked.

Although many don't, I personally think of any cruise line like an airline ... IF you were to take a poll on any given flight, you'd find probably 10 different fares at a minimum for people sitting on that plane with you.

I'm with everyone else.

And, you should call back and at least see if you can get upgraded to a higher deck or better cabin even.

We all pay different fares for these cruises, depending on what a person qualifies for and it's a bitter pill to swallow when you know others have paid less, however, that's the way it is.

Have a wonderful time on your trip.:D

Archived