MSC Poesia repositioning Buenos Aires to Venice

Kaeloxelus

We are booked on the Poesia April 2018 transatlantic repositioning cruise. There are few posts for this extended type of cruise; any tips or advice from passengers on previous cruises on this routing and specifically advice on port calls in Salvador and Recife in Brazil? Thank you.

Check out my recent post entitled trip report Barcelona to Brazil onboard Preziosa. Just returned from this repositioning cruise so should give you some idea. Also includes a port report for Salvador .scroll down a couple of pages and you will see it

A top tip when visiting any Brazilian port - remove all your jewellery and keep it in your cabin safe; don't bring more cash than you reckon you'll need and, if you do bring your phone, keep it well hidden. Don't make yourself a target!

We visited Salvador (but not Recife) on Preziosa's Grand Voyage from Santos. We didn't venture too far, just did some shopping at a large mall. DH reckons we used taxis to get to and from it. I really can't remember; I tend to mix this POC up with our visit to Fuerteventura :rolleyes:

Thanks Ketut for an impressive and comprehensive review on board Preziosa...much encouraged by your positive comments on the ship, service and food; there are so many poor MSC reports. We used MSC a few years ago repositioning between South Africa and Genoa but on the much smaller Melody; we were not disappointed and yes we loved Cadiz. Your comments on Salvador were helpful, thank you. Where did you acquire your Reals...before arriving? Your enthusiasm for Rio has us inspired - also a port of call but we have only booked for the Sugar Loaf excursion primarily due to cost....should we extend??

We ordered just 20 pounds of reals in the UK, but be sure to ask for the smallest notes they can get you. We intended to buy drinks in bars or cafes but because we set off so early in the morning we were back on board before we needed refreshments. You will need a few reals if you intend buying souveniers. You can get by with dollars, but you will be stung with the exchange rate.

For us Christ the Redeemer was a must. We booked the ship excursion on line early at a cost of 109 pounds each and they were selling it on board at 149 euros. People who were staying in Rio post cruise said they hadn't been able to match that price with other tour companies.

As to whether you should extend - it all depends on individual tastes - as you can see from my review for us Christ was more exciting and spectacular than Sugarloaf. Sugarloaf is the same whether looking at it or standing on it. Christ the Redeemer is very different close up to distant.

Hope that helps.

Yip, the trip report and pics are very helpful and in some ways reassuring. You have also sold Christ the Redeemer to the man in the panama hat!! Unfortunately, MSC seem to have dropped the combined Corcovada and Sugar Loaf tour. but I'm sure Christ the Redeemer will hold up on its own....just hope the weather is good. Your tip for the tram in Santa Cruz is one we shall follow up. Many thanks for your input, Ketut.

On a RCCL Vision of the Sea Brazil transatlantic, I found Salvador to be one of the scariest ports I have visited. The police were everywhere, with sub-machine guns and full sets of black body armor. I did not feel safe and after going into a bank, I returned to the ship, ASAP. Only do the official ship excursions, this was my mistake!

Have you tried ringing msc about a full day excursion to both Christ and Sugarloaf. We all know how bad the MSC web site is, and if the desire is there msc may reinstate the excursion. It is available on one of their other ships excursion list at 125 pounds next year

We just got back from the Venice to Buenos Aires cruise on MSC Poesia and if I remember correctly the tour was for both Sugar Loaf and Christ the Redeemer. Sugar Loaf was undergoing routine maintenance until the end of November so there was no access to the top level.

Thanks Mexico8, I shall take up the question with MSC. Did you call at Salvador? There seem to be mixed views on security; if you called, how did you feel? Any other comments on the cruise itself as this was exactly the same as our booking for April on the return leg? Views would be greatly appreciated.

• 1 month later...
Have you tried ringing msc about a full day excursion to both Christ and Sugarloaf. We all know how bad the MSC web site is, and if the desire is there msc may reinstate the excursion. It is available on one of their other ships excursion list at 125 pounds next year

We are leaving on a Celebrity cruise to Rio for Carnaval in a couple of weeks and a number of us have booked tours and carnaval tickets through We spend three days in Rio docked. https://www.dobrazilright.com.

They have a lot of options and seem very well organized with great English.

Edited by Lunenburg
spelling

Enjoy! Enjoy! Enjoy! I have spoken with MSC and they don't want to know joint excursion in Rio. Have booked Corcovado but will see whats available on board. 11 weeks and we fly out to BA to join the ship...can't wait....although after Mexico8's review of Poesia catering, think I will take my own sandwiches!!

Enjoy! Enjoy! Enjoy! I have spoken with MSC and they don't want to know joint excursion in Rio. Have booked Corcovado but will see whats available on board. 11 weeks and we fly out to BA to join the ship...can't wait....although after Mexico8's review of Poesia catering, think I will take my own sandwiches!!
We feel the same way about our upcoming Rio to Venice cruise on the Musica. We're always excited about our cruises, but feeling a bit underwhelmed in the run up to our first MSC cruise.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk