Jewel of the sea vs oasis western Mediterranean

We are between the two ships for an Italy/Spain cruise. We can only see jult 2019 so we are using this to try to decide which ship and ports. Both we are planning out of Rome but wondered if the cost difference between the two ships is worth going on Oasis. We have never been to any of the ports on either (never been to Spain or Italy) and would like to hear opinions if it is worth the extra cost. We tend to try and wander ports on our own or booking our own excursions. I am hesitant with the oasis class because of the size and so many people. I am also reading you have to book shows on Oasis. Is that also true on Jewel. We have only cruised with Carnival and the largest has been Legend. Opinions please!

There are no show reservations on Jewel. The ship is small enough that two performances per evening will accommodate all the guests.

A Med cruise is very port intensive, so I'd say the bells and whistles on the ship are much less important in that case. Additionally, Jewel has much better visibility to the outside than Oasis.

Just my personal opinion - but I think a Med cruise would be great - but I can't believe that you could get much sightseeing done in the ports. If I took a Med Cruise - it would be mainly for the ship- the cities I have really wanted to explore - we do with land vacations

Wjy should someone from the US do a Med cruise mainly for the ship? Of course you can see a lot from the cities while in port. It is just a little stressful in some big cities so I prefer the smaller ships and cities (e.g. Villefranche but not Marseilles).

I have pulled off the ports and listed them below. For once I think Oasis has the edge with Naples. I loved Vesuvius and Pompeii.

I would like to go to Corsica though. I think it depends on what you are looking for. Florence and Pisa are a long coach trip away but probably amazing ( we didn’t go)

Barcelona is a beautiful city and no distance from the cruise port and you get that either way.

Jewel

Sea day

Cartagena, Spain

Barcelona, Spain

Palma De Mallorca, Spain

Ajaccio, Corsica

Portofino, Italy

Oasis

Naples (Capri), Italy

Sea day

Barcelona, Spain

Palma De Mallorca, Spain

Marseille, France

Florence/Pisa (La Spezia) Italy

We have been on both Jewel and oasis. We thought we would try a mega ship and we did not like it at all. there were too many people it wasn’t very personal there wasn’t enough used to the outside. We loved the jewel big enough but yet small enough to get personal attention and meet lots of other people. We will never go on A ship the size of the oasis again!!

Though the smaller-mid size ships can more easily make it into ports on windy days and so would normally get my vote (after us being on a large ship of a different line and having 2 ports canceled due to winds), but in the case of your itinerary options, I’d go Oasis. The Jewel itin is more for people who have done the regular Med ports already. Naples is the gateway to the Amalfi Coast, Barcelona is vibrant and beautiful to explore, you get Provence in France and Florence and Pisa are so interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums