UK traveller booking MSC through US site...advice please

alibabaxx

Hi all

Looking to book the new Seaview for next October from Barcelona. Looking through US sites the prices are much cheaper than any UK site. (plus onboard credit)... this includes the US MSC site direct compared to the MSC UK site.

I'm very tempted to book. Has any UK resident had experience of booking through an online US travel agent from back in the UK? Some site prices are also for UK residents, however some site prices are specific for US residents... MSC themselves state prices are for US residents only.... but would there be a problem if a UK resident booked ?

Edited by alibabaxx

There are people who have done it but not sure how, plus if you have to cancel you will not be covered by European laws etc, also you are not allowed to mention TA names on CC, just a bit of friendly advice to stop you getting a warning for it ... :)

There are people who have done it but not sure how, plus if you have to cancel you will not be covered by European laws etc, also you are not allowed to mention TA names on CC, just a bit of friendly advice to stop you getting a warning for it ... :)

Oops Ok thank you... I'll edit ;)

How do you mean not covered by European laws? I take it I would be covered by my own holiday insurance if had to cancel through illness etc... anyway? If I also booked with a credit card I should be covered if the company went 'bump'? :)

No idea if your holiday Insurance would cover you with a booking not made in the UK. It might be worth checking before booking.

The likes of Abta would likely not cover bookings made in the USA.

And as Bea says the cost may not include port charges.

When I get to final payment it states includes government taxes?

Sounds like that would be the total price, so. I really don't know anything about this, though.

We tend to forget on this side of the pond that the price quoted in the US isn't the same as the (final) price you pay. I much prefer our system where taxes, etc are included in the price.

I use the msc USA website as I live in Canada. So I can’t comment on your initial question just on some of the comments about what is included in the USA site price. The initial per person prices you see do not include the port fees. It usually says what they are though. But if you start to make a booking the final price does include taxes and port fees.

My suggestion would be to find a good TA who is able to do better than the price you see on msc’s website and who can answer your questions. I’d also check that you insurance will cover the trip otherwise you’ll need to factor the price of purchasing additional insurance into your cruise price. Depending on the difference between the uk and USA site it may not end up significantly cheaper. In that case if it was me I’d purchase from the place that was going to make it easiest for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some years ago booked through a well known US agent, we had no problems an our insurance covered us but not ABTA etc. The key is the exchange rate, companies may quote on line in pounds, but they will want paying in dollars, so depends how the exchange rate goes

Hi all

Looking to book the new Seaview for next October from Barcelona. Looking through US sites the prices are much cheaper than any UK site. (plus onboard credit)... this includes the US MSC site direct compared to the MSC UK site.

I'm very tempted to book. Has any UK resident had experience of booking through an online US travel agent from back in the UK? Some site prices are also for UK residents, however some site prices are specific for US residents... MSC themselves state prices are for US residents only.... but would there be a problem if a UK resident booked ?

If you need a USA address you can use BUNDLEBOX and get an address from them

Pete