Euro's or Not.......

Kwilson51

For our upcoming cruise to the Greek Islands, Kotor and Dubrovnik.....Do I need to get Euro's or is an american credit/debit card good enough? I do know that in Dubrovnik, they only take their currency that I can get from an ATM on the island....any suggestions?

Personally I would get some euros, I would not want to be paying for just a coffee or a bottle of water on my card. We usually have our credit card for any big expenses but use euros otherwise.

Some euros in your pocket would be a very wise move.

Perhaps a few Croatian kuna too, though we've had euros happily accepted (have things changed I the last 12 months?).

Euros are very much the reserve currency to carry in European countries that aren't in Euroland.

JB :)

We brought Euros, but in Croatia the currency is Kunas......but they do accept Euros and credit cards as well. Get a credit card (such as Capital One and now most Citibank cards) that don't charge a 'foreign transaction fee' to convert from foreign currencies into USD! We used our Capital One and it worked beautifully.

• 2 weeks later...

I think almost any new card worth getting nowadays come with no foreign transaction fees. Why bother with having one that is so greedy to charge a fee?

Also, make sure that you get a PIN from your credit card company (no, not for using as cash advance at ATM but for pure credit transactions at non-attended machines like tickets at train station)

Bus in Dubrovinik wil linsist on Kuna. Everyone else will gladly accept Euro at rate favorable to them.

Also, make sure to decline offer of conversion to USD at the time of any credit transaction. It is a path to legal ripoff (google DCC - dynamic currency conversion for more info on this scam).

By the way, usual question is "do I need Kuna in Crotaia or Euro be ok?" Answer is advisable to use local ATM to take out some kuna. Trying to do a trip through European countries without some euro on you - while theoretically possible, certainly not wise.