Best Inside Cabins Nieuw Amsterdam?

antoniusp

Hullo all

Looking for assistance in ensuring booking the best available inside cabin. Going through comments via the forum there are a number of inside cabins which are beset by banging noises - are these problems confined to certain decks/cabins?

Any feedback appreciated.

Hullo all

Looking for assistance in ensuring booking the best available inside cabin. Going through comments via the forum there are a number of inside cabins which are beset by banging noises - are these problems confined to certain decks/cabins?

We were on the Eurodam (sister ship to Nieuw Amsterdam) in May and our kids were in an inside cabin. They were in one of the "J" cabins on the Main Deck. The "J" cabins on the main deck are larger. They didn't have any noise issues. As a matter of fact it was more spacious than the cabin my husband and I had - a verandah on deck 4. The bathroom only had a shower but the sink/vanity area was much larger. Also, they had a nice size corner sectional and more floor space than in our cabin. You can look at the deck plans online and that gives you a good indication of the layout. We had trouble waking them up in the morning :D and they said they slept really well! We are currently booked on one of the smaller "S" class ships, the Veendam, and they have an "A" deck below the Main deck with cabins and I have read there is a lot of banging in that lower "A" deck. We made sure to pick interior cabins on the Main deck for that cruise.:rolleyes:

diane

The J- and K-category cabins on Main Deck are the large ones. The K-category are quite far back, and are under the galley. The J-cabins are well-placed fore-to-aft. Be careful of which one you choose, however. The closer to mid-ship, the quieter the areas above. If you choose a connecting cabin the beds are arranged so that there's more space alongside them (however, it's impossible to watch TV from them).

The J-category cabins on higher decks are not as large; neither are the Ks. I believe there are similarly large I-category cabins on a high deck, but don't recall which one. Someone else may know.

I have stayed in a J- on Main twice on the Noordam, on the Westerdam, and on the E-dam. As you can see, I like the location.

Hullo all

J's or K's on Deck 1. Just look at a deck plan and make sure you aren't under the Northern Lights (unless you're the type that likes to close it down every night) and if under the Queen's Lounge, make sure you aren't the type that would go to bed before 11:30-midnight due to occasional night performances of the HAL Cats

I'm going to be in K-1115 on the Main Deck of N.A. soon. Hopefully the noise from the galley above won't be too loud. Maybe I should have requested a "J".

Your cabin is aft of the aft elevators. You'll be under the lower level of the dining room. There shouldn't be much---if any---noise from there.

Other than a very long walk home at night (assuming you go to anything other than the Explorers Lounge), your cabin is fine (with me, anyway).

Eurodam Nov 2008 in J1043. Westerdam Nov 2009 in J1043. Nieuw Am. 12/5/10 for one week in J1049. Each time sister and her family were next door. 2 adults and 2 kids under age 6. Plenty of space even with stroller and play pen. Did not hear any sounds from anywhere. Pitch dark when lights are off which is great for napping in the afternoon. Even top bunk bed is comfy. I can sit up and not hit my head but I'm 5'2. Sister said inside is bigger than the Princess inside.

We like the size and space. Will continue inside cabins until kids can't fit anymore - hahahahah.

Near elevator but can't hear anything. We can walk upstairs to MDR. We can walk one flt down to get off the ship. Elevator there to get to 9th floor for Lido. We like this side better than the even number side, maybe since we are used to the configuration.

I spent 2 weeks on the ship researching all cabin types from suites. veranda to inside to inside LARGE. There are only 24 J cabins on the main deck. However, I discovered that even in this J cat. there are 3

configurations .:confused:

You do not want to get a J that can be connected.. as its 180 degrees off kilter and you will be sleeping transverse to the axis of the ship... which makes any movment feel abnormal.

J cabins on the other decks are not good.... NOT laidout as well...:(

Port or Starbord ? Starboard is the best because it is on the same side for direct accesss to gangway, tour desk, front desk, .... perfect location. Quiet, great bathroom, perfect in every respect...it felt like a Regent cabin.....really.

I was in J1053...:D:D:D.. and frankly loved it way more then the tiny-tiny veranda or the faux suites. The over size closets, the almost seperate bedroom, the huge floor space the whole layout was, well outstanding... you could have 6 people in there and no one would be in anyones way... no closet/bathroom /front door complex like in the outside or veranda "tunnels"

I consider it the best value and comfort on the ship.... forget the veranda/suite.... I will be spending 30 days in it in a few months.... I cancelled my veranda for the MED....

To me spending more and getting way less would be oh so foolish....in 60 seconds you can be darn near anywhere as opposed to the fore and aft regions....

Your cabin is aft of the aft elevators. You'll be under the lower level of the dining room. There shouldn't be much---if any---noise from there.

Other than a very long walk home at night (assuming you go to anything other than the Explorers Lounge), your cabin is fine (with me, anyway).

Ruth, I'm actually looking forward to the long walk home. It will help me work off my dinner!

You do not want to get a J that can be connected.. as its 180 degrees off kilter and you will be sleeping transverse to the axis of the ship... which makes any movment feel abnormal.

I most heartily disagree with this. I have stayed in both the connecting, and non-connecting J-cabins on Main Deck. The connecting cabins, as you say, have the bed set up so that you sleep across the axis of the ship, but I find those cabins better than the ones where the bed is running lengthwise to the ship. There is a great deal more walking space on the sides of the beds as they are set up in connecting cabins.

The only down-side to them, imo, is that you can't watch TV from the bed---at least on the Vista ships, you can't. On the E-dam, the TV was attached to the wall, but had an extender so that it could be pulled out and turned. I don't know how it's set on the Nieuw Amsterdam.

Port or Starbord ? Starboard is the best because it is on the same side for direct accesss to gangway, tour desk, front desk, .... perfect location.

I agree that starboard is preferable over port, but not for the reasons given. The Front Desk is on port side, and the gangway could be on either side. In either case, though, it's merely a matter of a few feet.

The reason starboard is preferable is because it is not under the Northern Lights Disco, which can be loud until late in the night. The beat can reverberate down on port side.

The reason starboard is preferable is because it is not under the Northern Lights Disco, which can be loud until late in the night. The beat can reverberate down on port side.

Sweetheart - If you'd simply stay up late and play with us, Scotty and I wouldn't keep you awake till the wee hours!

(Oh wait - That doesn't quite make sense, does it?)

;)

Sweetheart - If you'd simply stay up late and play with us, Scotty and I wouldn't keep you awake till the wee hours!

(Oh wait - That doesn't quite make sense, does it?)

;)

Brian, dahling, you know that I'm a daughter of darkness, but the Northern Lights is just too darned loud. I don't want to go deaf!

Come with me to the Piano Bar for another round of "Stump the Piano Player".

New New Amsterdam layout sounds different from toy prior experience....

There was way less floor space in the connecting cabins....honestly

Bed was smack dab when you came in.... hard to use closets,

TV on the Amsterdam was on a neat swivel and the location of the corner sectional sofa totaly different.... less comfortable from my perspective.

When you open the cabin door ...bings your are staring at the bed

In the non conecting it is wonderfully secluded from noise light, comings and goings into the bathroom, or out the cabin door....

To me having 2 to 3 feet on each side of the bed was fine... more than I had in a veranda !!!! and the chair by the closet serves as a great dressing area.

THE NON CONNECTION Cabin IS ,TO ME, WAY MORE PRIVATE AND ELEGANT than the connecting.... I enjoy freedom and privacy and space.

Archived