Princess Perks vs Royal Caribbean

octoberdana

We have sailed on both lines several times. Platinum with RC and Ruby with Princess. I like the platinum because it gets us a shorter line for check in and buy one get one half price photo. Other than that, we don't use any of the perks. Princess Ruby gets you the upgraded vacation insurance, if you buy the Princess coverage.

Princess is more laid back while RC is more active. We are in our late 50s and like both. I would try different lines and find the one that works for you. Keep in mind that the line of choice may change depending on where you sail.

It's not worth getting all wound up in perks, stocks, etc. Just pick a vacation and enjoy it!

Yes true $7000 to get $100 OBC. Not cost effective for us.

I'm not trying to talk you into anything as investing is a very personal thing but here is something to consider when thinking about purchasing CCL stock to be able to get the OBC.

Let's say you purchase 100 share of Carnival stock today. Right now that stock is trading at $66.70/share so that will cost you $6670. Let's say you go on 1 cruise a year that is 1 week long. That will mean you will get $100 worth of IBC. Let us also suppose that Carnival pays the same dividend each quarter that it did this year ($.40/share.) (For comparison, in 2015 it paid $.30/share and in 2016 it paid $.35/share) So you will also earn a bit over $160 for the next year. That can be taken as cash or used to build your stock you own, your choice. So, now you've increased your income from owning the stock by 160% over what you what you thought you had. Could the stock go down? Yes, it could. But anything can happen. One other thing you could possibly do would be to purchase the stock within a Roth retirement fund so that future growth could be part of your retirement!

As I said at the start, I'm not trying to talk you in to anything, just trying to present you with some points about which you might not have thought. I'm happy that the stock price has gone from $48.20/share when I bought my 100 shares to the $66.70 it's worth right now. I just wish I'd done it prior to when I did.

Which ever way you go on this, I hope you have a great cruise and have many more happy ones to follow!

Tom

I just don't feel that Royal Caribbean is as good as Princess, with the exception of entertainment. Dining room food IMHO not as good, ditto for buffet which in addition to the food not as good is only open certain hours around meal times, not continuously as on Princess. The Promenade Cafe is no where near the quality of the International Cafe, nor is the pizzeria. Drinks are much more expensive on Royal Caribbean. And way more kids on board Too!

We sail Royal Caribbean when cruising with family with kids, but for us hands down Princess!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums