Smuggling Vs Buying?

Kevbear

Since this is our virgin trip (and we would like to get some fresh feedback on the Summit) like was it a mistake to get a RS on our first cruise... Everyone seems to be chatting about bringing a bottle or two onboard but when looking at the pre-cruise things we can order for the cabin there are all sorts of spirits that we can buy to have ready when we board. So if [color=blue][b]X [/b][/color][color=black]is selling you bottles for your pre-dinner cocktails then they must not be too strick on the you bringing a decent scotch onboard? Feedback from you veterans would be great on this and any other Summit tips![/color]
Kevin

Hi, Kevin - Yes, it was a mistake to book a Royal Suite on your first cruise - you'll be spoiled for any other cabin from now on! :D Seriously, obviously you've decided that you can afford it and you'll really enjoy the suite services, the butler, having a separate living/dining area in case one of you wants to sleep in or nap during the day, the nicer bathroom...

As you browse these boards you'll see lots of discussion about bringing on your own wine, liquor and other drinks. Celebrity officially allows you to bring on your wine and champagne, and will charge a corkage fee if you want to have it at dinner. There's no charge if you just enjoy it in your room. The Celebrity official policy is that you can't bring on liquor, but plenty of people do. Some may do it for cost savings; others may do it in order to have the wine/beer/liquor/soft drink they prefer. Personally, I'm not going to lug aboard some bottles of wine or liquor when Celebrity has a good wine and liquor selection at reasonable, hotel-like prices, but to each his or her own!

I do agree that I would much rather buy licquor for cabin consumption from X than lug my own, but $50 for one bottle of Beefeater seems a bit out of line, do either of you know the size of the bottle? That would make a difference. thanks suej

We always enjoy having a few drinks in the cabin before dinner since it is such a long process with only one bathroom. We used to go to the gift shop to buy a bottle but then we were on a few cruises where they told us we couldn't take it back to our cabin. At that point we started bringing a bottle for incabin consumption. :)

Well we also spoiled ourselves our first cruise (Well first Celebrity Cruise) with an RS but the price was incredibly low!! Don't worry about it, enjoy your room and most of all enjoy the trip!!

The bottles sold in the Duty Free Shop are FULL SIZED, not the puny 1 oz and 2 oz you get on airplanes. The official word is that any liquor purchased in the duty-free shop is for post-cruise consumption, i.e. they will give your bottle when you leave so you can drink on the way home :eek:. However, we have bought several bottles of alcohol to drink in the cabin, and the crew seems to have no problem with it -- just be nice to the person in the shop and ask about some of the more exotic liquors they have, they always seem to be starved for something to do in that shop. In my experience they've never had any problem with me taking a purchased bottle back to my cabin. Enjoy your cruise!!!! :D

Just called [b]X[/b] and their bottle size that we can pre-buy for our room is 750ml at $50. for Stoli which might sound high to some but not that bad compared to our Oregon state bottle price amounts, and saves us some luggage space! Thanks for your replies;)

Kevin

Celebrity's policy is that they have the right to restrict the amount and type of alcohol brought on board by guests for personal consumption.
Unofficially, do not put it in your initial carryon, pack it in your luggage. we travel from west coast to east so we wait to purchase till we are at the departure port/city.
We usually bring a fifth of ketel one, a tenth of vermouth, a fifth of brandy, a bottle of port, and half a dozen bottles of champagne. In room pre dinner or nightcap consumption only. we spend plenty in the bars, I just like to drink the brands l like when i want them.

Archived