Welcome To Viking Oceans !

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Viking Ocean
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 10:30 AM.
Mill Creek, WA
168 Posts
Joined Apr 2013
She's in the water!

Viking Cruises' inaugural ocean ship – the 930-passenger Viking Star – was floated out at a ceremony in Italy

http://www.usatoday.com/story/cruise...loat/11348183/

http://timespentatsea.blogspot.com/2...oated-out.html
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Bob & Margie:
2020 Tauck China, the Yangtze River& Hong Kong
2019 Tauck Blue Danube
9/18' Viking Sea Sept 18th Montreal to New York
3/18' Viking Sea Mar 17th San Juan to San Juan
8/16' Viking Sea Aug 23rd Venice to Barcelona
9/15' Viking Star Sept 27th Venice to Istanbul
8/13' Viking Rinda Aug 17th Basel to Amsterdam
8/09' Norwegian Pearl 7 day - Glacier Bay

Cape Cod, MA
204 Posts
Joined May 2013
Hallelujah! Last thing I saw, they were dropping an engine into a bare-steel hull module. Now, seemingly overnight, she's intact and afloat :-)
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
SS America 1957 (eastbound crossing)
SS United States 1960 (westbound crossing)
Royal Viking Star 1977
NCL to Baja California 1990, 1992
Viking Star Maiden, 2015
Viking Sky, Bergen-Montreal, 09/2017

1,731 Posts
Joined Jun 2013
In one of the links the chairman of Viking said she would be christened May 17th next year - is it normal to do this after the maiden cruise has initiated? We depart Barcelona May 2nd, and others begin in April......
Cape Cod, MA
204 Posts
Joined May 2013
Originally posted by Vineyard View
In one of the links the chairman of Viking said she would be christened May 17th next year - is it normal to do this after the maiden cruise has initiated? We depart Barcelona May 2nd, and others begin in April......
Yeah. The official christening will take place when she reaches Bergen the first time. They want to christen her in her Nordic roots. She's being built in Venice. They'll do a shakedown or two, probably with travel agents on board, to get her to Istanbul, then the Maiden Voyage begins there, wends its way through the Adriatic and Mediterranean then up the coast of Europe etc.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Royal Viking Star 1977
Viking Star Maiden, 2015

1,731 Posts
Joined Jun 2013
That makes sense! We have 2 nights in Bergen - does this mean that we will be able to experience the christening first hand as passengers - and if so does anyone know what that experience would be like? Worth staying around for, or using that time exploring Bergen? Thank you!
Plainview, NY
5 Posts
Joined Jul 2014
Hi Andy:

My husband, Dennis, and I just booked on the Viking Sky-Mediterranean Odyssey for 09-04-16! We put down our small deposit on July 5th. Remainder is due Dec. 17, 2014-OUCH!

We are recent converts to cruising. Our first ever cruise was this June on the Viking Spirit from Paris through the Heart of Normandy. We met Sherry & her brother, Ed on this cruise. They were seasoned travelers. Sherry told me they booked the Viking Sky's Mediterranean Odyssey for 2015. When we heard Barcelona, Croatia and Venice, we were hooked.
Kathy
1 Posts
Joined Sep 2014
We are taking the Viking Rhine Getaway on Oct25 from Amsterdam to Basel. We are interested in spending a few days in Zurich on our return and have our airfare on our own. Can you please suggest how to get to Zurich on our dis-embarkation on Nov 1? Thank you.

Sent from my iPad using Forums
southeast USA
278 Posts
Joined Dec 2006
Hello All,
We are booked on our first Viking Cruise this summer and I was pleasantly surprised to receive $200 back on my credit card (after our cruise was booked and totally paid for ) by using a referral from a friend.

If you are interested in receiving a discount and need a referral customer number, you are welcome to contact your travel agent with our names, Rhonda and Tom Bovine, Viking Customer Number #1325098851

We will also receive credits for a future Viking cruise if you contact them.

Can't hurt to contact your travel agent and give her the information and you are welcome to share this information with your family & friends to receive the discount as well. Let me know if you choose to participate, happy cruising! My email is [email protected] Thanks!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
[email protected]

Upcoming: Holland America Koningsdam Norway 2018

Viking Kvasir (Rhine River Cruise) 2015
Holland America Maasdam (Canada/New England) 2012
Golden Princess (Hawaii) 2010
NCL Gem (The Mediterranean) 2009
Crown Princess (Deep Southern Carribean) 2008
NCL Pride of America (Hawaii) 2007
RCCL Adventure of Seas (S. Carribean) 2006
Carnival Imagination (W. Carribean) 2002
HAL Statendam (E Carribean) 1997
Disney Cruise (Bahamas) 1996
RCCL Legend of Seas (Alaska) 1994
RCCL Majesty of Seas (Key West) 1993
NCL (SanDiego, Catalina) 1991
Emerald of Seas (Bahamas) 1986
southeast USA
278 Posts
Joined Dec 2006
Originally posted by toninwa
We are taking the Viking Rhine Getaway on Oct25 from Amsterdam to Basel. We are interested in spending a few days in Zurich on our return and have our airfare on our own. Can you please suggest how to get to Zurich on our dis-embarkation on Nov 1? Thank you.

Sent from my iPad using Forums
Hi toninwa,
We are doing the Rhine Getaway in July and will be flying home out of Zurich also. I was able to get a direct from Zurich to Atlanta so that was the best route for us. We are planning to take the train from Basel to Zurich and have booked the Radisson Blu hotel which is the only hotel located on the Zurich airport campus, so it will not require any taxi, etc the morning of our flight. The train runs hourly and I think it will be a breeze as it goes directly to the airport. Here is the link http://www.sbb.ch/en/home.html

Hope this helps.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
[email protected]

Upcoming: Holland America Koningsdam Norway 2018

Viking Kvasir (Rhine River Cruise) 2015
Holland America Maasdam (Canada/New England) 2012
Golden Princess (Hawaii) 2010
NCL Gem (The Mediterranean) 2009
Crown Princess (Deep Southern Carribean) 2008
NCL Pride of America (Hawaii) 2007
RCCL Adventure of Seas (S. Carribean) 2006
Carnival Imagination (W. Carribean) 2002
HAL Statendam (E Carribean) 1997
Disney Cruise (Bahamas) 1996
RCCL Legend of Seas (Alaska) 1994
RCCL Majesty of Seas (Key West) 1993
NCL (SanDiego, Catalina) 1991
Emerald of Seas (Bahamas) 1986
Southern California
3,589 Posts
Joined May 2009
Originally posted by Host Andy
Hi Everyone,

Welcome to the Viking Oceans Forum. I'm pleased to have the honor of the first post !

Host Faith & I will be moderating this forum. We look forward to discussing all things Viking Oceans, as they prepare for the launch of Viking Star in April 2015. I'd like to wish everyone at Viking Oceans all the very best of success in their new venture.

If there's anything I can do to assist, you are always welcome to email me by clicking on the link below. Thanks very much, and enjoy the forum !
Is there a forum for Viking River Cruises?

Thanks
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Favorite place to view cabin pictures:
Holland America + Cabin Pictures

December 13, 2015 Veendam Mexican Rivera
March 14, 2015 Veendam Mexican Rivera
January 10, 2013 Veendam Antarctica
July 22, 2011 Sailing the Tall Ship Californian
August 9, 2010 Amsterdam 14 days Alaska Itinerary
June 23, 2009 (Alaska RT Vancouver) Volendam
September 6, 2008 (Alaska: Gulf Crossing) Volendam
Encino, CA
979 Posts
Joined Mar 2009
Originally posted by TiogaCruiser
Is there a forum for Viking River Cruises?

Thanks
There is a forum for RIVER CRUISES, but no separate one for Viking.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
[email protected]

FUTURE CRUISES
Viking Sky - Bergen to Reykjavik - 8-2019
Regent Explorer - Cape Town to Cape Town - 12-2018
Silver Cloud Expedition - Ushuaia to Ushuaia - 2-2018

PAST CRUISES
Oceania Marina - London to London - 8-2017
Viking Star - Puerto Rico to Puerto Rico - 2-2017
Oceania Marina - Amsterdam to Barcelona - 9-2016
Oceania Marina - Sydney to Auckland - 2-2016
Viking Star - Venice to Istanbul - 9-2015
Oceania Marina - New York to Montreal 5-2015
Viking Njord - Budapest to Prague - 8-2014
Viking Emerald - Shanghai to Beijing - 4-2014
Silversea Whisper - Hong Kong to Singapore - 2-2013
Regent Voyager - Stockholm to Copenhagen - 7-2012
Regent Mariner - Barcelona to Rome - 5-2011
Regent Mariner - Istanbul to Athens - 8-2010
Regent Mariner - Alaska 8-2009
Carnival cruise to Mexico - 2000
Disney cruise to the Bahamas - 1989
wheaton, il
4 Posts
Joined May 2013
Hello, Everyone--We are cruising on the Viking Star from Istanbul to Barcelona departing 11 April 2015 from Istanbul. Leaving on Monday for a few days in Turkey before the cruise begins. Anybody else booked on this cruise??
Sharon and Steve Illinois
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Cape Cod, MA
204 Posts
Joined May 2013
Tons of us; Penny and I are sharing those 2 legs with you, a bunch of crazies are doing the full 50 days. Look around in the threads for the ones that relate,m it's sort of chaotic in here :-)

There's gonna be an informal get-together of CC people at 4PM the day we sail at the Aquavit Terrace on the stern of Deck 7. Look for a couple tables with "Cruise Critic" placards on them, someone's gonna try to hold them :-)

See ya soon!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Royal Viking Star 1977
Viking Star Maiden, 2015

Saint Paul
14 Posts
Joined Sep 2015
Hello, everyone!

My husband, mom, sister and I will be travelling on the Mediterranean Christmas Cruise Dec 22-30 2015, and are very excited to be trying out the Viking line for the first time.

From the basic research I've done and from reading reviews and posts on this site, it looks like we will be quite a bit younger than the average cruiser for this line. I even asked when booking if there are any age restrictions To be honest, I am a little nervous! I know we won't be a bother since we are definitely not a rowdy group.

I would sincerely appreciate any help in making excursion decisions if anyone has any opinions. Is there a forum here that I can check for reviews?

Looking forward to "getting to know" all of you!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Maryland
5,002 Posts
Joined Mar 2004
Hi. I haven't been on Star yet, so can only offer a few comments which hopefully will allay your fears that you will be bored to tears, stick out like sore thumbs, or any other thing that will be a bummer. However, here goes:

You might get more responses if you post a new thread asking your questions. This thread is pretty old and many people may not be following it.

You may get some input if you go to the Reviews section of Cruise Critic (look way up top), pull up Viking Star reviews, and look to see if people have reviewed the excursions. I haven't looked at the reviews in at least a month, but when I did, there were some - not a lot, but some! (Where do you go on the Christmas cruise, anyway? If by chance it's Istanbul to Venice I can point you to a great thread.)

It might be helpful to go to the Ports of Call section of Cruise Critic (way down below), as people often ask about what to do in each port, give opinions, etc. Trust me, other than the excursions which Viking has lined up as a special deal (and there are some of those - not something you can do on your own, and perhaps a first for a cruise line) the excursions Viking lines up will probably be similar to many that other cruise lines line up. Also, there are a few "cruise" books out there that have descriptions of basic excursions, which may give you ideas.

As to Star passengers being an older crowd, yes, from what I've read, it's definitely that. I think even I may find myself younger than most. However, you may find at least some people your age. You'll also (hopefully) find that age doesn't seem to matter that much, and that you can talk to and get along with most people on the ship, even if you're a lot younger. My husband and I are in our 60s but we've met many wonderful people while cruising, young and old, and gotten along with almost all of them. We think it's more important to find people we're compatible with than it is to find people who are our own age. We might not feel comfortable on a Carnival ship, and we might not feel comfortable on a Cunard or Seabourn ship, but not because of the age differences so much as other differences. I think you'll be fine, and have a wonderful cruise. If not, you have your own little group to fall back on, in the unlikely event you don't feel comfortable with whoever's on the ship with you!

Will you be bored? Well, I suppose it's possible, as the entertainment on Star is not like the entertainment on some of the other bigger, more mainstream lines. Also, on the walking tours, you may get a little bored, as the local guides (at least on Viking River Cruise tours) seem to want to tell you every little minute detail of what you're viewing, which is sometimes too much for me. As for the evenings, if you do a good amount of sightseeing during the day and have a nice dinner, you may find you don't need a lot of entertainment at night.

Will you be too rowdy? I doubt it. I would guess that there's room for at least a few party animals on every cruise ship or cruise line, and cruisers are generally a pretty outgoing, tolerant bunch! I'm assuming Viking Oceans passengers won't be different....

Hope that helps at least a little bit! Have a wonderful time and don't worry about a thing!
Saint Paul
14 Posts
Joined Sep 2015
Thank you for your thoughtful reply! I didn't even consider checking by ports to see if some of our excursion options are there. Great idea!

I know we are going to have an awesome trip. What drew us to this cruise line was the excellent port options, as well as the availability to get away over Christmas not necessarily for entertainment. I will be happy as a clam sitting in a hot tub during our spare time, if we have it!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Staten Island NY
2,160 Posts
Joined Feb 2007
I went to the Viking Oceans website, final payment for 2017 is now June 30. 2016. My confirmation for a 7/1/2017 cruise showed 12/31/2015. Guess all the complaints about way early payment had a result. Waiting word from my TA as to what my payment date is.
358 Posts
Joined Feb 2006
Andy,
As of today, The Viking Sea sailing for June 5, 2017 does not have a sign up for the Mix and Mingle party. Several people including me have sent emails to contact us and received an automated message that did not include any info for the situation.
Please let me know how to go forward so I can post it on the Viking Sea forum. It still include passengers that are sailing on the June 19 leg of the cruise and that date has a sign up for the party.
thanks,
janines
Boston MA
6,285 Posts
Joined Dec 2006
Originally posted by janines
Andy,
As of today, The Viking Sea sailing for June 5, 2017 does not have a sign up for the Mix and Mingle party. Several people including me have sent emails to contact us and received an automated message that did not include any info for the situation.
Please let me know how to go forward so I can post it on the Viking Sea forum. It still include passengers that are sailing on the June 19 leg of the cruise and that date has a sign up for the party.
thanks,
janines
Oops, wrong date. Should be June 5, 2016--and there are many other dates as well that are missing from the list. Maybe that is why it is taking CC so long to fix it.
MI
4 Posts
Joined May 2017
We are booked on a cruise out of London on July 9. I had what I thought was a simple question about boarding. I left it on voice mail at the phone number on the website but did not get a reply. I sent it to an agent I had dealt with in the past but got a message that she was away. I left it on the contact us form on the website and got a promise of a reply in two business days but no answer.

I hope the service on the ship is better than this.

Can you tell me how to get a question answered?