Speaker Volume Crown Princess

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 09:04 AM.
#1
Sacramento Area, CA
1,129 Posts
Joined Jun 2011
Recent cruise on Crown - Med April 28. The sound level during Muster was painfully high in Explorer lounge. Most of the people there were wincing with fingers in their ears.


Also unnecessarily high in Atrium and other areas. Wheelhouse has a corner near the entrance, which could, should be a quiet area to have a drink and a chat - but it has an overly loud speaker relaying the entertainment. We enjoy the Atrium entertainment but feel that it does not need to be so loud three floors up in Crooners !
#2
South Florida
5,589 Posts
Joined Apr 2011
Originally posted by Tedferg
Also unnecessarily high in Atrium and other areas. Wheelhouse has a corner near the entrance, which could, should be a quiet area to have a drink and a chat - but it has an overly loud speaker relaying the entertainment. We enjoy the Atrium entertainment but feel that it does not need to be so loud three floors up in Crooners !
Volume in the Piazza has been climbing and has reached new heights on the Royal-class ships. Complaints about which are the reason there is no Crooner's shown on the Sky Princess deck plans, as the limited hours Crooners operates on Royal and Regal due to so many other noisy activities necessitates relocating the piano bar entertainment elsewhere.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Debarking is a cruel procedure done to dogs.
Upgrades, Upsellls and Move Over Offers are completely different things.
As are being denied boarding and being disembarked early.
And don't get me started on Port Charges vs. Government Taxes, Fees, and Port Expenses.
The Jones Act is for cargo. The PVSA is "that terrible law" that restricts USA domestic sailings. But without which there would likely be no cruise ships with casinos, duty free shops, and international crew members willing to work fantastically hard every single day.
Lots of people fly in the morning of the cruise and catch crazy early flights home. Why ask us if you can? Just to be harassed by the regulars?
No hotels have free shuttles, free breakfast, free wifi, or free parking. You pay in the rate. And could have found a better deal paying by the piece.
And don't forget: the cruise line is in complete control of the weather, political unrest, medical emergencies, and anything else that delays or re-routes your cruise. Be sure to demand compensation as it is you and only you who were affected.
#3
Chico, California
10,996 Posts
Joined Sep 2012
On our cruise this March the CD announcements were waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay louder than any we have ever heard before. It was insane. I don't know if it's a new policy or just that the CD had no clue.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Thrak

Not Elite but having fun working on it...





#4
sw, Fl - Fort Myers Area
7,363 Posts
Joined Nov 2015
Welcome to the world of Princess entertainment.
There are no Princess venues that I know of that have reasonable levels of volume.
People have complained for year to no avail & I doubt if it'll get any better in the future.

Perhaps if someone were to file a lawsuit for hearing damage it might do some good but in the mean time bring earplugs like most other people have learned.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
S 645/72/826/90
#5
Minneapolis, MN
2,348 Posts
Joined Jan 2004
I’ve thought that the sound levels for entertainment have been increasing for some time now. On three cruises on the Royal and Regal the shows in the Princess theater have been so loud that I have been using ear plugs. After one loud evening show I went down to the atrium to see what was going on there. There was a band playing so loud that I couldn’t stand to stay and enjoy. There was a member of the cruise staff there and I tried to tell her that the sound level was too loud. She was pretty snotty about it and couldn’t understand me unless I YELLED very loud. She yelled back that it is not too loud.

On my last cruise a couple of months ago on the Caribbean Princess I took a sound meter with me. I measured parts of two shows in the Princess Theater. The sound level was very high. The average level was 94 dB with some sounds reaching 109 dB. Before retirement, at my work, if I was in an environment that was that loud I would be required to ware hearing protection.

I have asked others coming out of shows if they thought that the sound level was too high and almost all have said yes. I have complained to the cruise director once only to be rebuffed. No one else will complain. It’s getting more difficult to enjoy things on the ships with the sound levels increasing to these levels.

I hope someone from Princess is reading this because my upcoming cruise in December may very well be my last. AND YES THIS IS BECAUSE OF THE SOUND LEVEL EVERYWHERE. It’s not fun anymore.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
To see the Roll Call List click on the following link
Pacific Princess (Dec 2018) Roll Call: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing
- Gordon
#6
Vero Beach, Florida
633 Posts
Joined Oct 2005
Totally agree with the observations about high sound level -- perhaps the changing clientele is the reason but I know of no long term Princess loyalists who appreciate current sound levels. And as was previously said, too loud music and entertainment is yet another reason to stop cruising Princess, enough is enough.

John
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
#7
sw, Fl - Fort Myers Area
7,363 Posts
Joined Nov 2015
I don't ever recall a single person, either on the ship or posting on this board that said the sound was OK as is or it should be louder.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
S 645/72/826/90
#8
Minneapolis, MN
2,348 Posts
Joined Jan 2004
Because of the high sound levels of the Princess entertainment I think that Princess should change their slogan to “Come Back Deaf"
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
To see the Roll Call List click on the following link
Pacific Princess (Dec 2018) Roll Call: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing
- Gordon
#9
Sacramento Area, CA
1,129 Posts
Joined Jun 2011
Originally posted by fishywood
Complaints about which are the reason there is no Crooner's shown on the Sky Princess deck plans, as the limited hours Crooners operates on Royal and Regal due to so many other noisy activities necessitates relocating the piano bar entertainment elsewhere.
Where is the piano bar ? We really enjoy Crooners and we missed it on our one Celebrity cruise. Must say the Crooners on Regal was too noisy from Atrium and the bar felt disconnected from the main seating area.
#10
San Francisco
3,988 Posts
Joined Dec 2005
I'm somewhat hard of hearing but far from deaf. While I can understand movies shown in the Princess Theater, I find the sound on MUTS to be pretty abysmal, even if I seek out the acoustic sweet spot. Combined with the terrible condition of some of the screens, I've just given up.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
1/06 Westerdam -W. Caribbean * 1/07 Dawn Princess - Mexican Riviera * 1/08 Zuiderdam - E. Caribbean * 4/08 Celebrity Mercury - Alaska * 12/09 Crown Princess - W. Caribbean * 8/10 Sea Princess - Alaska * 1/11 Sapphire Princess - Mexican Riviera * 4/11 Island Princess - Panama full transit * 8/11 Sea Princess - Alaska * 2/12 Grand Princess - E. Caribbean * 4/12 Coral Princess - Panama full transit * 12/12 Star Princess - SFO to Buenos Aires * 4/13 Golden Princess - Hawaii * 10/13 Royal Princess - Venice to FLL * 2/14 Sapphire Princess - Mexican Riviera * 8/14 Star Princess - Alaska * 10/14 Victoria Anna - Yangtze River * 12/14 Coral Princess - Panama partial transit * 2/15 Star Princess - Sea of Cortez * 7/15 Diamond Princess - Japan * 11/15 Grand Princess - Hawaii * 9/16 Caribbean Princess - Southampton to New York * 1/17 Grand Princess - Mexican Riviera * 5/17 Celebrity Xpedition - Galapagos * 9/17 Grand Princess - Alaska * 10/17 Royal Princess - Barcelona to Fort Lauderdale * 2/18 Coral Princess - Panama Canal full transit * 7/18 - Grand Circle Adagio - Grand European Cruise * 10/18 Grand Princess - Northwest Coastal * 11/18 Prinsendam - Amazon Explorer
#11
the "wet" coast, BC, Canada
1,014 Posts
Joined Oct 2009
Gee, I thought it was just me getting older and cranky, lol. One cruise there was an entertainer, and I use that term loosely, who was so loud and obnoxious we couldn’t believe it. If someone was near the back trying to have a quiet conversation he would stop the show to yell out to them. One poor fellow was seated at a round table with his back partially to the piano and this “crooner” made him turn his chair to directly face him. Unfortunately for us our cabin was right above the venue and we could hear every shout and hammering he did on that piano. We did put in a complaint more than once and it the volume was reduced minimally.
As for relaxing around the pool during the day, quit doing that a long time ago due to the loudness from those giant speakers.
I scratch my head wondering what is trying to be accomplished by all the racket all day and night?


Sent from my iPad using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
#12
6,135 Posts
Joined Dec 2005
Originally posted by Tedferg
Recent cruise on Crown - Med April 28. The sound level during Muster was painfully high in Explorer lounge. Most of the people there were wincing with fingers in their ears.
And yet there are people here who think they will somehow be disturbed by cell phone notifications...
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App
#13
Tampa, Florida area
12,349 Posts
Joined Nov 2005
I hate it when the volume for MUTS is so loud that it bleeds thru into the adjacent pool areas. There's just no logical reason for audio to be that loud.
When MUTS first became available, I remember that they passed out earbuds for the audio ..... that was SO much better than the sound blast of nowdays.
#14
East Meadow, NY
1,156 Posts
Joined Feb 2009
Originally posted by TwoCruisers
I’ve thought that the sound levels for entertainment have been increasing for some time now. On three cruises on the Royal and Regal the shows in the Princess theater have been so loud that I have been using ear plugs. After one loud evening show I went down to the atrium to see what was going on there. There was a band playing so loud that I couldn’t stand to stay and enjoy. There was a member of the cruise staff there and I tried to tell her that the sound level was too loud. She was pretty snotty about it and couldn’t understand me unless I YELLED very loud. She yelled back that it is not too loud.

On my last cruise a couple of months ago on the Caribbean Princess I took a sound meter with me. I measured parts of two shows in the Princess Theater. The sound level was very high. The average level was 94 dB with some sounds reaching 109 dB. Before retirement, at my work, if I was in an environment that was that loud I would be required to ware hearing protection.

I have asked others coming out of shows if they thought that the sound level was too high and almost all have said yes. I have complained to the cruise director once only to be rebuffed. No one else will complain. It’s getting more difficult to enjoy things on the ships with the sound levels increasing to these levels.

I hope someone from Princess is reading this because my upcoming cruise in December may very well be my last. AND YES THIS IS BECAUSE OF THE SOUND LEVEL EVERYWHERE. It’s not fun anymore.
Just got off a B2B on the Caribbean Princess. I have been an entertainer for over 30 years; therefore, I have hearing loss. I asked the CD why the level was so high in the theater. I had to cover my ears several times. He gave me some BS that by "law" they are not allowed to have the sound too high. We had to watch the rest of the shows in another lounge where they were broadcast.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Greek Lines
Queen Anna Maria 7 days to Bermuda 1970
Italian Line
Leonardo da Vinci (TNTC), Michelangelo (twice) & Raffaello (Sister ships)
Celebrity Cruises
Meridian, Horizon, Zenith (2003 Bermuda ), Millennium, Mercury (2001 Trans Panama Cannel)
Constellation 2004
Crystal Cruises
Crystal Harmony - Trans Panama Cannel
Cunard Line
Queen Elizabeth II (Three times) - Trans Panama Cannel, Cunard Princess (TNTC), Sagafjord
Vistafjord
Holland America Line
Rotterdam, Statendam 2002 & Veendam
Home Lines
Oceanic (Three times), Doric & Homeric
Premier Cruise Line
Big Red Boat 1991
Norwegian Cruise Line
Dreamward & Seaward
Royal Caribbean International
Sovereign of the Seas & Explorer of the Seas 2007
Princess Cruises
Caribbean Princess 2008
Princess Cruises
Golden Princess - LA to Hawaii
#15
pa
7,858 Posts
Joined Dec 2007
Originally posted by Tedferg
Where is the piano bar ? We really enjoy Crooners and we missed it on our one Celebrity cruise. Must say the Crooners on Regal was too noisy from Atrium and the bar felt disconnected from the main seating area.
Sadly no Crooner's on the deck plans for the Sky Princess. This area is being filled by a misplaced French Bistro which should have been located elsewhere.
Best guesses for a piano bar entertainer, if any at all, is Princess Live providing it is configured into a lounge instead of a ridiculous TV studio, Crown Grill Bar where the entertainer will annoy those dining, or the Piazza.
#16
Sacramento Area, CA
1,129 Posts
Joined Jun 2011
Originally posted by sknight
Sadly no Crooner's on the deck plans for the Sky Princess. This area is being filled by a misplaced French Bistro which should have been located elsewhere.
Is the Sky aimed at regular Regal / Royal market ? I notice Majestic does not have a Crooners either.

As I mentioned before, we took one Celebrity cruise on Reflection and enjoyed it but public areas felt bitty. Atrium not as grand as on Princess and lots of 'specialty' bars but none that felt like Crooners on Grand class ships. Crooners feels like a hub to us, we see lots of 'regulars' there and smile and say Hello after a couple of days.
#17
Florida
1,402 Posts
Joined Jun 2010
crooners is usually our last stop of the day - my wifes 'Dunes' martini - and usually my scotch ... the only exception being if a certain 'entertainer' is there doing his version of karaoke

we'll miss it if we book the Sky...
#18
Sacramento Area, CA
1,129 Posts
Joined Jun 2011
Originally posted by voljeep
crooners is usually our last stop of the day - my wifes 'Dunes' martini - and usually my scotch ... the only exception being if a certain 'entertainer' is there doing his version of karaoke

we'll miss it if we book the Sky...
Would that be Kory Simon ?
#19
Florida
1,402 Posts
Joined Jun 2010
Originally posted by Tedferg
Would that be Kory Simon ?

ding, ding, ding !!! - he's just not our style - but I understand people who love him and people who walk out if he's there...
#20
Chico, California
10,996 Posts
Joined Sep 2012
Originally posted by shepp
I'm somewhat hard of hearing but far from deaf. While I can understand movies shown in the Princess Theater, I find the sound on MUTS to be pretty abysmal, even if I seek out the acoustic sweet spot. Combined with the terrible condition of some of the screens, I've just given up.
OK. I have to agree with this. On our cruise last October we gave up on MUTS entirely as we couldn't follow what was being said in the movie. They had the sound turned down so low it was crazy. On that cruise, however, the CD didn't blast everybody's ears with insanely loud announcements. On our most recent cruise when the CD made announcements everybody had to stop talking because it was so loud. It was kind of like living near railroad tracks where everything just stops when a train goes by.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Thrak

Not Elite but having fun working on it...