Australia - How Wet is Wet?

I am considering a cruise from Bali to Sydney calling at Darwin, Thursday Island, Port Douglas, Cairns and Hamiton Island in February which according the guide books is the Wet Season. I know weather is difficult to predict and no two years are the same but exactly how much rain should I expect at this time of year e.g. continuous days of torrential rain, heavy intermittent showers or just the occasional downpour? I would wlcome comments from those who live in the region or have taken a similar cruise at this time of year. As this cruise along with the airfare from UK would not be a cheap option for us, am I better trying to find an alternative itinerary for this time of year.

I am considering a cruise from Bali to Sydney calling at Darwin, Thursday Island, Port Douglas, Cairns and Hamiton Island in February which according the guide books is the Wet Season. I know weather is difficult to predict and no two years are the same but exactly how much rain should I expect at this time of year e.g. continuous days of torrential rain, heavy intermittent showers or just the occasional downpour? I would wlcome comments from those who live in the region or have taken a similar cruise at this time of year. As this cruise along with the airfare from UK would not be a cheap option for us, am I better trying to find an alternative itinerary for this time of year.

Darwin will be torrential storm, probably in the afternoon. (guaranteed), but I'd be more worried about the heat about 95f and humidity, 90% maybe

Can't say about Thursday Island

The rest likely to be hot maybe hotter than Darwin even with intermittent downpours not showers.

If it holds to form.

I have lived in Darwin, and have a holiday house in Port Douglas.

In February, it will probably rain one to three times per day. Rain is usually very heavy, but short lived - usually about a half an hour, give or take.

The humidity will be a bigger problem. Don't bother blow drying your hair, and plan on sweating a lot (wear natural fibres)

On the flip side, the ship, vehicles and shops are all air conditioned, so you can avoid the heat/humidity if you want to.

You must do a trip out to the Great Barrier Reef from either Port Douglas or Cairns.

Try a crocodile cruise on the Adelaide River out of Darwin.

The 3 "h's" hot, humid and horrible! I live in Brisbane and February is the worse month of the year, and it will be worse further north in Cairns. This year we have had the worst summers I have ever experienced,. Unfortunately our summer is the cruise season and if you wish to see the northern part of Australia via cruise ship you will experience hot and humid weather. It is the not the heat that is effects you but the humidity, and the humidity just takes everything out of you.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by sonia2509

This is the cyclone season, so, if there is a Low or Cyclone hanging around, there can be torrential rain for days. If not, you will experience hot and humid weather, with occasional heavy showers. This is not the ideal time of year to visit the North.

Do the rain/humidity ease up a bit in March?

Much better in October, or earlier but will still be very warm, just less humidity and dry.

Australians have been trying to get cruise lines to think outside the box for years.. There is a very good reason we dont travel to the north in summer - too wet and hot.

It has been a very long hot summer this year and it's still not letting up. We are more than half way through Autumn and it is still 30 degrees C. However, it is not the temperature, it is the humidity that will get to you. If you don't mind the humidity February is a good time to come here as it is not busy.

Bear in mind that everything is airconditioned and if you choose to take a trip up to the Tablelands (beautiful area) it will be a lot cooler because the humidity isn't as bad.