Venice Airport/Port and Transportation Questions (merged)

Marcopoloo -- you can take a water taxi to the main landing on the north side of venice. From there are regular taxi can drive you the short distance to the pier where the cruise ship docs or you can walk, but I think the distance plus luggage would make it tough. You also can take a regular taxi from the airport to the pier but I have to warn you that taxis are very expensive (both land and water) in Venice. There is an excellent water bus system that would be cheaper and would get you to the same locations as the water taxi. I recommend Rick Steve's books for Europe and the one on Venice can give you excellent advice and will also help if you are looking to do some sightseeing while in Venice. Have a wonderful time!

I was on MILLENNIUM last fall and some guys took the Water taxi from the airport and it almost cost as much as the cruise!! And since then the US dollar has fallen even further . . . today a new low against the Euro! The real excitement is when the ship sails from Venice!! On the MILLENNIUM sail away we sailed as the sun was setting and they played opera on deck . . . and it was absolutely fantastic!

I'd skip the water taxi and buy a bottle of champaign to have on deck as you sail away instead.

Regards, Richard

There is also a bus for 3 EUR pp with a luggage compartment underneath to hold your luggage. I think it's called the Blue Bus, but be sure it's the one to Piazzale Rome. It will take you to Piazzale Roma (transportation hub in Venice) where there should be a Princess shuttle (free) to the ship, also with room for luggage.

Have a great trip!

After a TA flight- you are going to be bleery eyed. My advice is to take a taxi directly to the ship. Water taxi would be long and expensive. Taxi will take 30 minutes (ask for price up front-shouldn't be more than 45 Euros). This will be the best way.

There is a bus that costs 3 Euros per person and drops off in Piazzle Roma but then you have to take an expensive 1 mile taxi ride (I paid 20 Euros!). So just bite the bullet and go from the airport via taxi to the port.

After a TA flight- you are going to be bleery eyed. My advice is to take a taxi directly to the ship. Water taxi would be long and expensive. Taxi will take 30 minutes (ask for price up front-shouldn't be more than 45 Euros). This will be the best way.

There is a bus that costs 3 Euros per person and drops off in Piazzle Roma but then you have to take an expensive 1 mile taxi ride (I paid 20 Euros!). So just bite the bullet and go from the airport via taxi to the port.

Or you can take ACTV bus no 5, which costs 1 euro, or is free if you get a 24 hour vaparetto pass at the airport if you are overnighting in Venice, as the bus is part of the pass. If you get off the bus the stop before Piazzale Roma, after crossing the long bridge, you are by the port entrance. Or from Piazzale Roma a 10 to 15 minute walk or free shuttle, if it is running or you can find it !!

Directions from Marco Polo airport to Venice-Piazzale Roma Square

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/venice_airport_buses.htm

ATVO (blue coach) Takes about 20 minutes from the airport to Roma Square

This bus costs €3,00 and is handy if you're carrying more than one suitcase or backpack, since it has a luggage compartment underneath where the driver will stow your bags. You may also want to take this bus early or late in the day, when local commuters are riding the public bus. The stop is located between the Arrivals terminal and the Departures area. (Caution: Buses for Padova and certain other locations are also blue, so look for the "Venezia" sign before boarding.)

You're supposed to buy a ticket from the public-transportation ticket counter in the arrivals terminal. Validate your ticket in the stamping machine next to the bus stop.

If the ticket booth is closed, proceed directly to the bus and ask the driver for a biglietto. Travel time to the Piazzale Roma is 20 minutes. For more information, see the Marco Polo-Venezia pages at ATVO.it.

http://www.vtp.it/pages/navi/crocierePasseggeri.jsp?n=1

SHUTTLE BUS TO/FROM MARITTIMA CRUISE TERMINALS - P.LE ROMA

Operating during the days when ships are embarking and disembarking cruise passengers: every 15/20 minutes. The service is provided on Cruise Operator's request.

We are also considering taking a land taxi from the ship to Marco Polo airport. Someone stated that the cost is about 45 Euros and takes 30 minutes. Where do you find the land taxis when you disembark the ship? Are the taxis plentiful? Our flight has been bumped up to earlier in the morning killing my plans of taking the ATVO blue coach. Any advice out there please!

Hello,

I know I've seen posts on this subject but Search is not working. The Journey overnights on April 4th and we disembark Monday the 5th. Our flight leaves at 2:30 in the afternoon and since we're on a 690 passenger ship we'll probably be off by 9 AM. It's about 30 minutes to the airport so that leaves 5 hours of wait time.

I read somewhere that there are lockers to store luggage at Pizzala Roma about a mile from the port. Does anyone know exactly where these lockers are and the best way to get there? I think I also read that there is bus service from there to the airport. Anyone have info on that?

If all of that works does anyone know of anything interesting to do in the area for 3 or 4 hours? :)

John

Sorry John but I am going to tag on this post as well. Not having the search is a pain:-(

We will be arriving in Venice on June 4th with an overnight stay on board and will be leaving on a flight out of Marco Polo at 10:30am the next morning. I am presuming there will be Taxis that run to the airport from the ship terminal and if there are cruisers out there have done this, any info you could share would be most helpful.

49er

The left luggage is a small warehouse type office in Piazza del Roma - costs around 3 euro per bag. From there you can get the Nr 2 Vaporetto water bus direct to St. Marks square (should take around 25 min to get there along the grand Canal.) Nr 2 is the quicker route, Nr 1 also goes the same route but stops at every stop, nr 2 is limited stops. Or you could get off at Rialto bridge and wander through the street to St. Marks and get the Vaporetto back to Piazza del Roma on return. This would give you a chance to shop a little and get more of a "feel" for Venice. Either way, a trip along the Grand Canal is a great experience, seeing all the buildings & canal side streets go bye. You can get a day pass for the Vaporetto which works out cheaper than buying single tickets.

To get back to the airport from Piazza del Roma after collecting your bags, head just opposite the left luggage (100 yards or so)to the ACTV bus area - the bus will cost 3 Euro for 1 way to Marco polo Airport and takes max 20 min. Busses leave every 1/2 hr, you can put your luggage in the trunk and buy the ticket directly from the driver.

Sorry John but I am going to tag on this post as well. Not having the search is a pain:-(

We will be arriving in Venice on June 4th with an overnight stay on board and will be leaving on a flight out of Marco Polo at 10:30am the next morning. I am presuming there will be Taxis that run to the airport from the ship terminal and if there are cruisers out there have done this, any info you could share would be most helpful.

49er

€40 is the price I have heard. Make sure he has a meter on or you agree a price beforehand, including luggage.

Directions from Marco Polo airport to Venice-Piazzale Roma Square

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/venice_airport_buses.htm

ATVO (blue coach) Takes about 20 minutes from the airport to Roma Square

This bus costs €3,00 and is handy if you're carrying more than one suitcase or backpack, since it has a luggage compartment underneath where the driver will stow your bags. You may also want to take this bus early or late in the day, when local commuters are riding the public bus. The stop is located between the Arrivals terminal and the Departures area. (Caution: Buses for Padova and certain other locations are also blue, so look for the "Venezia" sign before boarding.)

You're supposed to buy a ticket from the public-transportation ticket counter in the arrivals terminal. Validate your ticket in the stamping machine next to the bus stop.

If the ticket booth is closed, proceed directly to the bus and ask the driver for a biglietto. Travel time to the Piazzale Roma is 20 minutes. For more information, see the Marco Polo-Venezia pages at ATVO.it.

http://www.vtp.it/pages/navi/crocierePasseggeri.jsp?n=1

SHUTTLE BUS TO/FROM MARITTIMA CRUISE TERMINALS - P.LE ROMA

Operating during the days when ships are embarking and disembarking cruise passengers: every 15/20 minutes. The service is provided on Cruise Operator's request.

Information on baggage storage:

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/venice-railroad-station-faq-baggage.htm

Hope this helps,

- CWipes

Take a water taxi to terminal very exspensive plus lugging baggage off the water taxi. next option taxi.Or take Airport bus to bus terminal

cost 3 euros then 1 mile taxi to ship terminal. has any of you guys done this and what advice would you give me. also what is the Venice terminal like shops restaraunts ?? thank you Grumphy

We arrived in Venice last June and it took less than 1 hour to get our bags and get to a water taxi. It went very smoothly with lines moving quite quickly. You have to walk a little distance to the water taxis but we had not trouble doing the walk with our luggage. That includes our mother who is in her 80's. The water taxi is a great way to see Venice for the first, second or even third time, come to think about it!!

Have a great time in Venice. Oh and we took a walking tour of Venice which are hotel arranged and it was fantastic. I highly recommend doing that.

Last October we arrived on an international flight from Philly. There was no delay in having our passports stamped, nor in getting our luggage. We were out of the airport in about 45 minutes or so. We were however too tired from the trip to begin our exploration of Venice that afternoon as we had planned. Id really plan for something easy, maybe a vaporetto ride around the city. As background, we are both newly retired.

We will be staying one extra nite in Venice ( May 8th) so we need to come up with a transfer from the hotel to Marco Polo Airport. Where can we get the airport taxi? This sounds good for us. We are already paying one way to Holland to get us to the ship on the 26th of April so that's all set. Anyone with info---let us know.

Thanks for the replies. They were very helpful. I do believe we will also plan for something easy when we get there. It's a long and fairly sleepless trip. A vaporetto ride sounds just about right. Maybe a bit of wandering among the vendors along the grand canal to stretch the legs.

Hi

Like the others last April we were off the plane, had our luggage and were on our way within 45 minutes.

We chose to get our 3 day vaparetto passes in the airport (as you come out of the baggage area go left past the car rental and there is a little booth with a window where we bought our passes, these passes also indluded free rides on the bus, so we walked out the door and there was an orange bus just waiting, we hopped on, flashed our pass and enjoyed the 30 minute ride to Pizzale Roma in Venice.

We got off the bus, wheeled our luggage to the vaparetto and once again flashed our cards and hopped on. We stayed at at small B&B just 3 minutes walk from the Rialto bridge, so got off there and walked to our hotel. Very easy.

I highly recommend a vaparetto pass, it enabled us to just wander and hop off or on if we got too far from our hotel to return back. Just print out the routes and take it with you so you can check it. Very easy and handy.

Good luck and enjoy Venice, it's magical.

Tara

The public bus is the way to go from Venice to the airport (and vice versa). It is 3 Euros. The bus terminal is piazzle roma. The taxi drivers will charge an arm and a leg to take you the one mile distance to the port. I paid 20 Euros!

If you are flying in the day of the cruise- you might want to take the bus to piazzle roma. There is an office there where you can check your baggage while you stop and get a cup of coffee somewhere. Then later- pick up your bags and see if there is a bus to the terminal. If not- walk. Its about 3/4 of a mile. Won't be too hard if you have roller bags.

There is one restaurant in the port. Nothing special. Really a place the crew goes but you can get a cold drink there and something to eat.

Archived