Riviera review March 8

Post it

I agree this one group was an outlier. Having been on many O cruises, we never experienced such unruly behavior inflicted on 1100 passengers by a small subset of the 100+ in the group. We get up early and turn in early while the problem children did the exact opposite. So we were able to avoid their late nite shenanigans at the bars (breaking glasses, becoming belligerent drunks).

The group received a free cruise for surpassing targets selling property insurance policies in Canada. Not all were obnoxious. It was a subset of tattooed bare chested sun burnt dudes late afternoon soaking up drinks, sun and fun. We were PH on 10 & had to shout down to the drunks on 8 to stop yelling to each other on balconies late in the afternoon. They stopped the caterwailing when asked.

Supposedly 3 goofballs were put off Riviera in Nassau, the first port (!). Others left in Antigua on Day 6 of 10. I get it: some in their 30s want to let loose on all-expense paid cruise vacation with non-stop booze. But Oceania is a very odd choice to host this shindig esp. when there is so little of interest for those who want to drink & go bananas.

I agree this one group was an outlier. Having been on many O cruises, we never experienced such unruly behavior inflicted on 1100 passengers by a small subset of the 100+ in the group. We get up early and turn in early while the problem children did the exact opposite. So we were able to avoid their late nite shenanigans at the bars (breaking glasses, becoming belligerent drunks).

The group received a free cruise for surpassing targets selling property insurance policies in Canada. Not all were obnoxious. It was a subset of tattooed bare chested sun burnt dudes late afternoon soaking up drinks, sun and fun. We were PH on 10 & had to shout down to the drunks on 8 to stop yelling to each other on balconies late in the afternoon. They stopped the caterwailing when asked.

Supposedly 3 goofballs were put off Riviera in Nassau, the first port (!). Others left in Antigua on Day 6 of 10. I get it: some in their 30s want to let loose on all-expense paid cruise vacation with non-stop booze. But Oceania is a very odd choice to host this shindig esp. when there is so little of interest for those who want to drink & go bananas.

I blame the O GM and the rest of their management, as much as anyone for allowing this to happen. Not acceptable to their other customers who paid good money for their cruise. :(:(:(

This is a VERY difficult line to draw in the sand, particularly as all of the passengers have paid good money to be onboard and nobody was promised a library-like ambiance outside of the library.

Why not just move to another venue? :confused:

We went to another area - a quiet area on deck 14. Then we were kicked out of there so they could set up for a party for these inconsiderate jerks. To add insult to injury we were kicked out of there twice along with others who were sleeping in their lounge chairs!

This has never happened to us on any cruise line in all the years we have been cruising. This was not the fault of the staff. They were just doing as they were told and I could tell they felt bad about telling people they had to vacate the area.

BTW it was 3:00 in the afternoon.

So as far as going to another venue, these people were all over the ship, to include evenings around the pool and the Horizon lounge.

If this is how Oceania treats their guests we will never cruise with them again.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the review and the honest evaluation. Sorry, but there are times when a company which sells a product has to be expected to maintain and "moving to another venue" shouldn't even be something one should have to even consider doing. The people causing the disturbance often count on others to "move to another venue" for obvious reasons.

I know someone said something because that is one of the things they were cursing about one night. The guy was mad because someone gave him some grief (I won't use the words he used here).

I wouldn't let this commentary keep you from going on this ship. It was a very beautiful, clean ship with a lot of nice people. I can't say this group ruined the cruise for us and I don't know how others felt but I believe they were spoken to on more than one occasion and hope they never come on a cruise we are on again.

It really shows how poor the GM and ships officers are running the ship - by not taking control of this issue. Who was the GM on your voyage??

To the original OP -- very balanced review. We are also finding that O is dumbing down the food to suit more older pallets. The good thing in most of the restaurants you can ask for the dish spiced up. Especially found that as you did on the Indian food.

Also concur about your experiences in Polo. Last two cruises had 1 good meal and have found the same experience about overcooked meat.

In Toscana the Chef was Italian and everything that left his kitchen was Al-dente.

It really shows how poor the GM and ships officers are running the ship - by not taking control of this issue. Who was the GM on your voyage??

To the original OP -- very balanced review. We are also finding that O is dumbing down the food to suit more older pallets. The good thing in most of the restaurants you can ask for the dish spiced up. Especially found that as you did on the Indian food.

Also concur about your experiences in Polo. Last two cruises had 1 good meal and have found the same experience about overcooked meat.

In Toscana the Chef was Italian and everything that left his kitchen was Al-dente.

I do not know who the GM was on the ship. Also, I don't know if anyone in charge cared because I am pretty sure that the person who told many of us we had to clear out of our lounge chairs so they could set up parties for this group was in charge of something since he was directing crew members throughout our cruise..