Maho Airplane Experience Accessibilty

charmy98

Hubby and I would like to take the cruise ship tour to the Maho Airplane Experience, I use a mobility scooter but I can walk short distances with the help of a cane. Can I safely leave the scooter somewhere while on the bus ride to the beach. Has anyone with a scooter gone on this tour and if so how was it.

Thank you.

I am cross posting this to the cruise line board as well.

I can't answer your question about safely leaving your scooter somewhere, but getting to Maho with a cane would depend on where you wanted to get to. If you are OK going to Sunset Bar and watching the planes from a table there - which is still quite an experience - I think you would be just fine. If your plan was to go out onto the beach itself, it would be more difficult.

From Sunset Bar you have to go down several steps to get to the beach and the last time we were there the sand was washed away and it was just big rocks that you had to scramble over to get to the actual beach. I would not recommend this with a cane. The other option is to walk along the road that borders the beach and the runway. The problem with this that the road is narrow - barely big enough for one car each way, and there is a big curb between the road and the beach you would have to get over to get to the beach itself. Again, I would not recommend it with a cane.

Thank you so much for your reply. I wouldn't be worried about the beach. The Sunset bar location sounds fine, it's more for hubby's sake than mine, he would love to see one of the planes close up :)

We went to Maho Beach in April of this year. We only saw 1 airliner come in during our 2+ hrs there. The rest were small prop planes. We were told that with the hotels destroyed by the hurricanes last year, tourists aren't flying to St. Maarten as much as previously. You can look around and see the damaged hotels near the airport.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Forums mobile app