Just off Norwegian Sky 3-day to Bahamas

juliea344

Headed home to the snow and cold after a great little vacay. I definitely had my doubts about the Sky but it exceeded my expectations. We had a great time! I'm happy to answer any questions while it's fresh in my mind. No pics though, too busy drinking and dancing!

How was the food? I'm on for my 30th in February and from the reviews I expect Sky to be a little older but still well maintained (I'm kind of hyped for the hilariously 90s decor TBH) and my boyfriend and I are generally very happy so long as we have a drink in hand and each other but the food does concern me because I've heard it was pretty hit or miss. I was going to save my money for a big fancy dinner in Miami when we got back and skip the specialty dining if the MDR is passable.

Also, what were your favorite drinks? Is the beer selection still as bleak as I've seen?

How was the food? I'm on for my 30th in February and from the reviews I expect Sky to be a little older but still well maintained (I'm kind of hyped for the hilariously 90s decor TBH) and my boyfriend and I are generally very happy so long as we have a drink in hand and each other but the food does concern me because I've heard it was pretty hit or miss. I was going to save my money for a big fancy dinner in Miami when we got back and skip the specialty dining if the MDR is passable.

Also, what were your favorite drinks? Is the beer selection still as bleak as I've seen?

The first two times we sailed on the Sky we got the updated dining package and loved every meal we had (particularly Le Bistro and Il Adagio). This past October we decided to try the MDRs, BIG MISTAKE. First, we are foodies who love nothing more than relax at the end of the day we an amazing meal. Next, my husband has been in management in the the food service business for some 25 years. Finally, maybe we had spoiled ourselves on previous trips and, as a result, had higher expectations of what to expect from our dinners on the Sky. However, there is no question that we will never do the MDRs for dinner on the Sky again. One night, DH had Carbonara, which was tasteless and unappealing. I had a dish to start that I cannot remember but do know it was sent back. The replacement was Chicken Cordon Blue because your can't mess that up right. Wrong. It too was tasteless and overcooked. We were so disappointed and hungry we ended up eating again later.

So, IMHO, the food in the Le Bistro, Cagney's, Wasabi, and Il Adagio are great! Each restaurant has a great ambiance, service, and food. The food at the MDRs is OK. The service is great but after that no thanks. We learned that on future trips to just build in the price of the upgraded dining so that we can enjoy our mini vacation and not leave wanting a better experience.

My opinion of the food is based off of a comparison to my last cruise which was on Allure.

The buffet: awful. Even at breakfast nothing looked appealing. We headed to the Palace MDR for breakfast and it was delicious. We had the traditional eggs Benedict and the salmon benedict two days in a row. So good!

Night one we went to Cagney's which was definitely my favorite. The total was $64 (including a tip) for two apps and two entrees. The steaks were cooked to perfection and my husband is still raving about his. Service was friendly and fast but not over the top fantastic like I've experienced on Allure. Who cares though, it was night one and I was pretty drunk. Lol

Night two we went to LeBistro. I had heard great things but TBH it was meh. Again the total was $64 for two apps and two entrees. I had the cream of mushroom soup which was great but their specialty dish for $24 was some kind of shrimp with artichokes in a butter sauce. It was cold and not great. The butter sauce was more like a creamy bechamel and the artichokes were diced. Shrimp was low end. Also LeBistro had slow service and I was never once offered a drink.

The sushi in the Plantation lounge was an upcharge but cheap. Like $5 for an 8 piece roll. Loved it. I could have easily made dinner out of it.

MDR was just ok but better than I expected because on Allure it was awful. The service in the MDR (Crossings) was the best we had on the entire cruise. My husband thought his strip steak was just ok. He was wishing he was at Cagney's, lol. I had the rotisserie chicken because nothing else on night three looked appealing. We had already gone for sushi as an appetizer. The chicken was actually quite good. Lava cake for dessert was amazing.

The three day meal package wouldn't have made sense for us because it was $82.50 per person. Even if we went specialty all three nights we wouldn't have saved anything.

The ship is definitely showing it's wear but the drinks are strong and plentiful so you won't notice! I couldn't believe the muster drill. It was pointless. Everyone was hammered and cracking jokes the whole time! I feel like it lasted only five or ten minutes.

I actually really enjoyed the lounges. Especially Dazzles, we danced the night away there and we never dance! The weird swivel lounge chairs they have everywhere on the ship are actually really comfortable. Bahama Mamas on GSC were really good. Just ask and they will add extra rum! I enjoyed the Sauvignon Blanc which was the Matua brand. The Cabernet Sauvignon was also nice. I never did try the mojitos in the atrium bar but I probably should have. For beer I saw Corona extra, Stella, bud light, Miller lite, Amstel light. There may have been others.

Enjoy your cruise. I'm sure you will have an amazing time!

Oh, and one more thing. They have chicken wings ("buffalo wings") in Longboards bar at night. I had heard good things so we decided to try them. Well, we're from Buffalo and they definitely weren't Buffalo wings. Lol. We asked for hot but they weren't spicy at all. They didn't really have much sauce on them that I could tell and they were breaded. BREADED! They weren't exactly bad, just not what they should be. So, depending on where you're from you may love or hate them.