Another GTY Question

Sandy1975

I am full of questions about GTYs (I created another thread asking questions about GTY but this one is different and deserves its own posting)!

I have only booked 3 GTYs in the past but they were all booked at least 6M before sailing: my first one was a horrible OV assignment (I think this was my 4th cruise and I was not experienced at the time) and my other 2s I was in control and able to change cabins within the same category.

Looking for last minute vacay options this week, I was lucky and grabbed an OV 7 GTY (not sure if cat 7 is relevant in a GTY cabin) in a sold out sailing that is leaving on 4.8. Answers on my other thread had some people that received their cabin number at the port. So my question is the following:

I am going to wait until Tue (last day for online checking) to check in in hopes that I will have a cabin # but what happens if I am still a GTY? How will I handle my luggage at the port if I don't have a cabin number to put in the luggage tags?

Thanks

The porters who take your luggage at the pier will have some blank tags and will write in your room number.

My question is what happens if I still do not have a room number when I get to the port. What would they write, my last name? It will make me nervous knowing that there is no room number attached (if I still don't have a cabin assign)

My question is what happens if I still do not have a room number when I get to the port. What would they write, my last name? It will make me nervous knowing that there is no room number attached (if I still don't have a cabin assign)

I believe someone there will have your room number on a pax list. They will assign you a room by the time you arrive. Each time I booked a guarantee with Celebrity, my room has been assigned immediately. Have you checked your reservation online to make sure this hasn't already been assigned?? I don't believe anyone will notify you ... it will be up to you to check.

I have heard (but only once) that Celebrity oversold their cabins on a cruise and the passenger showed up ... no cabin available. I guess there was even a flight involved. Yikes!! It was a sold out cruise when the guarantee cabin was booked. I would make sure I went into my reservation and check on it.

I believe someone there will have your room number on a pax list. They will assign you a room by the time you arrive. Each time I booked a guarantee with Celebrity, my room has been assigned immediately. Have you checked your reservation online to make sure this hasn't already been assigned?? I don't believe anyone will notify you ... it will be up to you to check.

I have heard (but only once) that Celebrity oversold their cabins on a cruise and the passenger showed up ... no cabin available. I guess there was even a flight involved. Yikes!! It was a sold out cruise when the guarantee cabin was booked. I would make sure I went into my reservation and check on it.

Oh, I will be so mad! Im checking often hoping to see a number.

Oh, I will be so mad! Im checking often hoping to see a number.

Don't get upset. I have booked GTYs before with many different cruise lines and NEVER was not assigned a cabin either before or at the pier. I've even had an upgrade done last minute so that I didn't know until I checked in at the pier. You will have your assignment. I would bet money on you getting it no later than a few days before sail date. :DJust keep checking your booking on X's website.

Pick up the phone and call Celebrity.

The OP is far more likely to receive accurate information here than via calling Celebrity. What she has been told so far is true. Generally stateroom assignment is made prior to boarding day (often assignments are made fairly quickly after booking guarantees - but with this being a sold out cruise, not as likely to receive rapid assignment). If no assignment appears online prior to embarkation day, the porters will have a master list of room assignments and will quickly and easily find out the assigned room number and fill out luggage tags for the OP when she arrives to the terminal. While cruise lines do sometimes overbook (like airlines) it is extraordinarily rare for people to be involuntary bumped because of this; in all my time on Cruise Critic I think I only recall a single incident of someone booking a guarantee, showing up and not having a room. In the highly, highly, highly, highly, highly unlikely event that were to occur, one would be compensated.

Edited by Gonzo70

The OP is far more likely to receive accurate information here than via calling Celebrity. What she has been told so far is true. Generally stateroom assignment is made prior to boarding day (often assignments are made fairly quickly after booking guarantees - but with this being a sold out cruise, not as likely to receive rapid assignment). If no assignment appears online prior to embarkation day, the porters will have a master list of room assignments and will quickly and easily find out the assigned room number and fill out luggage tags for the OP when she arrives to the terminal. While cruise lines do sometimes overbook (like airlines) it is extraordinarily rare for people to be involuntary bumped because of this; in all my time on Cruise Critic I think I only recall a single incident of someone booking a guarantee, showing up and not having a room. In the highly, highly, highly, highly, highly unlikely even that were to occur, one would be compensated.

Thanks!! This is exactly what I wanted to know. I didn't know the porters had a master list of cabins.

Have you tried calling the Captains Club to see if they can give you your assignment, or your TA if you used one? I would hate leaving home and not knowing what cabin I was going to be in.:(

Yes, my TA was on the phone with Celebrity yesterday and today inquiring about it. In fact I am hoping that a Balcony opens up (probably unlikely) so that I can take that one if the difference is not too much but no luck.

I like knowing things in advance so just like you I would hate leaving without knowing where I will stay but I think I just need patience I guess.

Why would you not call Celebrity and ask if a room has been assigned? You have nothing to lose by asking, and you could save yourself a lot of grief and anxiety if they tell you your room number. If you and your travel agent are both checking you will call attention to the fact that you have not yet received a room assignment.

Why would you not call Celebrity and ask if a room has been assigned? You have nothing to lose by asking, and you could save yourself a lot of grief and anxiety if they tell you your room number. If you and your travel agent are both checking you will call attention to the fact that you have not yet received a room assignment.

The majority of the time, when I call CC inquiring about a reservation booked through a TA they tell me to contact the TA (middle man). Only twice I have been lucky in getting X to answer a question I had about my cabin.

Because that would be a waste of time; when a stateroom is assigned it shows on one's reservation. All one has to do is frequently check one's reservation on Celebrity's website under "My Reservations" and if a stateroom has been assigned it will list the stateroom number rather than TBD.

The majority of the time, when I call CC inquiring about a reservation booked through a TA they tell me to contact the TA (middle man). Only twice I have been lucky in getting X to answer a question I had about my cabin.

Very true. Since you didn't mention booking thru a TA, you got general advice. When booked thru a TA, they've been hired to represent you to the cruiseline and legally that means the CL can no longer discuss your booking with you. Sounds silly but it's the contract between TA and CL. I truly understand your need to know but patience is all I have to offer at this point. :)

Very true. Since you didn't mention booking thru a TA, you got general advice. When booked thru a TA, they've been hired to represent you to the cruiseline and legally that means the CL can no longer discuss your booking with you. Sounds silly but it's the contract between TA and CL. I truly understand your need to know but patience is all I have to offer at this point. :)

Thanks. I got my cabin yesterday so no more worries on my part!