Boarding in San Juan

5waldos

We were on around noon.....and lunch was waiting for us up in the buffet....don't worry...plenty of food everywhere. Realize that you might be wearing shorts to the MDR...as there is no guarantee your luggage will appear before dinner....but they expect that - the first night it's Aok! Have fun!

We were on around noon.....and lunch was waiting for us up in the buffet....don't worry...plenty of food everywhere. Realize that you might be wearing shorts to the MDR...as there is no guarantee your luggage will appear before dinner....but they expect that - the first night it's Aok! Have fun!

I didn't realize that they had the MDR open that first day. Very nice- and thanks- I hope to. I take it you enjoyed the trip?

I don't think it is a very long sail to the first island. That is my guess anyway. I don't know how late you can board- I think that muster is just after 9 so I would think you would have to be onboard prior to that.

We boarded around 1pm the first time we sailed out of San Juan. We actually ended up getting off the ship to explore after we had lunch because you didn't have to be on board until late. If you get in early, I would suggest walking up to the fort. It's not too far and has amazing views!

We boarded at around 11:30, ate lunch, dropped our carry-ons off in the cabin and had a nice afternoon in San Juan. I don't know why they leave so late but it probably has something to do with the fact that the first island stop is very close. Also, with people coming in from all over the country some flights don't get in till afternoon. We got there 3 days ahead and really enjoyed the time in San Juan. Our muster drill was at 11:00 PM, and we didn't sail till about 11:30. That was Super Bowl Sunday so that's the reason they delayed things. The MDR was open for dinner but it was open seating and casual dress. I think the latest allowable boarding time was 8:30, but I'm not entirely sure about that. The Victory cruise out of San Juan was great! Loved all the islands.

why do they leave out so late? can you board until 9ish?

They also embark passengers in Barbados. So this is a port day for them. Plus the fact it is very close to the next port St Thomas.

As others have said, buffet is open for lunch. Dinner is open seating the first night from around 6 to 9.

I think they told us all onboard by 8:30 pm.

I love hearing info about the Victory. We are going in October and I have noticed that there aren't many threads about this sailing. We can't wait!

On the 7th? That's when we'll be aboard. If later- will let you know how it goes!

I am so happy to hear this! I have tried several times to take it but either the fares to San Juan were outrageous or the timing was off. This one just worked out nicely. Good omen!

The Victory does not have the Red Frog Pub though, does it? That was some of the best food onboard the Magic. And no steak house? I will miss that too. But I am looking forward to a small ship again- I am not a big fan of either the Magic or the Dream- too big. But a few of the extras are nice. Balancing act I guess.

Patti, How do you be become a member of the Whale Tail club??? Is is open to everyone?? I've been on a few of Carnival Cruises .. : )

I think everyone is assuming you are joking about the Whale Tail Club.:o But in case you aren't, it is the cruise ship version of the Mile High Club. It is open to everyone with a balcony and a pal.

5waldos,

LMAO...Thanks for explaining .. I'm new to the whole cruising terminology.. In that case, i'm in the club and didn't even know it ..lol.. my hubby will be so happy !

Congratulations! Hope you had fun. Silly- of course you had fun.

And wait- you are going on cruise 8! Not such a novice!!!

This October will be our 4th consecutive cruise out of san juan, we consider it the best place to start/finish a cruise for Americans sailing the caribbean, especially if you like to add extra vacation time pre or post cruise. With cruise and airfare taken into consideration its always been just a little cheaper for us to sail from San Juan as well.

Yes, its my 8th cruise but I've never heard of that terminology before .. lol ... oh well.. learn something new everyday .. ; )

Oh well- I shared this with my husband and he had no idea what i was talking about so I wouldn't worry!

We plan on boarding about lunchtime. We are spending 2 nights pre-cruise in San Juan to enjoy. We also will eat lunch in the buffet and around 2pm or so rooms should be ready so we will drop off our carry-on and head out in Old San Juan and tour the forts and hit the outlets (Coach, Dooney & Burke, Marshalls!!) Can you tell I'm super excited to see what's in store at the designer outlets and Marshalls!?!?

We'll return to the ship about 6 or 7 and go to dinner in the MDR. All aboard is at 8:30pm so if you're running late that day, you have until 8pm-ish to check-in.

Sailaway party is definately at 10pm up on Lido!! Next stop, 8am the next morning -- St. Thomas here we come!

Archived