Question for the New Yorkers

winterstar

Hello :)

I am in the planning stages of a 2006 TransAtlantic crossing on the QM2 next Easter. I understand that she no longer leaves from midtown Manhattan, but will be departing from Brooklyn. I have never been to NYC and would love to book an extra couple of days to see the sights. How difficult/how long does it take to travel via public transport from Brooklyn to the Broadway area?

Also we would likely arrive in NYC on Good Friday. I was hoping to see a show, but I'm afraid that they won't be running on the holiday. :( Traditionally, are the shows still a go on Good Friday?

Thanks for the help!

From your post, it sounds like you're planning on staying in Brooklyn. Why would you do that? Stay in Manhattan, enjoy the city and the sites and then when you're ready to get on the ship, take a taxi to the port in Brooklyn.

Sorry but I don't know if Broadwway shows are open on good Friday. My suggestion would be to go to either Playbill.com or Ticketmaster.com and plug in the good friday date and see what's available. Or call ticketmaster's 800# and ask them about that holiday.

Jane

I would think that most shows will be running on Good Friday. Some offices are closed (as is the Stock Exchange, I think) but most other activities are going. I second Jane's recommendation - stay in Manhattan and take a cab to the ship. If you stay in Brooklyn, DH has stayed at the Brooklyn Marriott and taken the A train into Manhattan.

Another first time visitor to New York wondering where to stay . . .

We'll be sailing on the Norwegian Dream out of NYC on 6th April. As we've never visited NYC before we are flying into JFK on the evening of 4th April so that we have one full day for sight-seeing.

Don't know why, but we're having problems finding decently priced hotels with rooms available - perhaps we're trying to book too far ahead?? One option we HAVE found is through Hotwire. It appears to be the Sheraton Manhattan at $98 per night. The next cheapest hotel we've been able to find via the internet is about $150 per night. We don't want to spend more than $160 per night, if at all possible. Would you recommend staying at this Sheraton - especially at this price?

Thanks for your help :)

Calmac - If it's the Midtown Sheraton (7th and 51st), that's a very good price. Good hotel, good location. It's hard to find a hotel for under $100 a night. Note that there are two Sheratons in that area - the Sheraton Manhattan (which is what I think you have found) and the Sheraton New York Hotel and Towers, a block away. The Midtown location is good for touring.

Winterstar - I'm not entirely sure of where the new docks are, but Brooklyn by cab on a weekend should be a fairly quick ride. I would estimate 20-30 minutes at most. There's a FAQ on taxis available online at http://www.nyc.gov/html/tlc/html/passenger/faq_pass.shtml

I hope both of you enjoy your stays in NYC. It's a great city!

I too recommend that you stay in Manhatten, assuming you can stomach the price. A "reasonable" amount of money for a hotel in NYC is $150. I'd say average is probably closer to $200-$250. Bear in mind these rooms will be tiny compared to hotels in different parts of the country. I have actually be in cruise ship cabins that were bigger. :o

LOL. That's okay. I wouldn't mind spending a couple hundrend on a room for a night or two. I've always wanted to go to New York, but couldn't convince my husband to go. Since our cruise will be leaving from there it will be perfect! Thanks again for the help!

My wife and I will be sailing on Constellation on September 24, 2006, a Sunday, from Cape Liberty, which I understand is the former MSTS Terminal in Bayonne, NJ. We plan to fly from California several days ahead of time and do some sightseeing. Probably into JFK, as that is where JetBlue flies.

I am a member of a club (the Marines' Memorial Club) which enjoys reciprocity with three clubs in New York City with accomodations: the Williams Club, 24 E. 39th Street; the Yale Club, 50 Vanderbilt Avenue; and the Princeton Club, 15 W. 43rd. I've stayed at the Williams Club before, and found it very pleasant and convenient. Any comments on the Yale or the Princeton Clubs?

Also, how difficult, and expensive, would it be to get from any of these to the Cape Liberty Terminal on a Sunday, in time to arrive about noon?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

I too recommend that you stay in Manhatten, assuming you can stomach the price. A "reasonable" amount of money for a hotel in NYC is $150. I'd say average is probably closer to $200-$250. Bear in mind these rooms will be tiny compared to hotels in different parts of the country. I have actually be in cruise ship cabins that were bigger. :o

One thing I have noticed (I travel to NYC at least 10 times ayear for Business, company Hq, and pleasure) is that booking a double instead of a queen or king will often get you bigger rooms. Of course there is an extra unneeded bed, but hey, it gives me a place to spread out.

Michael

Thanks for the speedy responses! I would definately rather stay in Manhattan. I don't have a clue how close Brooklyn is? How much of a cab fare would I be looking at from midtown Manhattan?

ALOT less than if you did it everyday, twice a day, from Brooklyn to Manhattan! LOL!!!

Seriously, the answer is it depends on where in Brooklyn and where in Manhattan you'll be staying. A cab won't run you more than about $25-$30....maybe a lot less depending on the locations to and from.

Stay in Manhattan and then take a taxi to the ship.

Jane

My wife and I will be sailing on Constellation on September 24, 2006, a Sunday, from Cape Liberty, which I understand is the former MSTS Terminal in Bayonne, NJ. We plan to fly from California several days ahead of time and do some sightseeing. Probably into JFK, as that is where JetBlue flies.

I am a member of a club (the Marines' Memorial Club) which enjoys reciprocity with three clubs in New York City with accomodations: the Williams Club, 24 E. 39th Street; the Yale Club, 50 Vanderbilt Avenue; and the Princeton Club, 15 W. 43rd. I've stayed at the Williams Club before, and found it very pleasant and convenient. Any comments on the Yale or the Princeton Clubs?

Also, how difficult, and expensive, would it be to get from any of these to the Cape Liberty Terminal on a Sunday, in time to arrive about noon?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

I've seen a couple of rooms at the Williams Club and they were small.

I've only seen the bar and lounge at the Yale club so can't comment on the rooms.

My advice from NYC to Cape Liberty would be best if done via a private car service. Don't worry about pre-arranging one. Wait til you get here and you'll see listings for lots of them. Just book a few days ahead and they'll pick you up at your hotel and take you to the dock.

You don't want to take a NYC taxi to NJ. They have the right to charge you double the meter, so a car service would be a better choice.

Jane

Another first time visitor to New York wondering where to stay . . .

We'll be sailing on the Norwegian Dream out of NYC on 6th April. As we've never visited NYC before we are flying into JFK on the evening of 4th April so that we have one full day for sight-seeing.

Don't know why, but we're having problems finding decently priced hotels with rooms available - perhaps we're trying to book too far ahead?? One option we HAVE found is through Hotwire. It appears to be the Sheraton Manhattan at $98 per night. The next cheapest hotel we've been able to find via the internet is about $150 per night. We don't want to spend more than $160 per night, if at all possible. Would you recommend staying at this Sheraton - especially at this price?

Thanks for your help :)

Anything under $200 a night at a decent hotel is a steal.

If I were you I'd book "something" now that cancellable with no penalty and then start looking again in Nov/Dec/Jan and again in March for better rates.

The Sheraton at $160 sounds good. I'd book it for now.

Jane

I am in the planning stages of a 2006 TransAtlantic crossing on the QM2 next Easter. I understand that she no longer leaves from midtown Manhattan, but will be departing from Brooklyn.

Keep checking. If the Brooklyn passenger ship pier is ready by Easter 2006, it will be in the category of "major miracle". Nothing gets done in NYC that fast.

I have never been to NYC and would love to book an extra couple of days to see the sights. How difficult/how long does it take to travel via public transport from Brooklyn to the Broadway area?

There is one major hotel in Brooklyn - the Marriott at Brooklyn Bridge. Assuming no problems, it will take about 25 minutes from here to Times Square via subway ($2/person each way) or a minimum of 30 minutes by cab (go here for cab rates. Trip is approx 7 miles). You will probably do better to stay at a hotel in Manhattan and take a cab to the pier on your departure date (especially since I believe you will probably depart from Manhattan anyway:))

Also we would likely arrive in NYC on Good Friday. I was hoping to see a show, but I'm afraid that they won't be running on the holiday. :( Traditionally, are the shows still a go on Good Friday?

Broadway shows don't believe in holidays - they don't make money if they take the night off. However, if your planning on seeing something with a "name" performing, don't be surprised if you catch the understudy.

Thank you Jane110 for the information about NYC taxis to NJ charging meter rate X 2!

I stayed in a small room at the Williams Club, but with DW, I'd take a larger room. I'll check on Yale and Princeton Clubs.

Thank you Jane110 for the information about NYC taxis to NJ charging meter rate X 2!

I stayed in a small room at the Williams Club, but with DW, I'd take a larger room. I'll check on Yale and Princeton Clubs.

you're most welcome! enjoy your stay.

jane

Thanks so much for your reply, Alex! I have my heart set on seeing RENT. I also hope that you are right about the Brooklyn pier being behind schedule--it would be so much easier just to leave from Manhattan!

Passed the Brooklyn pier site Tuesday on the ferry - no noticeable work happening. You're right that leaving from Manhattan will be easier - the Brooklyn site is in the middle of nowhere. The nearest subway stop is over a mile away; the neighborhood, while improving, still leaves much to be desired.

Even if the Brooklyn port is ready to go, it isn't likely that you'd want to spend time in a hotel near Red Hook, Brooklyn. The Marriot at the foot of the Brooklyn Bridge is practically in Manhattan, so you could stay in lower Manhattan without any significant difference in cab fare to the ship.

We booked for our pre-cruise night at Radio City Apts. It came highly recommended by several cruisers on this board and we checked it out on travelwise.com and it had positive reviews. The price is right at $155.00 per night with kitchen etc. (not that we plan to cook!). The location sold us being right near Times Square and Broadway and everything else we checked was waaaay more.

Archived