Choosing first Solo Mediterranean -- and scared to death

islndchica

My thanks to everyone for their advice!

I am hoping the roll call picks up but I am looking at all of my options in case it doesn't. There is still some time but I appreciate all advice. :D

clb

What are hour ports? WhT sort of things interest you? I've done loads of med cruises and land based holidays, so would be happy to help with suggestions. I invariably do them CIY as well.

The ports of call section and other sites that have port reviews are good sources for finding out options on what to do and see. Overviews on TripAdvisor is also good.

You can also get a guide book for med Cruising which has most med ports listed with good ideas on the ports themselves! what's nearby and further afield.

What are hour ports? WhT sort of things interest you? I've done loads of med cruises and land based holidays, so would be happy to help with suggestions. I invariably do them CIY as well.

The ports of call section and other sites that have port reviews are good sources for finding out options on what to do and see. Overviews on TripAdvisor is also good.

You can also get a guide book for med Cruising which has most med ports listed with good ideas on the ports themselves! what's nearby and further afield.

Thanks so much for your advice. My plan right now is to keep in contact with my RC and see if anyone wants to do tours together. But my question was really about solo cruising in the Med; just in case someone had some 'pearls of wisdom' to offer me while cruising solo in the Med.

I think solo cruising is a different cruise; looking for an independent tour in a port vs the cruise line excursion is totally different. Most advice is based on touring with a group.

Thanks! :D

If I understand your question/response correctly, here's my two cents: in Barcelona, use the HOHO bus, something I font normally like or use, but it helped me see everything. Stay on or near Los Ramblas. Secondly, contact Rome in Limo and start a tour group with them. Eight will minimize your cost. They're easy to work with and everyone on CC has heard of them. Use them in every port you can. On Amalfi coast, be sure to book lunch at La Tagliata....enjoy! Jealous!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

The Med and it's ports are relatively safe and easy for a solo woman to explore on her own. I do it frequently. The exception might be Tunis where you'd probably want to be with someone else. Hundreds of thousands (if not millions) of Brits head there every year for holidays and most won't speak a word of another language, so they are fairly geared up in the main resorts and cities for people who only speak English.

That said, I appreciate that for a first solo trip to foreign countries for the first time, you'll be feeling a bit daunted. Roll call is the way to go! to meet other passengers and have a range of people who will want to share tours or even FIY together. After all, if you are not willing to interact with others and stick to doing everything yourselves, you wouldn't join a roll call.

I've travelled the world for 30 years and most of it as a solo, first time was a 6 week trip to Australia when I was in my early twenties because no one would go with me. Cruising is by far the easiest way to travel as a solo. You are never really alone unless you want to be. Even if you are in a cafe or bar and don't recognise anyone of the passengers, often the crew will chat to you instead.

I'll be doing a solo Med cruise in July and my way of preparing is to read and research everything I can get my hands on. The Europe Ports board here has a lot of useful information and you should check it out if you haven't already. I've also been reading Rick Steve's guides and any other guide they have at my library.

Hopefully your roll call will pick up as it gets closer to the date. I created a roll call for mine but it's also pretty dead at the moment. If your cruise has other embarkment ports, like Rome, see if there is a roll call for that overlapping cruise. If you don't want to start a tour yourself, you can always check on Rome in Limo's tour sharing site and see if there has been one started you want to join.

Things I've learned from traveling solo in Europe:

Plan your Sea Days. Do as much research on the ship and it's activities as you can on these boards and know a few of the activities you'd like to do, even if it's just sitting by the pool.

Look on the Roll-Calls for people wanting others to join their excursions. You'll meet a small group of people, with whom you may end up dining, meeting for drinks or general socializing.

Taxis are less expensive than you think, except in France. There is excellent local rail service along most coastlines, and a nice way to see more scenery on your way to another town or village. Ticket machines are easy to negotiate with your credit card. Look up schedules on Trenitalia.com or SNCF.com or similar.

Be vigilant, especially in Barcelona. It is a vibrant, beautiful city, and I agree on the HOHO recommendation, but before you go read Rick Steves' Scams page for the most up to date of what's going on.

Some of the ship's shore excursions will give you a once in a lifetime experience, like lunch in a villa, that you couldn't have on your own. Splurge if you can.

If the line for the main dining room is really long, go to a specialty restaurant. The staff is very attentive to solos and the food is most always worth the additional charge.

Take enough Euros with you that you won't need to depend on cash machines. They're handy but often times you should have a lookout, and solos don't. So take the Euros on your person (I use a moneybelt or my bra!) and leave them in the cabin safe. You can use a credit card for larger purchases.

You should bargain a little in the markets, but not in the major shops. Bring your own bags for shopping. They outlawed bags many years before it was fashionable in the U.S.

If you TRY a few words of the local language people are nicer to you. You can download free apps for your Smart Phone with conversational phrases, easy to learn the basics.

Dress like a European, more conservative than the US, and blend in. Loud clothing invites unwelcome, persistent vendors.

Try to meet up with other solos on the Roll-Call, make a standing date to gather for drinks before dinner, and go together. Invite other solos you might meet to join you, the more the merrier.

Enjoy! It's your way vacationing at it's best!

Hi fellow solo cruisers!

I am looking for tips and hints for a solo Mediterrnean cruiser, no matter what cruiseline. Somethings are cross-cruisleines when it comes to solo travel.

clb

I've been to the Med several times on my own.

Firstly I would read up on the ports and decide what you really want to see. Also find out how close you dock so you can work out what you can do yourself - Barcelona is really easy to do on your own, Rome is over an hour from Civitavecchia where you dock, so I went on the ship's tours for that.

I always use the ship's excursions for the big tours, mainly for the peace of mind that someone is looking out for you, and you meet new people from the ship (don't assume because you are single you can only talk to other singles - I've been "adopted" by couples and groups several times!).

Once you know what you are doing on the big "must see" days plan something different for the other days. In Europe its easy to spend 12 days looking at historic buildings to the point of boredom. I try to space them out with a wine tasting trip, nature park, boat ride or whatever else is on offer to break it up.

Even if you sit on your own don't just eat in the buffet. In my experience a 3 course meal in the MDR is one of the best bits of the holiday.

I find I bump into people I've met on tours, at dinner, in the theatre etc all round the ship. I make a point of saying Hi, even if I don't stop to chat. Its amazing how those people keep finding you later.

Oh and lastly Have a great time!! - the Med has so much to see I'm sure you'll love it.

Edited by GaryT-UK

My dream cruise is sailing the Med, then taking the transatlantic back home. Have a great time. Get involved with your roll call. I found great ideas from folks on the roll call for my last transatlantic, and met a bunch of great people.

I wanted to join this thread! I am going solo first time on RCI to the Med at the end of May. I am also scared to death. I booked the ship's excursions and will only bring carry on luggage. I don't want the ship to leave without me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I wanted to join this thread! I am going solo first time on RCI to the Med at the end of May. I am also scared to death. I booked the ship's excursions and will only bring carry on luggage. I don't want the ship to leave without me

I haven't been on RCI yet, but the other ships I've been on have a sign up as you leave the ship saying what time you must be back on board. If I'm exploring on my own I'm always back at least an hour before to be on the safe side. I also set lots of alarms on my phone so I keep track of the time while I'm off the ship. I'd also recommend getting a wake up call on shore excursion days. I have missed a couple of tours because my phone crashed & the alarm didn't wake me - not the end of the World but it does spoil your day! Life is like that though - something will go wrong - accept that, then if it happens its just one of those things and it doesn't ruin your holiday. Oh and don't worry too much, the 2nd, 3rd, 4th.... will be much less scary :)

Edited by GaryT-UK

I wanted to join this thread! I am going solo first time on RCI to the Med at the end of May. I am also scared to death. I booked the ship's excursions and will only bring carry on luggage. I don't want the ship to leave without me.

We really aren't that scary over here! Yes we do things a bit differently and eat and drink different things and we don't all speak English but we are still just people and a lot will assist overseas travellers, particularly solo women.

I can understand people wanting tours, ships or others but as Gary said constant sightseeing of historic buildings get really old fast (pardon the pun). There is far more to Europe and it's constituent nations than that. Tours let you see inanimate objects but they are not good at letting you get a feel for the real France or Spain or Italy or whatever. I really would recommend that on at least one day, in a port that is an easy walk to town, just wandering around and getting a feel for the place. Sit on he terrace of a cafe and have some local wine (or beer) and food and enjoy just chilling and people watching. Stroll around markets and again just observe the locals. It is fascinating and enjoyable.

If you tell me what ports you're going to, I'd be more than happy to provide advice on which may be best for a "act like the locals" day.

Do also use the ports of call section as there is great Info there. Tripadvisor is fantastic too for both research but also using the app when you're out and about to find good restaurants, cafes and activities nearby. Sometimes though the best way is just to stroll the plazas and boulevards and promenades and just pick the place that appeals to you.

Bit of nervous energy is good, it adds to the excitement but please don't get scared. You'll have fun, honestly and learn that the World is a varied and interesting place.

Wow!! All of this advice is fantastic.......:D

I knew other solo cruisers would help out with information; it all seems current too.

I for one will greatly benefit from all of the tid bits that I wouldn't really know about unless I have had the experience. I need to start writing some of these things down so I won't forget them (like bringing my own shopping bags)

Thanks so much for the info!!

I am going to Aix en Provence, Nice, Florence (3 hours on my own), Rome (six hours on my own), and a drive on the Amalfi Coast with lunch. Any advice would be appreciated. All ship's tours.

We really aren't that scary over here! Yes we do things a bit differently and eat and drink different things and we don't all speak English but we are still just people and a lot will assist overseas travellers, particularly solo women.

I can understand people wanting tours, ships or others but as Gary said constant sightseeing of historic buildings get really old fast (pardon the pun). There is far more to Europe and it's constituent nations than that. Tours let you see inanimate objects but they are not good at letting you get a feel for the real France or Spain or Italy or whatever. I really would recommend that on at least one day, in a port that is an easy walk to town, just wandering around and getting a feel for the place. Sit on he terrace of a cafe and have some local wine (or beer) and food and enjoy just chilling and people watching. Stroll around markets and again just observe the locals. It is fascinating and enjoyable.

If you tell me what ports you're going to, I'd be more than happy to provide advice on which may be best for a "act like the locals" day.

Do also use the ports of call section as there is great Info there. Tripadvisor is fantastic too for both research but also using the app when you're out and about to find good restaurants, cafes and activities nearby. Sometimes though the best way is just to stroll the plazas and boulevards and promenades and just pick the place that appeals to you.

Bit of nervous energy is good, it adds to the excitement but please don't get scared. You'll have fun, honestly and learn that the World is a varied and interesting place.

AmoMondo, thanks for the advice offer! I'm docking in Livorno and Civitavecchia but I've been to Florence and Rome and I know that I can't see what I want to see in 8 hours! I was thinking about doing some winery tours in Tuscany and seeing Ostia Antica and/or Tarquinia when we dock in Civitavecchia. Are those good ideas? I keep reading mixed things about Ostia Antica and Tarquinia.

I've been to Livorno a few times. First time had to be Pisa & Florence, 2nd time I went on the ship's wine tasting, which turned into a fun afternoon as I was with a good group. Last time I just walked into Livorno on my own. It's not the most exciting city, but there are a few sights and I wandered round the market and shops, so saw the real city rather than just historic. If I was going back I'd do the wine tour again though :)

I am going to Aix en Provence, Nice, Florence (3 hours on my own), Rome (six hours on my own), and a drive on the Amalfi Coast with lunch. Any advice would be appreciated. All ship's tours.

I loved Aix (pronounced X). There isn't much to see, but a small museum, Atelier Cézanne, (studio of Cezanne) the city's most famous citizen is well worth the price of admission. Learn a little about his work before you go, it will be more meaningful. The Cours Mirabeau itself is a lovely street of small cafes offering mostly expensive food, but the people watching is wonderful. This is to Paris as San Francisco is to the US, a weekend place for the wealthy, honeymooners, and art and architecture enthusiasts.

If you want to fit the Uffitzi gallery into your trip to Florence, make reservations ahead on their website. There is a Smartphone app (free) that shows the layout, so you can make best use of your time. If that's not your thing, be sure to see the David at the Academia, (buy in advance http://www.accademia.org/‎) or if you don't want to go that far on foot, there is a lovely replica outdoors in the Piazza, near the Uffitzi. The Duomo is magnificent, and the climb to the top worth it for the panoramic view of the city. And the world's most famous bridge, the Ponte Vecchio, with it's very expensive Italian gold jewelers inside. It was made famous in the DaVinci Code, which is, if you haven't read it, a great novel to read before you go to Florence. Everything to see in a short time is near the Piazza. You can download podcasts at http://www.italyguides.it/us/florence/download_audio_guides/free_ipod_mp3/florence_ipodguides.htm AND there's an APP for that if you have a smartphone. We really loved the Boboli Gardens, but that takes too long for a 3 hour stay. Enjoy the countryside on your way up there, it is beautiful!

If you've done Rome before, try one of the hilltowns, like Civita de Bagnoregio. My friend did a year there studying Etruscan architecture in the area (it's near Orvieto). Some of the cruise lines have shore excursions that take you up there. It's a long bridge uphill to get there, so not for the faint of heart. It was recently featured on the Amazing Race. Orvieto is a wonderful mid-sized city with a beautiful Duomo.

Edited by Cruise4Sunshine
additional info