Crossing the Atlantic

glo3479

Lots of threads on this topic for Windstar. Right now daily posts from someone doing TA on the Star Pride. You an search for these on the Windstar forums. General consensus is fabulous.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

We have completed 2 trans Atlantics on the Surf one each way, fabulous. You have to like solitude, quiet, and you need to be able to entertain yourself. Some fun activities on the ship. We did one Pacific crossing on the Wind Spirit, glorious. Absolutely helps that we had great weather and smooth seas on all three and we do not get sea sick in any way. Wonderful memories. Happy Sailing

So I wonder about small ships handling rough seas also and am contemplating a September transatlantic crossing on Pride. Would you advise against this if one takes medication to combat motion sickness? Is it really only recommended for folks with great sea legs?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

On the Star Pride right now, three days out of Lisbon, 15 foot swells. The ship is rocking gently and a fellow passenger who normally gets seasick ate some crystallized ginger and hasn’t had a problem. My concern is walking on solid ground after 2 weeks at sea! LOL!

On the Star Pride right now, three days out of Lisbon, 15 foot swells. The ship is rocking gently and a fellow passenger who normally gets seasick ate some crystallized ginger and hasn’t had a problem. My concern is walking on solid ground after 2 weeks at sea! LOL!

Hi russg140,

Thanks for the input. I’ve been following your excellent live review and know you’ve definitely encountered some high seas on this crossing. I guess the stabilizers must be pretty good on Pride if 15’ swells only cause a gentle rocking.

I know the weather can’t be predicted, yet just trying to decide if the possibility of a great adventure on a lovely small ship outweighs the possibility of paying money to be miserable for a number of days.

Sea sickness can be miserable, really miserable. You need tonask yourself how sick you get and do medications, patches, wrist bands work with you. That is truly the question you and only you can answer. You have to prepared for the worst. I think on the Wind Surf you get less movement in part due to the sails. Perhaps think of that ship. Beautiful. Most of the Captains I have spoken to they say in the fall from Lisbon to the Caribbean the seas are calmer and it is definately warmer. Can’t say from experience because the seas were calm both ways for us. It was truly a lot warmer going from Lisbon. Good Luck with your decision.

Thanks strenz. True about medication effectiveness. It’s actually my husband who has motion sickness, yet since the invention of Bonine he’s able to prepare and is much less affected. We were in the North Sea a couple years ago in 30-40’ seas on Celebrity. Vomit bags were discretely placed and the ship was a’rockin for a good 24 hours. We played Yahtzee, read, ate dinner and were fine, but rough seas aren’t ever fun in our opinion. I will say this Pride cruise I’m looking at is a repositioning Cruise, but isn’t a true Atlantic crossing. It moves from Iceland to Greenland, then makes its way to eastern Canada. There are 2 sets of two consecutive sea days between Iceland and Canada with stops in Greenland between. Perhaps not being in open water changes things somewhat.

Thanks strenz. True about medication effectiveness. It’s actually my husband who has motion sickness, yet since the invention of Bonine he’s able to prepare and is much less affected. We were in the North Sea a couple years ago in 30-40’ seas on Celebrity. Vomit bags were discretely placed and the ship was a’rockin for a good 24 hours. We played Yahtzee, read, ate dinner and were fine, but rough seas aren’t ever fun in our opinion. I will say this Pride cruise I’m looking at is a repositioning Cruise, but isn’t a true Atlantic crossing. It moves from Iceland to Greenland, then makes its way to eastern Canada. There are 2 sets of two consecutive sea days between Iceland and Canada with stops in Greenland between. Perhaps not being in open water changes things somewhat.

We are on that cruise. I would say it is in open water for those first sea days.

We've been in some high seas on both the Windsurf and the Star Legend, although much higher on the Legend. The Windsurf handled some 20' swells fairly easily, and it was not a storm. On the Legend, with 25' waves in a storm in the North Sea, the captain sheltered in the lee of a small British Isle. He had been running as fast as possible from Bergen, Norway for 2 days to get there. It was a big storm and every single item on the ship was tied down. I successfully walked to breakfast but it was 2 hands for the ship and none for yourself for about 12 hours. I do think this storm was more erratic than the swells we encountered on the Windsurf going transatlantic eastbound. The sailing ships are remarkably stable, in my opinion more so than the motor yachts.

Hi again, Sorry I thought you were going on the classic crossing. The North Atlantic is another ballgame. I am a sailer, I love the water, I was brought up on the N. Atlantic, but the cold North Atlantic, not so sure especially if you are inclined to sea sickness. Would take the sailing ships more than the motor yachts. I love WS yachts I think the sails have more stability. Then of course if you have good weather karma you will be fine. It is the sea sickness that worries me for your husband. Good Luck Happy Sailing

Thanks Pudge. Interesting about the sailing ships’ stability - seems to be the consensus. Is there a roll call thread started for this Pride repositioning cruise? I looked, but didn’t see one.

You’re welcome. I don’t know if there is a roll call. I generally don’t participate in those. :)