New Orleans restaurant recommendation

JackieT

We will be in New Orleans one night before the cruise. We know we want to hit Central Grocery during the day. We have been before and we ate at the nicer restaurants that are top in the city. This time, we feel like a more casual, less expensive place. Even pub food would be fine, but it has to be good! A place with good drinks would be a bonus. Any suggestions?

We really like Cafe Giovanni on Decatur. Chef Duke's feed me is a knock-out. Strolling singers (mostly operatic and show tunes) add to the atmosphere. Check out nomenu.com for the opinions of the guy I think is NOLA's best food critic. Have a good time whatever you choose, and thanks for coming to visit New Orleans.

Wow. I was on another message board that has nothing to do with travel.. Someone is going to NO on business and asked the "food question" and here was the response. I thought the info was so good that I did a copy and paste below. I bet someone can use all this great info.

Well, the Sheraton on Canal is an easy walk to everything I've mentioned so far. I'd say you can hit Palace Cafe (also on Canal) for a lunch, it's close enough. If you don't want to do lunch there, then definitely do an evening meal. They handle groups well. Make reservations for Palace through the hotel when you get there, I'm sure they have 'em on speed-dial. Palace is my most recommended place in NOLa, because, although it's not "the most elite" in terms of cuisine, Palace Cafe is still ideal in terms of trade-offs among all the other things, including quality of cuisine, ease of access, comfort and reliability, convenience, location, service, eclectic menu, and price. You get more of the best dining experience, and the food is nearly totally perfect. It's run by one of the many Brennan siblings. I'd give the food at Palace, alone, a solid A- to B+ (on my extremely rigorous New Orleanian scale, which probably ranks your Olde N'Awlins as a B- or so), the rest of it an A+. Noisy tho. And note the similar names: there is "Commander's Palace" (a great place, but not within a walk of the Sheraton) and "Palace Cafe" (which I'm recommending).

So, here's the pantheon, in my idiosyncratic opinion, in terms of overall experience:

A+ = Commander's Palace, Brightsen's, Galatoire's

A = Peristyle, Cafe August, K-Paul's (Paul Prudhomme's Louisiana Kitchen), Bayona

A- = Palace Cafe, Bacco

B+ = Arnaud's, Antoine's, Bourbon House

B = Mulatte's, Felix's, Acme Oysters, Asian Cajun (but these are all cheaper, and totally informal)

C = Emeril's anything (We don't like Emeril. He absconded in the wake of Katrina, took his tax headquarters to Orlando. )

D = Redfish Grill (trendy, overpriced, with warm old raw oysters, EEEEEEK!!), Mother's Po-Boys

F = Brennan's, Pat O'Brien's, Court of Two Sisters, Mr. B's, anything else on Bourbon Street, Bubba Gump's, Crescent City Brew House, Tujaque's in the FQ, Sbisa's, Louisiana Gumbo Company (mostly tourist traps)

Strictly in terms of food preparation, I'd have to say Brightsen's, Peristyle, Bacco, and Galatoire's are the best, Commander's Palace close second.

The above restaurants run the gamut from formal to casual, from expensive to cheap. Nearly all are in the FQ, most within an easy walk of the Sheraton. Brightsen's is a long cab ride away, Peristyle about as far away as possible while still technically in the FQ. I leave it up to you to find the addresses and phones and arrange things. Most will accept walk-ins on some basis, especially after regular dinner-hour on weeknights.

Breakfast at the Sheraton, by the way, is supposedly pretty darned good, as far as conference hotel bound fare goes. I haven't ever had it. They have a jazz brunch, too, but that's ... silly ... touristy.

Good old-style New Orleans bar: Napoleon House.

Good new bar(s): Molly's at the Market and the next door establishments.

Good dive: Harry's Corner

Good museum: Voodoo Museum on Bourbon Street (looks like a little silly podunk thing, but in fact, the people who run it actually BELIEVE in the gods and expect appropriate reverence, so it's a cool and weird experience)

Good jazz nightclub: Fritzel's on Bourbon (if anyone live is playing), all the "true jazz afficionados" know to congregate there

Other good jazz performances (depending on who is in town playing): Palm Court

Good public restroom: Monteleone Hotel (tall enough that you can find it from Bourbon street, generally). Just walk in like you own the place, the restrooms are toward the left of the check-in counter on the main floor.

Good tour: Voodoo or Haunted Tour (gets you across the FQ for orientation; available at night). Bad tour: all others. Don't get in a horse-and-buggy, the tour is idiotic and false and the price is even stupider.

Good walk for antiques and shoppes:

1. From the Sheraton head across Canal (with a map),

2. Proceed along Chartres (antiques! galleries!) as far as the Cathedral and Jackson Square.

3. Loop the Square for the Pontalba building shops and the Cathedral, Presbytiere, Cabildo. End at the far right corner for Cafe du Monde (beignets! cafe au lait!).

4. Brief excursion over the sea-wall to see the Mississppi River. Return to Cafe.

5. From Cafe continue farther along Decatur under French Market (pralines! gifts!) as far as Ursulines Street (or farther if you want to see Mint).

6. Then up Ursulines (or any other street) to Chartres. Look right for Convent and Beauregard-Keyes House.

7. From Ursulines and Chartres, return along Chartres until you get to where you've already been (Jackson Square), at which point go another block away from River to Royal (more antiques! books!).

8. Return all the way along Royal to Iberville (galleries! blue dogs! alleyways!).

9. Up Iberville another block to Bourbon. Then walk away from Canal on Bourbon, drinking at every possible establishment. Show your hooters to college frat boys, get the t-shirt. Or better yet, don't. Best, don't even go there, except for Galatoire's, the only good reason. Just skip step 9 all together.

When are you going to be here? This is starting to sound like fun ...

Options No rating

Well, I'd agree with much of what this person says. From the looks of the review it may be a bit dated because it lists Molly on the Market as a "new bar". I do love the Palace Cafe and he's close on most of the restaurants, but I'd have to disagree about Court of Two Sisters. I would have agreed a couple years ago, but they have gone through some changes and the last time I was there I was pretty impressed with them. I would give them at least a B.

I know this discussion is about places to eat in New Orleans, and the following deals with some of the other things in the post - so if you're just looking for restaurant info you can ignore it.

There are many better museums than the Voodoo Museum - although if you want to learn about Voodoo it's a good one. IMHO that would be pretty far down on my lists of ones to see.

My biggest problem was his "tour" recommendation. Again, the Voodoo or Haunted tours wouldn't be my first choice. Again, they are good if that's what you want, but there is SO much interesting history in this town. I have to say that I am a professional tour guide (on a volunteer basis) and was a bit hurt by the comment that all tours except the Voodoo or Haunted tours are bad ones. Tour guides in New Orelans are required to take training and pass a test to become licenced and most of them are very passionate about the city and love giving tours. In becoming a tour guide I was required to "take" at least 5 tours. I took many more because I found each guide gave a different tour. Yes, they hit several of the same spots - but each tour I took was unique. Now, giving tours, I also find each tour is different. So to dismiss all tours except for the Voodoo/Haunted ones (which I, personally, find more drama than tour) isn't right IMHO.

I do have to add a note on the buggy rides. First they are NOT horses, they are mules. Again I think the information may be a little dated. In the past many of the buggy drivers didn't know what they were talking about. They do not HAVE to take the training that licenced tour guides are required to take, but some of them DO take it. I have seen a big improvement in their knowledge about the city in the last couple years. And the cost IMHO is no more than you would pay for a buggy ride anywhere else. This isn't something I usually do, but it is enjoyable once in a while.

OK, now I'm going to get off my soapbox.

You'd have to take a cab, but my sister's friend just opened the "Best New Restaurant" (New Orleans Magazine) named "Iris". It is in the Carrollton/River Bend area on Jeanette St. I'd say dinner for two with drinks, appetizers, entrees and dessert would probably run about 135.00 without tip.

We eat there every time we go to New Orleans. I can't say enough about it.

Some other restaurants in that area are: Philip Chang's Asian Cajun restaurant and Jack-a-mo's (it is spelled strangely... I sounded it out).

Also, you can go to http://www.nomenu.com which is the web site for the local restaurant critic, Tom Fitzmorris.

We drove down for the day yesterday and ate at Pontalba's. They had the best pasta jambalya I've ever put in my mouth! My sister had the crawfish pie which was devine! My son had the barbque shrimp and it was great as well! We've been to New Orleans too many times to count and this is the first time I've eaten there. It won't be the last!

I agree with the Gumbo Shop. It's also very good. We used to go to Maspero's for the Muffalatta but have outgrown it since my son is old enough to expand his taste buds.

It was a BEAUTIFUL day in the Big Easy yesterday. More folks were out than I've seen since the byatch came to town. It was nice to see people returning to a city that I love!

All the restaurants you list are great but don't forget about Irene's in the quarter or Tommy's Cuisine in the warehouse district. I live in N.O. and these to are some of the best Restaurants around. If Deannie's in Bucktown is open then you will love the monster Seafood Platter for two. There is a Deli on Camp St. called Welty's for lunch you can't beat there daily specials. The Asian Cajun is also one of my favorites. The name is wierd but the food is great. Galatoire's is my all time favorite but a bit pricey and you have to get there early to wait in line for a table, but well worth it. Palace Cafe is good, so is NOLA. Mothers is expensive for a sandwich place but the food is real New Orleans, get a Ferdi Special, a truly great po-boy sandwich. There are so many good place to eat here it's hard to remember them all. Just ask a local when you get here, everyone's got their own favorite place to eat.

I'm from N.O., and my favorite place for lunch is GUMBO SHOP. I also like Cafe Pontalba. They're about a half block apart, right at St. Louis Cathedral in the square. Can't go wrong with either.

I like Irene's for dinner, as well as Commanders Palace (where I was one of the chefs), and Mike Anderson's Seafood. Someone mentioned Court of Two Sisters - forget it. Service and food have gone down over the years. Galatoires is a bit fussy for my taste. Emeril's is just ok, in my opinion. Emeril's Delmonico is better but also much higher. (And don't expect to see Emeril in any of his restaurants - he seems to never be there.) Pity he's spread his talents so thin.;)

• 2 weeks later...

it was actually 3 course with a side, but here's the c&p from their website's menu at www.gumboshop.com. Their menu in itself is good without doing this creole dinner special.

COMPLETE CREOLE DINNER

Select 1 item per group; tax & gratuity not included.

Seafood Okra Gumbo

Chicken Andouille Gumbo or

Seasonal Green Salad

Creole Combination Platter (Shrimp Creole, Jambalaya, Red Beans & Rice)

Crawfish Etouffee or

Chicken Espagnole

Creole Creamed Spinach

Garlic Mashed Potatoes or

Smothered Turnip Greens

Praline Sundae

Chocolate Brownie Pie

Hot Bread Pudding with Whiskey Sauce or

Southern Pecan Pie

$19.99

I'm from N.O,

Hi Cotton. I've noticed that often offer you insight to first time N.O. travelers. So I am in hopes that you would offer your thoughts on the following: Which are would be better to stay in Decatur St in the 100's or Esplanade Ave closer to the river? I've heard from friends that certain areas are to mstay away from at night. Could this just be friends out of their comfort zone, or are there areas to avoid at night? Thanks so much for any assistance you can give.

Pat

Pat,

Decatur from Canal to Esplanade is in the French Quarter and this is the first street from the river going through the FQ. The closer you are to Esplanade the quieter it might be. We´ve stayed in the Le Richelieu at Chartres/Barracks and we were totally fine there (I´ve posted a review in another thread). The area closer to Esplanade is more residential and less touristy. Down on Decatur you´ll be fine. I won´t really recommend being north of Bourbon and I definitely won´t recommend any hotel on North Rampart.

steamboats

Hi Cotton. I've noticed that often offer you insight to first time N.O. travelers. So I am in hopes that you would offer your thoughts on the following: Which are would be better to stay in Decatur St in the 100's or Esplanade Ave closer to the river? I've heard from friends that certain areas are to mstay away from at night. Could this just be friends out of their comfort zone, or are there areas to avoid at night? Thanks so much for any assistance you can give.

Pat

This interactive site will help you get an idea of the general area. Scroll down to the map and click on an intersection for photos.

http://www.vieuxcarre.org/

• 7 months later...

If all goes well, we will arrive around noon the day before our cruise.

We are staying at Drury, which looks close enough to walk to the French Quarter to do some site seeing.

All of these restaurants sound so good… I’ll have to find one fairly close to our hotel. We like to walk, so anything within three miles of the hotel is good.

Plus I think we’ll want to eat dinner early… I have a feeling it’s going to be extremely busy in the area with the Championship Football game there the weekend we are there.

What are the ‘must do’s’ for a one day stint in NO?

I have to try beignets when we are there. I have never had one and they sound wonderful. :D

I have one night pre cruise and am staying at the Iberville Suites with my DH and two teenage kids ( 16 & 18). We wanted to do the 8:00 pm Ghost Tour in the French Quarter and wanted a good casual dinner suggestion for before the tour. How far a walk is it to where the tour begins??? I was leaning towards going to the Acme Oyster House. From what I have read, this seems like a good plan and is close to the Iberville Suites. Any Feedback on the tour, and also a good suggestion for someplace to listen to music and walk around after the tour. thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

Acme is good if you like fried food. Everything is fried or raw in my experience. All of my family and friends I have traveled with loved it. I did not b/c I am not big on fried anything. I am weird enough to not even like fries or chips. All my pudge comes from sweets!

If you are looking for friendly, affordable food, Cafe Maspero can't be beat. I have eaten there many times and LOVED everything from the hamburgers to the red beans and rice. They have a varied menu.

Can't wait till , my cruise so I can eat in NOLA for 2 days!!!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

shark&minnow,

RiverWalk is a shopping mall and there are a couple of restaurants in it. See here

http://www.riverwalkmarketplace.com/html/

As far as I know there´s nothing worth in there regarding the restaurants. But I´ll leave it up to the locals. I´ve never eaten there. There´s a Café du Monde if you need some more beignets.

If you´re talking about the Moonwalk that´s a walkway on the dam along the river which is going from the Gov. Nicholls St Wharf to the Riverfront Park. See here

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=de&geocode=&q=New+Orleans,+LA&ie=UTF8&ll=29.955269,-90.060232&spn=0.008347,0.014591&t=h&z=16&*****=0

There are no restaurants along the Moonwalk. Going upriver you pass the Aquarium of the Americas, then Canal Street Ferry, next is the Spanish Plaza followed by the RiverWalk Mall.

steamboats

What is the river walk area like? Any good restaurants on the water front?

Thank you

Not the kind you find on other riverwalks. There is Drago's in the Hilton - well worth a lunch or dinner. Haven't been to the one there, so I'm not sure if it overlooks the river or not. Riverwalk Marketplace (the mall on the river) does have some eating places in it - but nothing special.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived