Santorini - Fira

Bubbles forever

Hi everyone, we are stopping at Santorini during our cruise next month and wondered what was at Fira other than the cable car station? Are there shops, cafes, etc. to wander around for a couple of hours?

Also, can you pick up a local bus from there to take you to Oia, or is that not advisable?

Many thanks

Yes, Fira is a town at the top of the cable car. Lots of shops and restaurants. Some of the restaurants are situated right along the edge of the cliff and have stunning views. You can easily take the public bus to Oia and back. The bus station is just a short walk through town. When you exit the cable car go to the right (with your back to the sea) for a bit and look for it towards the "back" of the town (away from the cliff). Its difficult to give precise directions since Fira is a (very pretty!) maze of little unmarked pedestrian only lanes but it is a small place so if you just wander in that general direction and ask for it to be pointed out you will easily find it.

There's just a small café/bar at the tender pier at the foot of the cliff, but as T-2some's post Fira is a fair sized place at the top of the cliff, OK for a lazy couple of hours, especially for the views.

Some bars/restaurants offer van tour tickets from Fira to Oia.

It's little more than a transfer, the van will give you something like 90 mins in Oia then take you back to Fira. Costs more than the local bus, but the main advantage is that guaranteed transport back to Fira - I've heard stories of a scramble for the local buses back and IMHO it's worth the extra cost for the peace-of-mind

JB :)

Many thanks Travelling2some and John Bull, much appreciated. It's good to know there's a few shops and places to wander at the top of the cable car as we're travelling with elderly relatives who may not fancy the bus to Oia.

Many thanks

Bubbles

Hi Bubbles,

Fira is a great town to wander around and yes, you can easily catch at bus or taxi to take you to Oia. Just watch your timing for coming back to the ship- sometimes the lineup for the cable car can be very long.

We stayed in Fira for a few days a couple of years ago. He is my photo blog so you can get an idea of what Fira and Oia look like.http://maryandnormtravel.blogspot.com/2015/11/greece-part-3-santorini-sept-2015.html

Bubbles, if the cable car lines are very long on the way down just go up to the front and tell them you have elderly relatives with you, they usually have priority access for seniors. But you have to ask :)

There is also the Prehistoric Museum of Fira to consider. It is a small museum with artifacts recovered from Akortiri and other areas.

I've heard this is excellent and, if my memory is correct, it is over by the bus station. A bit of shopping, a bit of café sitting and a small air conditioned museum would make for a lovely day that is not too physically taxing.

Hi Bubbles,

Fira is a great town to wander around and yes, you can easily catch at bus or taxi to take you to Oia. Just watch your timing for coming back to the ship- sometimes the lineup for the cable car can be very long.

We stayed in Fira for a few days a couple of years ago. He is my photo blog so you can get an idea of what Fira and Oia look like.http://maryandnormtravel.blogspot.com/2015/11/greece-part-3-santorini-sept-2015.html

Thanks Marysb for your comments and sharing your photos - Fira looks lovely and looking forward to our visit there. Thank you

Bubbles, if the cable car lines are very long on the way down just go up to the front and tell them you have elderly relatives with you, they usually have priority access for seniors. But you have to ask :)

Hi Prish, this is an excellent tip, many thanks indeed. I must admit I was slightly worried about the queues for my elderly companions, especially how hot it is likely to be when we visit. Many thanks :)