MSC Grand Voyages (Repositioning Cruises) October 2014 - April 2015

Skipper Tim

This thread is an attempt to draw together discussions on the as-yet-unreleased MSC repositioning itineraries October & November 2014 and March & April 2015.

The facts

Here is a table setting out, for each ship, the very last date and port of all currently advertised itineraries. This is drawn from the UK, US and Italian MSC web sites. Any corrections are welcome.

The point being that, unless a ship is taken out of service for a time immediately after current itineraries, these are the dates and ports from which any repositioning cruises will commence.

Finally, (in brackets), I have added the current port where each ship is based. If a ship has the same base port one year's hence, then that is likely the destination of the first repo and the origin of the second. These could well be shuffled or changed completely - we have witnessed that to our detriment with the change of cruising ground of the MSC Armonia from Red Sea to the Canaries this (Northern hemisphere) winter.

The limit of knowledge table

Key: ship, end date, end port, (base port now, ie. 1 year before)

MSC Armonia, 17th October, Venice (Gran Canaria)

MSC Divina, 4th April 2015, Miami (Miami)

MSC Fantasia, 2nd November, Venice (Genoa)

MSC Lirica, 7th November, Civitavecchia (Dubai)

MSC Magnifica, 19th October, Hamburg (Santos)

MSC Musica, 15th November, Genoa (Santo Domingo)

MSC Opera, 7th October, Southampton (Durban)

MSC Orchestra, 5th November, Venice ( Rio de Janeiro & Santos)

MSC Poesia, 17th November, Genoa (Buenos Aires)

MSC Preziosa, 8th November, Venice (Santos)

MSC Sinfonia, 16th November, Genoa (Durban & Cape Town)

MSC Splendida, 16th November, Genoa (Genoa)

Let us repo cruise people use this thread to discuss our interests and share any knowledge.

Tim.

Well one I'd definitely be interested in is the outward bound sailing taking a ship out to Australia in early 2015 for the Gallipoli commemoration charter. Wonder if it will go on general sale and whether you'll be able to book a segment.

But that's 2015 and we are still waiting for Autumn 2014!

Had a look at a vosta repo last night on the Pacifica from Santos to buenos Aires. Quite a nice itinerary, not such a nice price and it looks like the ship is a garish as the Favolosa!

I've got a feeling we are going to have to wait until January to see MSCs though.

Well one I'd definitely be interested in is the outward bound sailing taking a ship out to Australia in early 2015 for the Gallipoli commemoration charter. Wonder if it will go on general sale and whether you'll be able to book a segment.

But that's 2015 and we are still waiting for Autumn 2014!

I hadn't heard about that and having read this thread I am totally confused. What do you know and how?

Edited by Skipper Tim

Thanks for pulling this together. Our eldest son is sitting his GCSEs in 2014, so probably won't manage our usual Grand Cruise at Easter. 2015 is a possibility again as ASs are perhaps not so important.

The trips to South Africa and Dubai look good. A useful addition to your excellent table might be the usual length of cruise between these ports. I have no idea what that would be or I would update myself.

Putting together the pieces, we now have MSC Poesia in Freemantle, Australia on 26th March 2015 ready to start the 100th anniversary Anzac cruise ending in Civitavecchia 30th April. So the question arises, how will the Poesia get to Freemantle and from where?

According to this thread, the Orchestra will be joining the Poesia...

Mick

we are looking to go other way as there is now another ship I've sent details to Harold

The MSC Orchestra has been designated now to go out to Freemantle from Dubai leaving Dubai Saturday 21st February arriving thursday 26th March 2015 33 days via

Dubai, Mumbai, Cochin, Colombo, Phuket, Langkawi, Singapore, Benoa, Cairns, Brisbane, Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide, Fremantle

David

... putting her Dubai February 21st. Does this mean that the Orchestra will be replacing the Lirica operating out of Dubai for the Winter or is Dubai a stop along the way of an even bigger repo?

This Daily Telegraph article puts the entire Lirica Class bar the Opera at Gallipoli on 25th April.

All these one-off movements compounds the task of predicting repos in Spring 2015. The 100th Anzac Day anniversary has a lot to answer for, not least the possibility of some very interesting repo itineraries to look forward to.

BTW, there is a Wikipedia entry for Anzac Day. Most moving are the words of Ataturk, the founder and first president of the modern Turkish state who was the commander of the Ottoman Army defending Gallipoli at the time. The 8-month stalemate is known for the scale of the loss of life on both sides.

"Those heroes that shed their blood and lost their lives, you are now lying in the soil of a friendly country. Therefore rest in peace. There is no difference between the Johnnies and the Mehmets to us where they lie side by side here in this country of ours. You, the mothers, who sent their sons from far away countries, wipe away your tears. Your sons are now lying in our bosom and are in peace after having lost their lives on this land they have become our sons as well."

Edited by Skipper Tim

Thanks for pulling this together. Our eldest son is sitting his GCSEs in 2014, so probably won't manage our usual Grand Cruise at Easter. 2015 is a possibility again as ASs are perhaps not so important.

The trips to South Africa and Dubai look good. A useful addition to your excellent table might be the usual length of cruise between these ports. I have no idea what that would be or I would update myself.

See MSC Grand Voyages to get an idea of itineraries and durations. The longer ones, i.e. between Europe and South America, South Africa or the Middle East are 16-19 nights.

Putting together the pieces, we now have MSC Poesia in Freemantle, Australia on 26th March 2015 ready to start the 100th anniversary Anzac cruise ending in Civitavecchia 30th April. ."

That sounds interesting. Unfortunately we are going to Australia and New Zealand already next year. Wonderful itinerary (in total 59 nights :)). Crystal cruises from Santiago de Chile via Eastern Islands, Tahiti, Bora Bora etc, etc. to Auckland and from Auckland to Australia with Celebrity.

But if the Poesia is going to Australia, which ship will go to Buenos Aires? I hope they will not drop Buenos Aires... I like it more than Santos to start my annual migration to Europe.

But if the Poesia is going to Australia, which ship will go to Buenos Aires? I hope they will not drop Buenos Aires... I like it more than Santos to start my annual migration to Europe.

A charter of this length is obviously going to take a ship out of its regular service for the length of the charter plus whatever time it takes to reach Australia. Given that repositioning cruises generally sell for less as they involve two one-way flights, among other reasons, I would have thought that MSC would seek to minimise the length of the repo before the charter. The nearest regular base port at that time of year is actually Dubai.

Now, the original ship booked for this charter was a Lirica class ship as is the one (the Lirica herself) currently based in Dubai. Apparently demand for the cruise has exceeded expectations and the charterer has switched to a Musica class ship - the Poesia. To me, that would imply that the Poesia will leave Genoa 17th November for a repo to Dubai and for a shortened Winter season. The itinerary from Dubai to Freemantle I quoted from our friend Daffydd above, would not be the Orchestra's as he thought but rather her sister ship, the Poesia. So the Poesia will winter based in Dubai, repo to Freemantle and return to Rome on the Anzacs charter, 30th April 2015.

This begins to make some sort of sense now. What do others think?

I could be very interested in a repo on th Poesia from Genoa to Dubai, through Suez, starting 17th November. Dubai is Avios-friendly :).

Edited by Skipper Tim

A charter of this length is obviously going to take a ship out of its regular service for the length of the charter plus whatever time it takes to reach Australia. Given that repositioning cruises generally sell for less as they involve two one-way flights, among other reasons, I would have thought that MSC would seek to minimise the length of the repo before the charter. The nearest regular base port at that time of year is actually Dubai.

Now, the original ship booked for this charter was a Lirica class ship as is the one (the Lirica herself) currently based in Dubai. Apparently demand for the cruise has exceeded expectations and the charterer has switched to a Musica class ship - the Poesia. To me, that would imply that the Poesia will leave Genoa 17th November for a repo to Dubai and for a shortened Winter season. The itinerary from Dubai to Freemantle I quoted from our friend Daffydd above, would not be the Orchestra's as he thought but rather her sister ship, the Poesia. So the Poesia will winter based in Dubai, repo to Freemantle and return to Rome on the Anzacs charter, 30th April 2015.

This begins to make some sort of sense now. What do others think?

I could be very interested in a repo on th Poesia from Genoa to Dubai, through Suez, starting 17th November. Dubai is Avios-friendly :).

Tim

google

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=40728253&posted=1#post40728253

port arrivals Freemantle Port 26th March 2015 Cruise Schedule MSC Orchestra arrival 26th March 2015 departure 27th March 2015, it is also of Knobbs Point Cairns on the 13th Cruisetimetables.com

Tim

google

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=40728253&posted=1#post40728253

port arrivals Freemantle Port 26th March 2015 Cruise Schedule MSC Orchestra arrival 26th March 2015 departure 27th March 2015, it is also of Knobbs Point Cairns on the 13th Cruisetimetables.com

Sorry wrong link

http://www.msccruises.com/gl_en/Cruise-Departures/Cruise-Details-MSC-Orchestra.aspx?cruise_id=OR20150221DXBFRE&ship_code=OR

David, that is brilliant thanks but can you find a similar page to show how the Poesia gets to Australia?

My feeling is that the Orchestra was booked, after the Sinfonia originally then MSC switched to the Poesia. Elsewhere for the short Lirica class cruises out of Istanbul for Anzac day, I have seen phrases like 'name-of-ship (or other Lirica class ship)' used. My guess is that the Poesia was substituted since the page from your link was published. I could very easily be wrong.

David, that is brilliant thanks but can you find a similar page to show how the Poesia gets to Australia?

My feeling is that the Orchestra was booked, after the Sinfonia originally then MSC switched to the Poesia. Elsewhere for the short Lirica class cruises out of Istanbul for Anzac day, I have seen phrases like 'name-of-ship (or other Lirica class ship)' used. My guess is that the Poesia was substituted since the page from your link was published. I could very easily be wrong.

I am afraid not as this cruise is still being shown under grand ocean voyages

David

I am afraid not as this cruise is still being shown under grand ocean voyages

David

But the Poesia is not. I will happily bet you your favourite drink that the Orchestra is not going to Australia in 2015.

I had forgotten what a good resource the global MSC site is if there is not a local site in your own country. It lists all known itineraries but without prices nor the facility to book. This is all I can now access when in Greece. It is also the slowest to be updated!!!!

On the global site, the Orchestra's previous Grand Voyage, to Dubai from Venice, is corrupted. Another clue.

http://www.msccruises.com/gl_en/Cruise-Departures/Find-Your-Cruise.aspx?Reg=POS&DateF=201407&DateT=201502&ddl=y&p=1&

From not knowing anything about the 100th Anniversary Gallipoli charter yesterday, I found the discussions of this charter here on CC dating back to 2011. MSC simply cannot organise itineraries so far in advance. They struggle with a year in advance. I am sure many things have changed since the contract, but allowed for within the terms. MSC will only have known relatively recently which ship they will supply. The Poesia is a sister of the Orchestra. There is no advertising of any other ship than the Poesia doing this run. Google to death and there is nothing - hardly a way of selling an expensive long cruise.

When we meet, buy me a good glass of red wine please :).

Tim.

YQSD.jpg.45e064171b33dad0d6c2604d4029cb9b.jpg

Edited by Skipper Tim

The Dubai-Fremantle cruise in February 2015 looks VERY interesting.

Doesn't it just! Certainly one I'll be watching out it going on sale. Wonder of they'd let me get off in Cairns as there is no way my boss would let me have 5 weeks off at one time. Or maybe they'd let me join at Singapore!

Still a repo out to Dubai in 2014 would definitely be doable

Edited by AmoMondo

Updated facts and best guesses based on currently-known information. I have put all speculation in brackets, added likely durations as requested and updated known information about the Gallipoli anniversary charters which are on sale but obviously not with MSC. In the absence of any other information the best guess is that a ship will return to its base one year earlier, i.e. where it is based now.

Does anyone know if MSC have a new ship under construction? That would complicate matters.

The Limit of Knowledge Table

key: Ship, start or end date & port (best guess)

Repositioning Cruises START dates/ports by ship

MSC Armonia, 17th October 2014, Venice (currently Gran Canaria, may return to Sharm el-Sheikh, either 10-11 nights)

MSC Armonia 27th April 2015, Istanbul (probably to Venice, 3-4 nights or 1 night without passengers)

MSC Divina, 4th April 2015, year-round Miami

MSC Fantasia, 2nd November 2014, year-round Genoa/Venice

MSC Lirica, 7th November 2014, Civitavecchia (currently Dubai but possibly replaced by Poesia there, so perhaps Gran Canaria or Sharm el Sheikh, either 10-11 nights)

MSC Magnifica, 19th October 2014, Hamburg (Santos, 17-18 nights)

MSC Musica, 15th November 2014, Genoa (Santo Domingo, Caribbean, 13-15 nights)

MSC Opera, 7th October 2014, Southampton (Durban, 18-19 nights)

MSC Orchestra, 5th November 2014, Venice (Rio de Janeiro & Santos, 16-17 nights)

MSC Poesia, 17th November 2014, Genoa (currently Buenos Aires but possibly going to Dubai, either 16-18 nights)

MSC Poesia, (21st February, 2015, Dubai to Fremantle, Australia, 33 nights)

MSC Preziosa, 8th November 2014, Venice (Santos, 16-18 nights)

MSC Sinfonia, 16th November 2014, Genoa (Durban & Cape Town, 18-19 nights)

MSC Splendida, 16th November 2014, year-round Genoa

Repositioning Cruises END dates/ports by ship

MSC Poesia 23rd March 2015 Fremantle, Australia (probably from Dubai, starting 21st February 2015, 33 nights)

MSC Armonia 18th April 2015, Istanbul (possibly from Gran Canaria or Sharm el Sheikh, 6-9 nights)

I wonder if we will still get the same UK bargain repo rates (£25/£35/£45 per night, inside/outside/balcony) without solo supplement?

Tim.

Edited by Skipper Tim

Doesn't it just! Certainly one I'll be watching out it going on sale. Wonder of they'd let me get off in Cairns as there is no way my boss would let me have 5 weeks off at one time. Or maybe they'd let me join at Singapore!

Still a repo out to Dubai in 2014 would definitely be doable

Mairi, I assume you meant 2015, you are already booked (by us:)) for the Spring repo 2014.

Given your immense experience of MSC, how likely do you think it is that a long repo like this (Dubai-Fremantle) will be priced like other MSC repos?

If it were Cunard or another line that has annual World cruises, they would charge an arm and a leg for a World cruise segment such as this. MSC doesn't do World cruises so may not have the customer base able or willing to take such a long cruise and one-way. Also, long haul flights are very pricey and off-putting (unless, like us, you have Avios). Perhaps it will be less per night than usual?

The advantage of being self-employed is being able to approve my own holidays. Besides, with an iPad and an internet connection, one can work anywhere now.

I have only looked up the Perth-Manchester (UK) Avios fares so far: 50,000 Avios + £192 economy, 100,000 Avios + £233 business with just one stop at Doha with the rather well-respected Qatar Airways. The total journey time on the day I picked out of the air was 21 hours 20 mins.

I have never been to Australia and have a couple of friends living in two of the ports of call there. I can see that I will have to save up.

Mairi, I assume you meant 2015, you are already booked (by us:)) for the Spring repo 2014.

yeah, was looking at the 2 Grand voyages for Posia in nov 2014 to Dubai and Dubai to Australia in 2015. I could not possibly forget I'm joining you on the Armonia in March 2014!

Given your immense experience of MSC, how likely do you think it is that a long repo like this (Dubai-Fremantle) will be priced like other MSC repos?

your guessBA is as good as mine. The longest I've done was 21 nights down to Durban. They didn't have the £25/35/45 structure but they did do zero supplement, although I don't think the prices were much out on that. Think I paid in the region of £1100-1300 for a suite. I'd be more confident about predicting once we see what they do for Autumn 2014

IFAD it were Cunard or another line that has annual World cruises, they would charge an arm and a leg for a World cruise segment such as this. MSC doesn't do World cruises so may not have the customer base able or willing to take such a long cruise and one-way. Also, long haul flights are very pricey and off-putting (unless, like us, you have Avios). Perhaps it will be less per night than usual?

lets hope so. Nearest comparison might be Costa as they do world cruises and sell segments but even their standard repos are not quite as favourable for us solos.

The advantage of being self-employed is being able to approve my own holidays. Besides, with an iPad and an internet connection, one can work anywhere now.

very true. Unfortunately for me, I need to be physically present most of the time. Plans for an early retirement may now also be a distant dream as my company are threatening to freeze pensionable pay for the remainder of our service, so may need to start AVCs and for a while to get back to the position I expected to be in.

I have only looked up the Perth-Manchester (UK) Avios fares so far: 50,000 Avios + £192 economy, 100,000 Avios + £233 business with just one stop at Doha with the rather well-respected Qatar Airways. The total journey time on the day I picked out of the air was 21 hours 20 mins.

been to Australia 4 times totalling 6 months ( when I was junior they allowed me to do B2B with annual leav and take 2 months off, but was paid peanuts and had to save up for 3 years to do so. Now I'm well paid and could afford a big trip annually, but can't get the time off. Oh hum, nothing is perfect. Something is always scare!) shortest route I ever had was 17 hours LHR to Perth direct (Qantas). Worst was single flight from Brisbane to LHR of 28 hours with BA it was 8 hours before we even left Australia with stops in Sydney, Melbourne and Darwin!). If I were going again for a land trip, I'd seriously consider Emirates via Dubai - was seriously impressed with them a few weeks ago. Not quite too familiar with how quickly I could wrack up a free trip with them but will probably have another 2 trips next year with work to India so should give me quite a lot of points to trade.Fantastic place and would love to go back. Weather in March is fine for Sydney and Perth but not so great for cairns - very wet season with cyclone risk.

I have never been to Australia and have a couple of friends living in two of the ports of call there. I can see that I will have to save up.

My thoughts above Tim.one thing that is concerning me a bit, is that MDC UK may not goining to be as solo friendly next year. I've tried looking at a few cruise in man, February and the summer and they all come up to available for occupancy. Then again it could just be the dire website again!

Mairi.

Edited by AmoMondo

My thoughts above Tim.one thing that is concerning me a bit, is that MDC UK may not goining to be as solo friendly next year. I've tried looking at a few cruise in man, February and the summer and they all come up to available for occupancy. Then again it could just be the dire website again!

Mairi.

Fingers crossed, fingers crossed.

We may have to throw our collective weight about to get a reasonable bargain.

Edited by Skipper Tim

I have tought the Magnifica had experience some damage in Pireus. This means it has been already repaired?

I understand the repair did not take that long and she caught up with her itinerary. She is currently in position in Genoa.

********************/schiffsposition.php?schiff=Magnifica

EDIT: It appears CC won't let me post that link. Replace the stars with www dot sea scanner dot com.

Tim.

Edited by Skipper Tim

A clarification update only. If anyone has any further repositioning cruise information or clues, please be so kind as to post here.

key: known facts (best guess itinerary in brackets)

Repositioning Cruises start dates/ports by ship

MSC Armonia, 17th October 2014, from Venice (to Gran Canaria or Sharm el-Sheikh, 10-11 nights)

MSC Armonia 27th April 2015, from Istanbul (to Venice, 3-4 nights or 1 night without passengers)

MSC Divina, 4th April 2015, year-round Miami

MSC Fantasia, 2nd November 2014, year-round Genoa/Venice

MSC Lirica, 7th November 2014, from Civitavecchia (to Gran Canaria or Sharm el Sheikh, either 10-11 nights)

MSC Magnifica, 19th October 2014, from Hamburg (to Santos, 17-18 nights)

MSC Musica, 15th November 2014, from Genoa (to Santo Domingo, Caribbean, 13-15 nights)

MSC Opera, 7th October 2014, from Southampton (to Durban, 18-19 nights)

MSC Orchestra, 5th November 2014, from Venice (to Rio de Janeiro or Santos, 16-17 nights)

MSC Poesia, 17th November 2014, from Genoa (to Dubai, 16-18 nights)

MSC Poesia, (21st February, 2015, from Dubai to Fremantle, Australia, 33 nights)

MSC Preziosa, 8th November 2014, from Venice (to Santos, 16-18 nights)

MSC Sinfonia, 16th November 2014, from Genoa (to Durban or Cape Town, 18-19 nights)

MSC Splendida, 16th November 2014, year-round Genoa

Repositioning Cruises end dates/ports by ship

MSC Poesia ending 23rd March 2015 at Fremantle, Australia (from Dubai, starting 21st February 2015, 33 nights)

MSC Armonia ending 18th April 2015 at Istanbul (from Gran Canaria or Sharm el Sheikh, 6-9 nights)